News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Not bashing PNSO, but I always found it weird how they sometimes over complicate colors and color schemes but then sometimes provide dull colors and color schemes to their figures.

Few examples of over complex: Lambeosaurus and Amargasaurus

Few examples of dull:
Their new Triceratops, new Wilson and Andrea, and Tarbosaurus

Sim

I find PNSO's Lambeosaurus and Tarbosaurus to have flawless colour schemes, I like them.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on December 12, 2021, 05:16:26 PM
I find PNSO's Lambeosaurus and Tarbosaurus to have flawless colour schemes, I like them.

I agree with this, I love the complexity of the Lambeosaurus and the simplicity of the Tarbosaurus. I like this new Triceratops for the same reasons I like the Tarbosaurus.

Not every dinosaur needs to be flamboyantly painted, sometimes less is more. I know we like to use extant birds and reptiles as references but for every peacock or macaw there is a handful of drab brown sparrows. For every colorful little gecko or anole there's a brown and gray monitor lizard. I find that simple paintjobs and gradual color gradients focus more attention on detail that is often lost in overly flamboyant paintjobs.   

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The problem with that for me is that sure most larger dinosaurs were probably dull, but not that one. It's the wrong choice for a dull dinosaur.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Thialfi

Woooow, that looks mightily impressive

Bread

Oh I love the complexity colorschemes and the dull colorschemes of models. Honestly I don't complain with either, my whole reason for the comment was the comparison. I just find it weird that PNSO hop back and forth with their colorschemes. Ones being too complex and ones being too simple.

Also, love the teaser for the Styracosaurus. I was honestly not interested in this one, but maybe with the color scheme and pose it will interest me to purchase it.

Antey

Quote from: suspsy on December 12, 2021, 08:10:52 PM
Styracosaurus teaser:

https://www.facebook.com/2331852817042641/posts/3213902395504341/?d=n
this is great! and this is in keeping with their tendency to paint realistic. I don't understand why anyone thought it was bright.

Sim

There are extant animals with complex colourations and ones with simple colourations, I think PNSO is doing a good job at reflecting this occurence in nature.

As for the Styracosaurus, I clicked on the second image and it shows it has cheeks!  Maybe I don't need to worry about PNSO releasing cheekless ceratopsoids anymore!

SidB

I guess that the Styracosaurus will be next. I'm hoping that it will be around 1/35 scale and not too much larger, certainly no larger than 1/25ish.

dinofelid

Quote from: Gwangi on December 12, 2021, 05:54:01 PMNot every dinosaur needs to be flamboyantly painted, sometimes less is more. I know we like to use extant birds and reptiles as references but for every peacock or macaw there is a handful of drab brown sparrows. For every colorful little gecko or anole there's a brown and gray monitor lizard. I find that simple paintjobs and gradual color gradients focus more attention on detail that is often lost in overly flamboyant paintjobs.

Yes, when reading about this I came across this article which mentions that that even among tropical birds, most are fairly dull-colored--we just tend to know more about the brightly-colored ones because they show up more in photos (and in zoos and sometimes as pets). I do think a crest is a place you're more likely to have seen bright colors (or attention-getting patterns like spots), but it doesn't seem like a sure thing, you do see reptiles with crests or frills that are basically the same green or brown color as the rest of their body, like this basilisk lizard, and most reptiles can see even more colors than we can.

Renecito

I Love the "dull" color scheme they gave to this new Doyle. I am the type of person who is not into bright coloration for this huge animals.

Great looking Styracosaurus.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Maritimer

I find it fascinating that PNSO would release a cheekless Triceratops, followed up almost instantaneously by a thoroughly cheeked Styracosaurus!

Cheeks (or the lack of them) notwithstanding, growing up with Marx Styracosaurus, and close enough to the AMNH to visit the specimen there, Styracosaurus has always been one of my very favorite dinosaurs - and PNSO's take on the spiky beastie looks like a must-have for me.

P.S. ~ PNSO, a shipping box isn't really a "base", and shouldn't be listed as such as a separate content of the aforementioned shipping box . . .

~B.

Lynx

Oh, my word- I'm sorry, but to me, that Styracosaurus was a bit of a letdown. I was expecting something with a bright and beautiful frill (like the Lambeosaurus) and was hit with this instead. Gonna be a major pass for me, but on the bright side now I can buy the BOTM version of this creature! I understand that they like taking the safe side and giving most creatures dull and "natural" color schemes, but I'll be honest, this is not one of those creatures they should have given a 'boring' color scheme to. 

Unlike from what I have heard on here, I prefer brightly colored ceratopsians, or at least the crest having some flare.
An oversized house cat.

John

This new Styracosaurus is one of the best of it's kind yet. :)
I also want to see the Centrosaurus too. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bokisaurus

What an amazing Styracosaurus model! I'm excited to see this one, looks beautiful.

Abobo

SidB

Shonisaurus

Me gusta mucho el triceratops de PNSO está muy bien esculpido y repito me gusta su pintura conservadora es de agradecer por parte de PNSO por lo que a mí respecta. Gracias por la información fotográfica. Por cierto me gustaría ver imágenes del styracosaurus en estos momentos no tengo acceso a facebook. Si es la próximo figura será para mí bienvenida. Mi styracosaurus preferidos eran los de Safari y Collecta ahora con las imágenes del nuevo styracosaurus de PNSO mis preferencias pueden cambiar.

ceratopsian

I see nothing wrong in choosing a conservative colour scheme.  As others have said, not all extant animals are spectacularly coloured, so why should we expect all extinct creatures to be so?  In general terms with my "naturalist hat" on, I'm happier with conservative rather than over-the-top colour.  Though I confess that if I change hats to "art lover", then aesthetically I revel in colour.  The main issue for me is that I already have two versions of Doyle, one I bought and one a gift.  So I'm not sure I want to splash out on a third.  I'll see how I feel when the time comes and it's here in the UK with Everything Dinosaur.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: