News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 24, 2021, 07:20:18 AM
Spoiler
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 23, 2021, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 23, 2021, 03:29:39 AM
My English is not too great other than basics so I dont do well with idioms and figurative speech. Usually I speak in literal sense.
And I should had said reasoning over evidence sorry about that. It's just the largest animals on land today have larger males, the largest reptiles and birds have larger Males, and the largest terrestrial carnivores have larger males.
Correct me if I am wrong we know atleast protoceratops had larger males. And we could bracket further to crocodiles and most modern birds, which have larger males.

I feel like the thread might be derailed so you want to talk in p.m. s
Also I want you to know that I hope I don't come off as rude, cherry picking, or denying,  I just want to have a fun and academic discussion like you my friend. Also sorry if there are typos or wierd autocorrects.
Mammals have larger males due mostly to mating behaviour. They are larger because they are either living alone away from the protective groups of females, or are expected to out-compete females to hold territory and get mates.

The largest birds don't have larger males. Nor do "the majority of modern birds". It's the norm in birds for the female to be slightly larger as in most species she will do the majority of the work protecting the nest, and needs to carry the eggs beforehand.

Crocodilians don't even have larger males per-se, as while most of the largest specimens are presumed to be male, males grow faster. They end up at similar averages when looking only at very old captive specimens as they top out at around the same final lengths, but females need to live longer to reach the same sizes hence males averaging larger from totals of population.
[close]
Are you familiar with Ostriches. Besides the claims of your second two paragraphs are false
I dont know where u got them from.
Male ostriches are larger again for mating behaviour related reasons, as the males woo females by defending swaths of territory from would-be predators.

Other large birds do not have larger males. Pelicans, condors, bustards, hornbills, it's far from just eagles that don't. Ostriches are an exception, not the norm, and we can even point to the exact reason they are an exception.

From Wikipedia:
"Crocodilians show pronounced sexual dimorphism, with males growing much larger and more rapidly than females."
https://web.archive.org/web/20050720011236/http://eprint.uq.edu.au/archive/00002011/02/croc.pdf
This, again, is tied directly to mating behaviours where males protect territory in order to woo females. Their large size is due to intraspecific combat. The smaller the species the smaller the size discrepancy, and in some (only bothered to check Cuvier's caimans, as there was no preexisting stats on this I could find) that difference is pretty profound at sexual maturity, but diminishes gradually looking at the largest specimens as the females eventually become almost the same length. Recently mature females are around 1.2 meters, while males are around 1.4, but the males stop growing around 1.6 and the females can continue growing with old females reaching 1.4 meters.

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 24, 2021, 01:03:18 PM
Does anyone know if the Krono has any large notable inaccuracies?
The teeth are misplaced, they should be placed more "traditionally" in the skull, like toothed whales. The splayed teeth were ultimately found to be a taphonomic artifact. And the tail fluke should most likely be vertical rather than horizontal, evidence based on expected swimming motions suggests a vertical fluke, while compressed bones would suggest a horizontal one, but could just be taphonomic because the specimens were compressed belly down when fossilized. I would also say the back of the skull is shrink-wrapped, but not to a degree it's impossible, just less likely than a smooth head surface.

ceratopsian

The best way to be sure about the stand is to ask PNSO themselves via Amazon.  I don't use Instagram but maybe you can contact them that way as well.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 24, 2021, 01:20:08 PM

Does Jeff come with a stand or not? The photos on their official instagram show it with a stand, but their Amazon store doesn't (it shows the stand for all the other figures that come with one).

Faras

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Jeff comes with two theropod stands.

Carnoking

I thought aliexpress shops weren't doing the sale prices anymore?

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on July 24, 2021, 02:29:19 PM
Wow, I've got a lot of catching up to do!  For now I'll just post my thoughts on one thing:

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 09, 2021, 04:59:33 PM
If PNSO or Safari does make a new cryo I hope it's not another skinny or feathery one. I can't wait to see a blubbery and robust one

As far as I know blubber is only known to be present in animals that spend a lot of time in water, so it seems unprecented for Cryolophosaurus.  The Battat Cryolophosaurus is a good figure of a robust Cryolophosaurus.  However, there is no figure of a fully feathered Cryolophosaurus, and it would be great for one to exist, so I hope PNSO or Safari make one.
Maybe blubber was the wrong term. I dont really see cryolophosaurus as a fast pursuit predator, but rather as an ambush predator, or even a piscivore, but I will have to do more research on this when I get the time. And I have to disagree.  While the battat cryolophosaurus is a nice figure it's far to skinny. The papo one is nice and more robust but has a bad pose. Carnegie's is the best

SidB

Xiatao032, an online eBay seller is listing the PNSO Nanotyrannus (juvenile T-rex) for 19.99 USD with free shipping. I grabbed one, supposedly one left. Shipping will be slow though.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek
Spoiler
once again all the large birds you listed are male dominated , although in some of the species(usually the smallest versions of the aforementioned birds) the females are almost the size or larger.
Pelicans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican#Description
Condors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor#Description
Bustards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustard#Description
Hornbills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornbill#Description

As for crocodilians I don't see how that proves anything. Yeah the males are larger, and that's it, they are larger, so it's logical to apply it to extinct relatives.

If you want to continue the discussion, don't do it here, send me a P.M
[close]
Also I see many wanting more ornithopods. But in reality I could really use some hollow 1;40 sauropods. Maybe

Faras

Kronosaurus and T. rex /Sinoceratops bookstands from crowdfunding shipped earlier ( first in hand pics should appear on Tieba tomorrow)... making me a bit concerned with Q. C. since too many new figures atm (on Chinese pages they wrote that pre ordered new T. rex would be shipped before 1st August).

SRF

No sign of in hand pictures of Andrea yet? I'm very curious to how she compares to Wilson. :)
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

Quote from: SRF on July 25, 2021, 06:43:45 PM
No sign of in hand pictures of Andrea yet? I'm very curious to how she compares to Wilson. :)

Sadly no  :( Probably need to wait till last days of July or 1st-2nd August :o

SRF

Quote from: Faras on July 25, 2021, 07:34:59 PM
Quote from: SRF on July 25, 2021, 06:43:45 PM

Sadly no  :( Probably need to wait till last days of July or 1st-2nd August :o

Well there are in hand pictures of the Kronosaurus now, so we'll probably get them from Andrea soon as well.

Doing some searches on AliExpress, I saw that Andrea is now available at Jurassic Zoo Store. Also I've found the Nanotyrannus at My Online Toy Store. I'll just wait untill My Online Toy Store has Andrea in stock as well to buy it from them.

Dinoxels

Where did you get that image?

PhilSauria

Just saw listings for the reclining T-rex and the new Kronosaurus and I must say much as I have been showing a lot of brand loyalty to PNSO the increasingly higher prices that seem to accompany each new release lately are severly testing that loyalty.

The latest two coming in at $91 and $81 AU, and I didn't check what shipping may have added to those prices, have me seriously considering re-directing my dollars elsewhere in future!

The release of some Sauropods may tempt me but I am not holding my breath for those.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks to the first in-hand photos (thank you for sharing avatar_SRF @SRF ), we now know it does indeed come with stands. The Helicoprion should have come with stands, as well.

Logan is now available at Jurassic Zoo Store and My Online Toy Store on Ali, btw. Still 30.99$ but at least without the extra shipping cost on Amazon.

Carnoking

That kronosaurus turned out quite lovely if you ask me. The simple color scheme probably helped

SRF

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 26, 2021, 10:24:24 AM
Where did you get that image?

These and other images can be found on Paleofiguras Facebook page.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Carnoking on July 26, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
That kronosaurus turned out quite lovely if you ask me. The simple color scheme probably helped
Agreed. Looks very nice.

SidB

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 26, 2021, 10:52:18 AM
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks to the first in-hand photos (thank you for sharing avatar_SRF @SRF ), we now know it does indeed come with stands. The Helicoprion should have come with stands, as well.

Logan is now available at Jurassic Zoo Store and My Online Toy Store on Ali, btw. Still 30.99$ but at least without the extra shipping cost on Amazon.
It (Logan) was (and maybe still is) going for 19.99 on eBay with Xiatao032, with free shipping, as I posted a couplle of days ago on this thread.

lrnr21

Well we've been asking for a sauropod. :)

QuoteA New Er-ma, the Mamenchisaurus Scientific Art Model is coming! The estimated pre-order of this 2021 reconstruction model from PNSO DINOSAUR MUSEUM series in China starts on July 30th. Global sales and delivery will be at the end of August.
-
Based on the latest scientific research, the new Er-ma, the Mamenchisarus model is not just a model, but a part of ZHAO Chuang and YANG Yang's Solution for Creative Activities in Children's Space from PNSO New Aesthetic Education Project, coming with a full set of materials for DIY a PNSO Dinosaur Museum Scientific Art Exhibition of Er-ma the Mamenchisaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: