News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

The more I look at the new Triceratops and Styracosaurus, the more they grow on me. I likely won't purchase the styraco, but both figures look great sculpt-wise!
An oversized house cat.

Shonisaurus

I have seen that styracosaurus via the suspsy link and it honestly exceeds all my expectations. That styracosaurus has every good thing about every styracosaurus from every brand of toy dinosaur made to date.

Glad PNSO targets ceratopsids so well and it's a beastly improvement over spinops and early Doyle triceratops. Hooray for PNSO.

SRF

I still haven't purchased the new Triceratops, but I'm looking forward to how it will look in the reviews on YouTube. I'm also curious how this one compares to the Eofauna Triceratop. I really like that one and Eofauna's Triceratops is only 1/3rd of Doyles price. So while I definitely want this figure, I'm still on the fence of actually purchasing it.
But today, I'm just being father

JohannesB

Quote from: SRF on December 13, 2021, 04:05:00 PM
I still haven't purchased the new Triceratops, but I'm looking forward to how it will look in the reviews on YouTube. I'm also curious how this one compares to the Eofauna Triceratop. I really like that one and Eofauna's Triceratops is only 1/3rd of Doyles price. So while I definitely want this figure, I'm still on the fence of actually purchasing it.

Yes, as always it is a matter of weighing the pro's and con's, which are, to some degree, subjective. But the newest PNSO Triceratops is not 3 times more expensive, from what I can tell. More like 1,5 times more expensive (PNSO up to $60, the Eofauna about $40). Anyway, I like the PNSO Triceratops better, for different reasons, like the detailed integument, the reconstruction overall, the pose, and the simplistic color scheme. 

Duna

Quote from: JohannesB on December 13, 2021, 10:10:20 PM
Yes, as always it is a matter of weighing the pro's and con's, which are, to some degree, subjective. But the newest PNSO Triceratops is not 3 times more expensive, from what I can tell. More like 1,5 times more expensive (PNSO up to $60, the Eofauna about $40). Anyway, I like the PNSO Triceratops better, for different reasons, like the detailed integument, the reconstruction overall, the pose, and the simplistic color scheme.
In Europe you can buy Eofauna triceratops for 22,90€ or 26$, and PNSO's new one is 66€, so that's nearly three times more expensive for a well sculpted, brown figure. It's just too much.

SRF

I've purchased my Eofauna Triceratops when it released for € 23,95 while the new PNSO one would now cost me around € 66,- due to the EU VAT. That's not exactly 3 times more expensive, but it's not far from it.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

I purchased the eofauna triceratops from dejankins for $30 and he hasn't jacked up his price since then.  This one is going to probably cost $50 plus on amazon so it's going to go for at least 40% more in price.  But here's the kicker, I'm really starting to cool on this new PNSO and I'm blaming my son for it, LOL ;)   He collects too and he won't be getting it because of the legs being 'as thick as tree trunks' he said and he also thinks the feet are very inaccurate like some people here have also pointed out.  I have stated previously that the eye placement seems wrong to me for some reason so I already had my own concerns.  But now that my kid pointed out the incredibly thick limbs I'm starting to quickly back pedal on buying this.  Add to that all the other issues others have pointed out here and now I'm probably not going to buy this even though I'd love to get my hands on that included skull and I love the simple color scheme applied to the figure.

CARN0TAURUS

If someone could kindly post the new PNSO styracosaur images it would be greatly appreciated, TIA :)

Eocarcharia

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 13, 2021, 11:19:16 PM
If someone could kindly post the new PNSO styracosaur images it would be greatly appreciated, TIA :)
Here you go:

SidB

Definitely liking the cheeks, stunning detail, ornery expression and coloration on this one. Hope that the production's paint-work is as good.  A must buy for me. I won't be ditching my Safari, Battat, Papo and Favorite figures, but this is one for the herd. It will be interesting to see how it compares with Watson's one for accuracy.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Eocarcharia on December 13, 2021, 11:27:48 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 13, 2021, 11:19:16 PM
Here you go:

Eocarcharia, thanks for posting those!  It does look really nice, the paintwork looks really complex.  Hopefully the production models will look like that too.  So, from a casual dino lover that doesn't have a lot of scientific knowledge on these things, how did the cheeks work when he closed his mouth all the way?  Did the loose skin just hang down the sides of his face like on an English Mastiff?

