News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

I'm still curious if PNSO will do a new reveal this week. Well I guess we'll see in a couple of days.  :)
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Quote from: SRF on March 22, 2021, 03:33:16 PM
I'm still curious if PNSO will do a new reveal this week. Well I guess we'll see in a couple of days.  :)
Same, but my question is the release date if there is a new figure to be revealed soon. Since the Carcharodontosaurus won't be available until June/July, this makes me wonder if this is going to be a continuous thing with other figures.

Bread

S @SidB thank you, worded perfectly and great advice. If my previous posts seems negative, my apologies, I just felt the heavy bashing/criticism was ridiculous. Anyways, thank you and I will keep your advice on my shoulders.

Edit: Not my previous posts but two posts back, and sorry for the off topic posts, just wanted to reply to SidB

SidB

Quote from: PhilSauria on March 20, 2021, 09:58:30 PM
While I am very impressed with each new PNSO release, I am feeling frustrated at not being able to afford to keep up with them, initially disappointed that my local source in this country while listing the new Dinosaurs, has them at such a high price for some reason, many of them nearly twice the price as the Ali Express listings! Makes it hard to try and support a local business when it would send you broke doing so.

S @SidB, good advice in regard to coping with the various types of post on the Forum, all of the criticism was beginning to wear me down and sucking the enjoyment out of collecting, and then we had that spate of drama late last year, all of which had me stepping away for a while and considering another hobby / interest for my focus.

In any case as I lost my job a week ago due to the pandemic causing my employers to downsize all I'll be collecting for the forseeable is unemployment benefits!
Well, avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria , no doubt about it, your thoughts and feelings on this matter affected me too, when you shared them earlier, because they echoed my own concerns. I really do ascribe to the capacity to exercise a certain "willing suspension of disbelief," as necessary to 'put up with' certain imperfections and short comings. There pace of change is so rapid that it is inevitable that even new sculpts get left behind, at least in part, soon after their release. A good example is Doug Watson's very fine Edmontosaurus in regards to the matter of hooves on the forelimbs.

If the collector moves from a desire for an illusive perfection to a hyper-critical spirit of perfectionism (and that's so easy to do, I know from experience), then there is a risk of entering an ongoing state of perpetual dissatisfaction with the overwhelming majority of paleoart material on the market, past, present and, yes, future. All of that being said, I believe that the vast majority of people on the DTF are at least subconsciously aware of this and can and do make the necessary adjustments to find a livable balance point.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on March 22, 2021, 03:42:30 PM
S @SidB thank you, worded perfectly and great advice. If my previous posts seems negative, my apologies, I just felt the heavy bashing/criticism was ridiculous. Anyways, thank you and I will keep your advice on my shoulders.

Edit: Not my previous posts but two posts back, and sorry for the off topic posts, just wanted to reply to SidB
Hey, avatar_Bread @Bread , I look on you as one of the most reasonable and balanced of the contributors, so no fret. Besides which, I've had my 'bashing' moments too, many of which I've come to regret. Live and learn, if we choose.

Bread

Quote from: SidB on March 22, 2021, 03:52:24 PM
Quote from: Bread on March 22, 2021, 03:42:30 PM

Hey, avatar_Bread @Bread , I look on you as one of the most reasonable and balanced of the contributors, so no fret. Besides which, I've had my 'bashing' moments too, many of which I've come to regret. Live and learn, if we choose.
Thank you and same to you, as you are a balanced contributor. Don't worry as I have had bad moments with criticism coming from myself as well. Like you said "Live learn, if we choose." So thank you.

Back to the topic: Has anyone received the Parasaurolophus yet to provide more comparisons? I am curious to how it scales with Safari's Para as well as CollectA's deluxe figure.

SRF

Quote from: Bread on March 22, 2021, 03:38:18 PM
Quote from: SRF on March 22, 2021, 03:33:16 PM
Same, but my question is the release date if there is a new figure to be revealed soon. Since the Carcharodontosaurus won't be available until June/July, this makes me wonder if this is going to be a continuous thing with other figures.

Yeah, me too. It's just speculation but maybe they will reveal a figure that is available shortly after the reveal one week, like the Parasaurolophus and one that is available after a longer period of time in the other week? That way they still offer something new every other week and they give us something to look out for in the long run. 

sauroid

im still waiting for the price of the Para to go down a little since there's only one seller thats offering it and the price isnt very reasonable (priced the same as the winter wilson). when other sellers are offering it the price might become more competitive.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: sauroid on March 22, 2021, 06:15:45 PM
im still waiting for the price of the Para to go down a little since there's only one seller thats offering it and the price isnt very reasonable (priced the same as the winter wilson). when other sellers are offering it the price might become more competitive.
Are you like only allowed to one seller, like me and amazon, because on amazon its cheaper than wilson

Subduction

Sorry for bringing up something that was said a few pages back. But I wanted to thank you as well, S @SidB. I've been avoiding the forum lately due to offline stuff. So approaching the forum the same way you'd approach stuff in real life is extremely helpful.

Otherwise, I'm so excited to see the Carcharodontosaurus! This gives me a lot of hope that there might be a Torvosaurus figure too! But golly. I love the Carcharo figure so much. I love the shape of the head and the details of the scales. Definitely a must buy. PNSO really has been cranking out figures this year but I'm not complaining!

I can't wait to see if PNSO plans to make other figures this year. :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mattyonyx on March 21, 2021, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 21, 2021, 05:50:25 PM
So this Parasaurolophus is beautiful, but I do wish they hadn't replicated the injuries to the holotype. Not that I'm necessarily against figures with injuries, but this one is of the type that if you don't know that particular story, you could easily mistake it as being what the animal ought to have looked like. Plenty of art, including the Papo figures, for example, seems to suggest that people have mistaken that notch in the vertebral column as the standard condition for Parasaurolophus.

The lack of scutes on that portion of the back may suggest the lesion described in the new paper.
Also, we all know the same bronze prototype leaked way before the paper, so it's plausible to think PNSO didn't have enough time to change the appearance of the figure before the mass-production. The skeletal on the promotional images shows a silhouette with a thicker neck, that's probably all they could do with so little time.

Yeah, I don't fault them for the neck thickness, I just would have preferred an uninjured specimen.

So if the Para is number 44 and the Carcharodontosaurus is number 50, 45-49 are probably some combination of Torosaurus, Edmontonia, Zhuchengtyrannus, and possibly something we've seen art for but no prototype? Lots of possibilities for releases between now and summer. And am I mistaken or have we still not seen a 43?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 24, 2021, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on March 21, 2021, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 21, 2021, 05:50:25 PM
So this Parasaurolophus is beautiful, but I do wish they hadn't replicated the injuries to the holotype. Not that I'm necessarily against figures with injuries, but this one is of the type that if you don't know that particular story, you could easily mistake it as being what the animal ought to have looked like. Plenty of art, including the Papo figures, for example, seems to suggest that people have mistaken that notch in the vertebral column as the standard condition for Parasaurolophus.

The lack of scutes on that portion of the back may suggest the lesion described in the new paper.
Also, we all know the same bronze prototype leaked way before the paper, so it's plausible to think PNSO didn't have enough time to change the appearance of the figure before the mass-production. The skeletal on the promotional images shows a silhouette with a thicker neck, that's probably all they could do with so little time.

Yeah, I don't fault them for the neck thickness, I just would have preferred an uninjured specimen.

So if the Para is number 44 and the Carcharodontosaurus is number 50, 45-49 are probably some combination of Torosaurus, Edmontonia, Zhuchengtyrannus, and possibly something we've seen art for but no prototype? Lots of possibilities for releases between now and summer. And am I mistaken or have we still not seen a 43?

Correct, still no 43 unless they plan to re-release Winter Wilson in the numbered line with different paint apps like they did with the old T. rex and Triceratops. Here's the current list of numbered figures: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/PNSO_Prehistoric_Animal_Models
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Bread

Thanks for the link DinoGuy2! Question though, why are there two 11's?

suspsy

So . . . anytime you want to do the next reveal, PNSO, that would be fine by me!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Bread on March 25, 2021, 11:55:21 AM
Thanks for the link DinoGuy2! Question though, why are there two 11's?

Ask PNSO... I think that Triceratops must have been a limited release? They either forgot and doubled up the number or "replaced" it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SenSx

I think they announced the Carcharodontosaurus early to counter the the GR-Toys one.
It could mean we have at least 6 announcements coming ahead.

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on March 25, 2021, 06:13:25 PM
I think they announced the Carcharodontosaurus early to counter the the GR-Toys one.
That's a clever thought! I don't know if I'm happy or otherwise, what with the pending blow to my finances if that's true.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on March 26, 2021, 01:17:21 AM
Quote from: SenSx on March 25, 2021, 06:13:25 PM
That's a clever thought! I don't know if I'm happy or otherwise, what with the pending blow to my finances if that's true.

It's a good plan on their part, having not even laid eyes on the final version of the GR Toys figure I'm more interested in the PNSO one now.

Halichoeres

Yeah, you may well be right. I have held off on preordering the GR Toys version because of this announcement (although I may still choose it in the end).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SRF

So no new reveals this week? Is PNSO taking it easy on our wallets after all?  ???

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: