News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Duna on July 22, 2021, 06:22:14 PM
I was waiting for a Concavenator by Eofauna, but I wouldn't mind if PNSO did one, too! It would be interesting with those feathers ...
not only would PNSO do a featherless Concavenator, I find it highly unlikely Eofauna would do a Concavenator yet, they haven't done any smaller animals yet. Though I suppose they could do eventually
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 22, 2021, 09:50:00 PM
Quote from: Duna on July 22, 2021, 06:22:14 PM
I was waiting for a Concavenator by Eofauna, but I wouldn't mind if PNSO did one, too! It would be interesting with those feathers ...
not only would PNSO do a featherless Concavenator, I find it highly unlikely Eofauna would do a Concavenator yet, they haven't done any smaller animals yet. Though I suppose they could do eventually
I hope EoFauna does end up doing some smaller animals eventually, at 1:35 scale
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

HD-man

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 22, 2021, 04:19:12 PMH @HD-man look, I lean towards the males are larger theory, which has lots of good evidence and is far more believeable than females are larger theory

Source(s)? Last I checked, there's no evidence for robust males & gracile females, but as pointed out in my previous post, there IS some evidence for the opposite.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 22, 2021, 04:19:12 PMYes saying you don't like eagles because they are female ruled is kind of wierd, but saying you want a figurine(besides I don't even care about the names, just playin devil's advocate) to be in a certain way as it's makes more sense and with Megapnosaurus, it was very lightly built and could had been a rare case, just like how eagles and hawks are the exception, and crocodiles without their lips are the exception.

1stly, you might not mean it this way, but "playin devil's advocate" comes off as an excuse to annoy ppl (in this case, by "reject[ing] evidence that doesn't support your worldview": https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/hb7ugn/devils_advocate_magazine/ ).

2ndly, sorry, but claiming exceptions to general patterns without any evidence comes off as special pleading at best. Yes, you can argue that non-bird theropods were exceptionally lipped compared to the crocs & birds they're bracketed btwn b/c there's hard evidence for lip anatomy. Likewise, you can argue that tyrannosaurids were exceptionally scaly-skinned compared to the other coelurosaurs they're bracketed btwn b/c there's hard evidence for mostly-scaly skin. However, in this case, not only is there no evidence for T. rex having exceptionally robust males compared to the other hypercarnivorous predator dinos they're bracketed btwn, but some evidence for T. rex having robust females like the other hypercarnivorous predator dinos they're bracketed btwn.

BTW, as pointed out in my previous post, it's not just "eagles and hawks". Robust females & gracile males is the general rule among living hypercarnivorous predator dinos (&, based on what we currently know, was likely the general rule among extinct ones too).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Stegotyranno420

My English is not too great other than basics so I dont do well with idioms and figurative speech. Usually I speak in literal sense.
And I should had said reasoning over evidence sorry about that. It's just the largest animals on land today have larger males, the largest reptiles and birds have larger Males, and the largest terrestrial carnivores have larger males.
Correct me if I am wrong we know atleast protoceratops had larger males. And we could bracket further to crocodiles and most modern birds, which have larger males.

I feel like the thread might be derailed so you want to talk in p.m. s
Also I want you to know that I hope I don't come off as rude, cherry picking, or denying,  I just want to have a fun and academic discussion like you my friend. Also sorry if there are typos or wierd autocorrects.

Nixx

"BTW, as pointed out in my previous post, it's not just "eagles and hawks". Robust females & gracile males is the general rule among living hypercarnivorous predator dinos (&, based on what we currently know, was likely the general rule among extinct ones too)."

Sorry for also de-railing. But that hypercarnivorous there is doing alot of work, since birds of prey are apparently pretty much the exception themselves among living birds lol.

Interesting read  : https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/beginners/birding-faq/explaining-size-differences-between-male-and-female-birds/

Btw,Is andrea expected to be priced like wilson or not?

Gwangi

I'm curious now as to how one defines a hypercarnivorous bird, since by definition of the word most birds are hypercarnivorus. Since more than 70% of their food intake consists of other animals that would mean that swallows, warblers, penguins, pelicans, flamingoes, gulls, and herons among others are all hypercarnivorous.

RCM9698

Andrea is expected to cost about the same as Wilson.

There is no conclusive (or even significant) evidence either way right now. Discussing whether males or females were larger is pointless, we just don't know right now.