Faras

Seems the Styracosaur is made of resin, painted by Dinone studio sculptor, and was made years ago as pics appeared in a vid from August 2020. Mass product could look very different (esp. since rumour says new figures won't use old reconstructions) so maybe it's better not to get over excited  :))

Psittacoraptor

Thanks avatar_Faras @Faras for the info. Paleofiguras rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. Seems like they just repost images they find while browsing Chinese forums like Baidu, and sometimes things get lost in (auto?)translation.

John

On the bright side,we still have the many models PNSO has already released to go for at least. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Antey

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 13, 2021, 11:14:51 PM

I purchased the eofauna triceratops from dejankins for $30 and he hasn't jacked up his price since then.  This one is going to probably cost $50 plus on amazon so it's going to go for at least 40% more in price.  But here's the kicker, I'm really starting to cool on this new PNSO and I'm blaming my son for it, LOL ;)   He collects too and he won't be getting it because of the legs being 'as thick as tree trunks' he said and he also thinks the feet are very inaccurate like some people here have also pointed out.  I have stated previously that the eye placement seems wrong to me for some reason so I already had my own concerns.  But now that my kid pointed out the incredibly thick limbs I'm starting to quickly back pedal on buying this.  Add to that all the other issues others have pointed out here and now I'm probably not going to buy this even though I'd love to get my hands on that included skull and I love the simple color scheme applied to the figure.
Strange, but what legs should an animal weighing several tons have, which periodically butts its horns in fights with others ?! In addition, they recently wrote that this reconstruction takes into account the latest data on the anatomy of the legs, especially the feet.

Lynx

Quote from: Antey on December 14, 2021, 12:23:26 PM

Strange, but what legs should an animal weighing several tons have, which periodically butts its horns in fights with others ?! In addition, they recently wrote that this reconstruction takes into account the latest data on the anatomy of the legs, especially the feet.

Wasn't the head-butting horn theory disproven a while ago, or has it been brought back from its grave?
I don't exactly trust PNSO with that statement. That's what they said about Wilson's mouth, and then proceeded to give it no lips.
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Lynx on December 14, 2021, 01:28:40 PM

Wasn't the head-butting horn theory disproven a while ago, or has it been brought back from its grave?
I don't exactly trust PNSO with that statement. That's what they said about Wilson's mouth, and then proceeded to give it no lips.

Personally I dislike the lips, I feel it makes them look like lizards and I prefer the crocodile look, besides, aren't dinosaurs more closely related to crocs than lizards?  IDK but it seems like a crying shame to cover up T-rex teeth.  If there is still debate on whether they even had lips then I'll keep buying lipless. 

CARN0TAURUS

To be clear my son is not a paleontologist but he knows a LOT more about dinosaurs than I do.  I may have instilled in him a love of prehistoric animals but his mother instilled in him a love of learning and he took it to another level, he has a lot of literature and keeps up with all the technical stuff that I don't care to do.  He told me to look at images of all the major triceratops releases from all the companies including the previous doyle.  And they do appear to have legs with less girth and more length, at least to my eye and now that he told me the legs on this guy do seem extra beefy and short.

SidB

I'm willing to consider alternate interpretations regarding the massiveness of the legs and associated implications of what that may have meant for intra-specific behavior. Part of the fun of collecting. Good to see that our understanding is evolving and open to new and different perspectives, keeping the evidence in mind. Speaking in general, of course.

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on December 14, 2021, 09:43:30 AM
Thanks avatar_Faras @Faras for the info. Paleofiguras rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. Seems like they just repost images they find while browsing Chinese forums like Baidu, and sometimes things get lost in (auto?)translation.
That's most likely the case with this one. It has happened before.

Disappointed this isn't the actual figure. Looked too good to be true and I should have realized that. Plus we have yet to know if the rumored list is true. Oh well... the wait begins again for the next release/reveal.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: