News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Dunno which size estimate Everything Dinosaur was using to get to a 1/40 scale.

But as in a previous response regarding scale, PNSO's own Carcharodontosaurus size estimate placed it at slightly under 12 meters, as shown in PNSO's skeletal of the megatheropod. This makes a ~33cm Carcharodontosaurus figure 1/35 scale.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Flaffy on March 19, 2021, 01:23:25 PM
Dunno which size estimate Everything Dinosaur was using to get to a 1/40 scale.

But as in a previous response regarding scale, PNSO's own Carcharodontosaurus size estimate placed it at slightly under 12 meters, as shown in PNSO's skeletal of the megatheropod. This makes a ~33cm Carcharodontosaurus figure 1/35 scale.

Yes, and notice the skull is 1.5m long, the same size as "the" Carcharodontosaurus skull (SGM-DIN-1). This is what I was talking about in terms of proportions. If you put that skull on a 13-14m body it would look comically small-headed. The only way to get a 13-14m estimate for this thing without messing up all the proportions is if you assume a much longer tail.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 19, 2021, 08:34:07 AM
We can assure fans of the PNSO range and those particularly interested in Gamba the Carcharodontosaurus that at Everything Dinosaur we will be doing all we can to ensure there are plenty of these models available.  As for pricing we will not be able to publish a price until the shipping costs, customs, tariffs and such like have all been sorted but as our long history of selling PNSO demonstrates we do not make these models "super expensive" we do all we can to ensure that our prices are reasonable and fair.

True to our word, here is the blog post with the pictures of the figure that we received from PNSO.  Our blog post provides more information on the figure, its availability and we discuss the scale.  Blog went live at 08.00 GMT today as we promised: http://bit.ly/3tzHQY7
I hope i didn't give the idea that i was saying you guys were going to overprice it, but rather pnso themselves. You guys are honest and trustworthy people

MLMjp

Absolutely beautiful Carcharodontosaurus, and judging by the measurements...I finally have replacement for the Collecta one  ;D

SRF

There's another thing that I noticed in avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur 's article: apparantely the Carcharodontosaurus isn't released until the summer? That would be quite different from how PNSO released and marketed other figures in the last half year.

I'm curious what that means for other figures they're going to reveal in the coming weeks. Can't imagine that they will stop revealing figures after only releasing the Parasaurolophus.
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

The article actually says that the production run is due to be completed in the spring and it should be in stock at Everything Dinosaur (i.e. in the UK) in June or July - remember that June/July estimate allows time for the shipment to come by sea to the UK and clear customs etc, which is quite a slow process.

Quote from: SRF on March 19, 2021, 05:24:29 PM
There's another thing that I noticed in avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur 's article: apparantely the Carcharodontosaurus isn't released until the summer? That would be quite different from how PNSO released and marketed other figures in the last half year.

I'm curious what that means for other figures they're going to reveal in the coming weeks. Can't imagine that they will stop revealing figures after only releasing the Parasaurolophus.

Everything_Dinosaur

The size of Carcharodontosaurus saharicus remains uncertain.  Estimates range from 12 metres to 13 metres plus.  Determining the scale for this figure is a difficult business given the limited amount of fossil material known.  If lower range estimates of C.saharicus are taken then a 12 metre animal represented by a 33 cm long replica equates to a scale of approximately 1:36, if the upper size estimates are used then this figure is in approximate 1:40 scale.

Given the paucity of the fossil record related to this theropod declaring any scale is a mute point, but we are confident that this figure would not look out of place when displayed adjacent to models from other ranges that declare a 1:40 scale or thereabouts.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 19, 2021, 06:46:24 PM
The size of Carcharodontosaurus saharicus remains uncertain.  Estimates range from 12 metres to 13 metres plus.  Determining the scale for this figure is a difficult business given the limited amount of fossil material known.  If lower range estimates of C.saharicus are taken then a 12 metre animal represented by a 33 cm long replica equates to a scale of approximately 1:36, if the upper size estimates are used then this figure is in approximate 1:40 scale.

Given the paucity of the fossil record related to this theropod declaring any scale is a mute point, but we are confident that this figure would not look out of place when displayed adjacent to models from other ranges that declare a 1:40 scale or thereabouts.

It might well not look out of place in a +/- 5 or so scale, sure. But uncertainty about overall length is due to the incompleteness of the axial column. Basing scale on a complete element of the same specimen like skull length or femur is less wiggle room. For example if the specimen is actually 14 m, it would be a completely different reconstruction - small head, long tail, or both. That's why measuring complete elements will always yield a better scale estimate that using total length. Just my 2 cents. For anybody looking for "close enough", none of this will matter.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

This Carcharodontosaurus is excellent, but is all the hate the CollectA version is receiving now necessary?  :-\ Do you all remember that figure that's receiving all this bashing was voted by this very forum's members as the best dinosaur figure of 2014? Don't remember? Here you go:

https://youtu.be/vpT9VOjIOVk

It even beat the likes of Safari's Pachyrhinosaurus and all the Battat Terra figures. And that was the result of your votes  ::) . What I'm trying to say is that it's not necessary to express how good one figure is by mocking down another figure of the same dinosaur. Yes, this new PNSO version surpasses CollectA's (and Safari's!) version, but we're comparing a 2021 dinosaur figure vs a 2014 dinosaur figure. Anyone who has been around in the dinosaur toy collecting community is aware of how much everyone has improved since then. Let's appreciate the new but not putting down other great figures from past years. And before anyone says: why do you say it's a great figure? Because it was voted by all of you.

Note: I'm not saying the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus is perfect by any means nor I think it's currently the best figure of the species. I know it has flaws and I can point them out:
-Shrink wrapped skull
-Too wide hips
-Too large scales
-Too big toe claws
-Unlikely spikes on the body

But all that doesn't stop me from really liking the figure and being happy of having it in my collection. If anything, it's striking. Everyone is free to like or not to like the figure. I personally dig it  :)

suspsy

The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus was indeed widely praised back in 2014. The review has 4.5 stars and a whopping 142 votes. It may not hold up to today's standards, but that doesn't make it a bad toy.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: SRF on March 19, 2021, 05:24:29 PM

I am wondering about this myself. If the assumption is that there's nothing planned between the release of the Parasaurolophus and the Carcodontosaurus, well then, yeah, that's quite the wait for sure. But that's only an assumption - maybe others are planned for release in between these two. Still, I'd guess that the former might be the case. If so, well, at least my exchequer will get a break.

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2021, 09:16:58 PM
The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus was indeed widely praised back in 2014. The review has 4.5 stars and a whopping 142 votes. It may not hold up to today's standards, but that doesn't make it a bad toy.
This is surely a valid point. This figure still has value, even though it is being superceded by the PNSO. There is no  need to continually dismiss the past, just to appear trendy, even though these recent releases are generally better. I think that is it good to appreciate previous work in CONTEXT, being tolerant of outdated interpretations as legitimate perspectives that were relevant at that time and still interesting from an historical perspective. I don't have this figure, but if I did, I wouldn't ditch it, unless I only collected the best of each type (a legitimate approach for those who collect on this basis}. The historical perspective is one way of making the hobby more fun, at least for many people, and gives a real value to sites like D @Dinoguy2 's Carnegie Safari website. f you haven't checked it out, do so -it's a treasury of nostalgia and information.

This principle has a wide application - the PNSO Parasaurolophus doesn't necessitate jettisoning other fine older models. The perceived shortcomings of 'Winter Wilson" doesn't mean that I can't appreciate its many strong points. It's appearance didn't precipitate the negation of older feathered rexes, especially the CollectA original, a truly inspired sculpt 'back in the day'. I'm holding onto mine, even as I continue to be excited about these new PNSO releases.

Gwangi

Having been the one to review the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus back in 2014 I can definitely say that my opinion about it has changed considerably, and not for the better. And that was before the PNSO announcement. But I also try to take their age into context and yes, in 2014 this was a fantastic piece. Keep in mind that it was released 2 years before the Safari version and up until that point the only Carcharodontosaurus around was the older Safari toy. Times change, and this hobby has evolved astonishingly fast over the last several years. You'll never see me judge an older toy based on what is available now.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on March 20, 2021, 12:03:37 AM
Having been the one to review the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus back in 2014 I can definitely say that my opinion about it has changed considerably, and not for the better. And that was before the PNSO announcement. But I also try to take their age into context and yes, in 2014 this was a fantastic piece. Keep in mind that it was released 2 years before the Safari version and up until that point the only Carcharodontosaurus around was the older Safari toy. Times change, and this hobby has evolved astonishingly fast over the last several years. You'll never see me judge an older toy based on what is available now.
Yes, the changes since 2014, for the better, are remarkable. We, as collectors, are living at an exciting point in time.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Waiting eagerly for their Zhuchengtyrannus magnus figure.

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Faelrin on March 20, 2021, 01:47:03 PM
PNSO revealed their bronze Sinosauropteryx now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMokLb2FyMK/?igshid=ht6lrunnw38q

I still like the sculpt they did a few years ago better, the small one. Which is good for my wallet.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on March 19, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
This Carcharodontosaurus is excellent, but is all the hate the CollectA version is receiving now necessary?  :-\ Do you all remember that figure that's receiving all this bashing was voted by this very forum's members as the best dinosaur figure of 2014? Don't remember?
Welcome to the Dinosaur Toy Forum! *sarcasm*
Yeah, I thought it was great, besides the wide hips. Their Acrocanthosaurus had the same problem, but again it was whatever, and was good for its time. I never understand the constant bashing of a figure when it has been said before in multiple threads. I know you can not make anyone like a figure, but why continue to bash it while there are others who do like it? Oh well....

I'd love to see more comparison photos of this Carcharodontosaurus. I am looking forward to photos of it along side Wilson! I have also been keeping an eye out for it to appear on Amazon.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Bread on March 20, 2021, 02:47:31 PM

I'd love to see more comparison photos of this Carcharodontosaurus. I am looking forward to photos of it along side Wilson! I have also been keeping an eye out for it to appear on Amazon.

Looks like it won't happen until summer.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: