News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs Coming to the Philadelphia Zoo

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, February 18, 2021, 02:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Philadelphia Zoo just announced a new dinosaur exhibit to open next month. It looks like they'll be using dinosaurs and extinct animals to communicate a conservation message.

https://whyy.org/articles/24-animatronic-dinosaurs-to-take-over-philly-zoo-in-new-exhibit/?fbclid=IwAR239R0DNhLsxhKPUkmAQbVIdLa9kUv3odSjxvoTOhpzU-VDNYH0A27Hp9o

I have no plans to visit the zoo until the exhibit buildings open back up again, but if you're in the area it might be worth checking out.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

My bro lives nearby in Jenkintown.,,might be worth a trip. Doesn't look like the run of the mill Asian made stuff.

Dusty Wren

I've got a friend who lives near Philly, so we met up at the zoo last week to check out the Big Time exhibit. Their dinos are a little odd, but like avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon of the moon said, they're clearly making more of an effort than these types of exhibits normally do to reflect the current state of paleontology. The whole exhibit takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk through if you go slow and read the signs (there isn't much in the way of signage, but you do get a little packet of trading cards with information about each animal).

The Edmontosaurus was easily my favorite of the bunch. Love the patterning they used on it. The sign just says "Edmontosaurus," but the trading card specifies E. regalis. The statue doesn't have a comb, though.

It's always good to see feathers on dinos at these types of exhibits, though Anzu did have those awkward-looking feather sleeves.

Only one pterosaur, and of course it's Quetzalcoatlus, towering over Rex and the world's tallest Ankylosaurus there on the left.

You need a raptor at these things, so here's Dakotaraptor. Oddly, the sign for this one said "The real (scary) thing!" and I'm not sure what they meant by that. Maybe it was referring to Dakotaraptor's size, which is more in line with how big people think raptors are?

Pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of prehistoric mammals! I particularly liked this Glyptodon.

I was stoked to see a Thylacoleo, but disappointed that they didn't give it its awesome shearing teeth.

The exhibit ended with some extant animals that are in trouble (polar bear, Sumatran rhino) and a message about extinction and conservation. Overall, it's a fun exhibit; too small to plan a whole trip around, but a nice addition to a day at the zoo if you're headed there anyway.
Check out my customs thread!

Gwangi

Oh I really like that Glyptodon! The Edmontosaurus too. Philly is about 2 hours from where I live, I might have to make the trip.

Dusty Wren

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, the Philly Zoo is a lovely zoo, and totally worth the trip. Some of the buildings are still closed, but there's still enough to see to make a day of it. Highly recommended if you get the chance. 

Gwangi

Quote from: Dusty Wren on May 10, 2021, 02:20:46 PM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, the Philly Zoo is a lovely zoo, and totally worth the trip. Some of the buildings are still closed, but there's still enough to see to make a day of it. Highly recommended if you get the chance.

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren, I've been to the Philly Zoo before but it was back in 2008, well past time to take another trip.

Shonisaurus

The figure that I like the most of all is the quetzalcoatlus and the edmontosaurus, honestly those two animals from the Cretaceous are the best among those shown in that zoo in Philadelphia. Thanks for sharing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

On our way back now from visiting my brother in philly.  Was able to take my niece and nephew to see this . Pretty cool. Dino Don did this exhibit.  I know in a recent prehistoric times article he said he was instructing the Asian manufacturing to be more accurate and some were.    The quetz had back teeth kinda odd.  The alamosaurus was just very impressive

stoneage

:)  Does anyone have pictures of the Alamosaurus?

Dusty Wren

S @stoneage, here you go:

And here he is again, photobombing the Smilodon:

stoneage

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.