SRF

Andrea is now available in PNSO's Amazon store. Same price as Wilson and Biber & Rook.
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

As is Jeff, and slightly cheaper than the other recent museum-line figures at that. Regardless, probably going to hold out till they're available for Prime. I feel like Bieber and Rook came into stock at Amazon fairly quick.

Carnoking

Follow up, Dan's Dinosaurs has also put up Andrea for pre-order, and for 10 dollars off until tomorrow!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 23, 2021, 03:29:39 AM
My English is not too great other than basics so I dont do well with idioms and figurative speech. Usually I speak in literal sense.
And I should had said reasoning over evidence sorry about that. It's just the largest animals on land today have larger males, the largest reptiles and birds have larger Males, and the largest terrestrial carnivores have larger males.
Correct me if I am wrong we know atleast protoceratops had larger males. And we could bracket further to crocodiles and most modern birds, which have larger males.

Also I want you to know that I hope I don't come off as rude, cherry picking, or denying,  I just want to have a fun and academic discussion like you my friend. Also sorry if there are typos or wierd autocorrects.
Mammals have larger males due mostly to mating behaviour. They are larger because they are either living alone away from the protective groups of females, or are expected to out-compete females to hold territory and get mates.

The largest birds don't have larger males. Nor do "the majority of modern birds". It's the norm in birds for the female to be slightly larger as in most species she will do the majority of the work protecting the nest, and needs to carry the eggs beforehand.

Crocodilians don't even have larger males per-se, as while most of the largest specimens are presumed to be male, males grow faster. They end up at similar averages when looking only at very old captive specimens as they top out at around the same final lengths, but females need to live longer to reach the same sizes hence males averaging larger from totals of population.

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on July 23, 2021, 08:59:19 PM
Follow up, Dan's Dinosaurs has also put up Andrea for pre-order, and for 10 dollars off until tomorrow!
Thanks, I put my pre-order in with Dan.

Flaffy

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 23, 2021, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 23, 2021, 03:29:39 AM

Mammals have larger males due mostly to mating behaviour. They are larger because they are either living alone away from the protective groups of females, or are expected to out-compete females to hold territory and get mates.

The largest birds don't have larger males. Nor do "the majority of modern birds". It's the norm in birds for the female to be slightly larger as in most species she will do the majority of the work protecting the nest, and needs to carry the eggs beforehand.

Crocodilians don't even have larger males per-se, as while most of the largest specimens are presumed to be male, males grow faster. They end up at similar averages when looking only at very old captive specimens as they top out at around the same final lengths, but females need to live longer to reach the same sizes hence males averaging larger from totals of population.
Are you familiar with Ostriches. Besides the claims of your second two paragraphs are false
I dont know where u got them from.

suspsy

Quote from: Flaffy on July 24, 2021, 04:51:43 AM
PNSO's Kronosaurus is up for grabs on Amazon for $60.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/PNSO-MARINE-MUSEUM-JEFF-KRONOSAURUS/dp/B0992NSVDV?ref_=ast_sto_dp

That's a pricey pliosaur. Thankfully, I had already decided I wasn't interested. Not a fan of the tail fluke.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoxels

Does anyone know if the Krono has any large notable inaccuracies?
Side note can this other random argument about males and females stop it's rather annoying.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Psittacoraptor

I don't mind the tail fluke. I do, however, mind that it would cost me 90+ $ to order from Amazon. I'm going to wait until this one hits Aliexpress stores.

Does Jeff come with a stand or not? The photos on their official instagram show it with a stand, but their Amazon store doesn't (it shows the stand for all the other figures that come with one).

Sim

Wow, I've got a lot of catching up to do!  For now I'll just post my thoughts on one thing:

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 09, 2021, 04:59:33 PM
If PNSO or Safari does make a new cryo I hope it's not another skinny or feathery one. I can't wait to see a blubbery and robust one

As far as I know blubber is only known to be present in animals that spend a lot of time in water, so it seems unprecented for Cryolophosaurus.  The Battat Cryolophosaurus is a good figure of a robust Cryolophosaurus.  However, there is no figure of a fully feathered Cryolophosaurus, and it would be great for one to exist, so I hope PNSO or Safari make one.

Gwangi

As much as I like that Kronosaurus, I'm not going to pay the Amazon price. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it costs on Aliexpress.

sauroid

sometimes there are stores on Ali/Tao that have PNSO figs at least 50% less than most sellers' price.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: