You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Royal Tyrrell Museum Speaker Series: stegosaur talk by S. Maidment 15 April

Started by ceratopsian, February 09, 2021, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Some of you might like to check out the Royal Tyrrell Museum's  current speaker series, which runs on Thursdays until the end of April.  You can register and watch "live" (which means you can ask questions), or catch up later on YouTube.  Quite a few are dinosaur-themed.  The one this coming Thursday (11 February) is Karma Nanglu of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, who will talk on "Worms from the Rocks: Burgess Shale Fossils Shed Light on Old Mysteries".  As the talks take place at 11 am Alberta time, they're good for Europe too - 6 pm UK time.

Here's a link to the list of the series and registration:

https://tyrrellmuseum.com/whats_on/special_events/speaker_series

Halichoeres

Oh drat, I've missed the Burgess Shale one. Good thing they're going on YouTube! And there's a whole seminar just on herring!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

The Burgess Shale focused on hemichordates and was most interesting, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.

Last night's (UK time) on amber included quite a few images of Chung-tat Cheung's work.

Next Thursday's is about "Cretaceous Kings of Canada: How Alberta has Shaped our Understanding of Tyrannosaur Dinosaurs", by Jared Voris, University of Calgary.

ceratopsian

Tomorrow's free talk (Thursday 15th April) is by Susie Maidment of the Natural History Museum, London, talking on stegosaurs, one of her special areas of expertise.  11am Alberta time, which is 6 pm UK time.

If you want to register here's the link:

https://tyrrellmuseum.com/whats_on/special_events/speaker_series

Otherwise it can be watched later on YouTube.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Thank you for the Info. I will watch it later on YouTube, but really good to know!

ceratopsian

It was a good, well presented lecture.  Of especial interest for members here: on one of her slides we saw the rearing CollectA Dacentrurus! (Of which I'm very fond.)  This was used to illustrate her research on whether such a pose might have been possible for Stegosaurus.  As her research (with respect to "Sophie") placed the centre of gravity in Stegosaurus right over the hips, it seems likely it could rear up.  So I can enjoy my CollectA model now even more!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.