You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 09, 2021, 04:38:36 PM
Understandable given the information they were working on, but pretty much every Carnotaurus produced more than about 5 years ago is way too lanky. Even some recent ones like the Favorite Co version. That's one reason the new Safari version is the only one on my shelf.
Yes, exactly. I have to say that I haven''t checked the proportions of the Battat one and it might, by sheer luck, fit.

Binomial name: Mantellisaurus atherfieldensis (Hooley, 1925)
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Cerapoda->Ornithopoda->Iguanodontia->Dryomorpha->Ankylopollexia->Styracosterna->Hadrosauroidea
Time: Barremian-Aptian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Atherfield Clay Formation, Sainte-Barbe Clays Formation, La Huérguina Formation, Arcillas de Morella Formation (present day UK, Belgium and Spain)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2018
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:31 for NHMUK R5764. Damn, Mantellisaurus was small, I tought it being 1:40
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Baryonyx walkeri Charig & Milner 1986
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Spinosauridae->Baryonychidae
Time: Barremian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Weald Clay Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2020
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: 1:30, so it's in scale with the Mantellisaurus above!

A really nice model, the only problem is its tooth count. Baryonichines have twice the teeth of Spinosaurines. Oh, well, a minor detail anyway.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

Understandable given the information they were working on, but pretty much every Carnotaurus produced more than about 5 years ago is way too lanky. Even some recent ones like the Favorite Co version. That's one reason the new Safari version is the only one on my shelf.

This Velociraptor is phenomenal, too. Peak dromaeosaur.
Fully agree with you, especially how the velociraptor is their best dromaeosaur

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on May 11, 2021, 02:20:17 PM
Binomial name: Baryonyx walkeri Charig & Milner 1986
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Spinosauridae->Baryonychidae
Time: Barremian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Weald Clay Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2020
Scale: 1:30, so it's in scale with the Mantellisaurus above!

A really nice model, the only problem is its tooth count. Baryonichines have twice the teeth of Spinosaurines. Oh, well, a minor detail anyway.
At the low price point that Safari sells this model, the optimum tooth count may not have been an option, technically/ costwise. But, yes, a great figure, like its companion in the current release year, the Daspletosaurus.

Shonisaurus

Nice figure that baryonyx I am sincerely impressed by its beauty but also by its size. I never imagined that Safari would make that baryonyx that acceptable size. The only thing I see is that he has one of his feet that due to a manufacturing error is a little off, mine has that defect although it remains standing without any problem. My congratulations on your photography and your review.

Shonisaurus

Deleted

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Leyster on May 07, 2021, 03:31:47 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 07, 2021, 09:34:13 AM
My congratulations for your beautiful figure and your most beautiful photograph of gigantspinosaurus, it would be appreciated if a company made a larger figure of that curious and rare stegosaurid.
Thank you.
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 06, 2021, 06:43:50 PM
Glad to see you!
That reminds me, if PNSO go back to doing minis, Gigantspinosaurus would be great for a mini because it would probably be close to 1:40 if they did it small enough. Would probably be the only way to get a 1:40 scale figure of such a small Stegosaur

Thak you, surprisingly it's not that small, considering that it's still at a smaller scale than both the PNSO Chungkingosaurus and Tuojiangosaurus

Binomial name: Carnotaurus sastrei Bonaparte, 1985
Classification: Dinosauria>Theropoda>Neotheropoda>Averostra>Ceratosauria>Neoceratosauria>Abelisauroidea>Abelisauridae>Brachyrostra>Carnotaurini
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: La Colonia Formation (present day Argentina)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2019
Scale: surprisingly, a 1:20 for MACN-CH 894

My congratulations on your new acquisition. He is honestly one of the best figures of Doug Watson, the dromaeosaurids, ankylosaurids and ceratopsids are two of his innate qualities honestly hard to beat today. That velociraptor is perhaps one of the best figures of him not only for its scientific quality but because it goes beyond the schemes that always had in the toy market on that raptor.

Leyster

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 11, 2021, 03:17:44 PM

This Velociraptor is phenomenal, too. Peak dromaeosaur.
Fully agree with you, especially how the velociraptor is their best dromaeosaur
I personally prefer the Deinonychus, due to its lips and feathered fingers (and also basically being a figure version of Jed Taylor's drawings), but the Velociraptor is really good.

Quote from: SidB on May 11, 2021, 04:00:31 PM
At the low price point that Safari sells this model, the optimum tooth count may not have been an option, technically/ costwise. But, yes, a great figure, like its companion in the current release year, the Daspletosaurus.
Maybe the could simply make a row of smaller, fused teeth, like in some Carnegies and in the Daspletosaurus, I don't think it would have influenced the price that much. But I'm not a toy producer.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 12, 2021, 10:28:31 AM
Nice figure that baryonyx I am sincerely impressed by its beauty but also by its size. I never imagined that Safari would make that baryonyx that acceptable size. The only thing I see is that he has one of his feet that due to a manufacturing error is a little off, mine has that defect although it remains standing without any problem. My congratulations on your photography and your review.
Yeah, it didn't stand, but it's a little problem, I put it against the back of the shelf.

Binomial name: Allosaurus jimmadseni Chure & Loewen 2020
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Allosauridae
Time: Kimmeridgian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: The Big Al Quarry, Dry Mesa Quarry, Dinosaur National Monument, Salt Wash Member, Howe Ranch Quarry, Howe Stephens Quarry, Little Houston Quarry of the (Morrison Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2021
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:24 for MOR 693

A little birthday gift for myself. Since there is an ongoing debate whether this is A.fragilis or A.jimmadseni, I included both.

Here my review of the PNSO Allosaurus, with my two cents on the fragilis/jimmadseni question.

Concavenator

L @Leyster Congratulations on your new Allosaurus! It's my favorite of the new PNSO releases along with the Yutyrannus. A great addition to your already impressive collection.

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on May 12, 2021, 12:39:11 PM
L @Leyster Congratulations on your new Allosaurus! It's my favorite of the new PNSO releases along with the Yutyrannus. A great addition to your already impressive collection.
Thank you! This Allosaurus is not the best PNSO, imho, but Allosaurus is an old favorite of mine, so I had to buy it... and maybe it's jimmadseni, which I prefer over fragilis.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's very nice, I'm also glad to finally see the Allosaurus with the mouth closed.

Also of course to the gorgeous Baryonyx, my favourite, and funnily enough mine is right next to the CollectA Mantellisaurus also.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Although if the scale is correct, I think I will choose the CollectA for A. jimmadseni instead of the PNSO. Thank you.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 12, 2021, 01:29:59 PM
Although if the scale is correct, I think I will choose the CollectA for A. jimmadseni instead of the PNSO. Thank you.
DINO 11541 is really small, I chose it more because it was the closest skull amond A.jimmadseni, but if you consider it, like, SMA0005 (whose skull is a bit different but whatever) it will end closer to the scale based on DINO2560, more or less 1:26

By randomdinos

QuoteThat's very nice, I'm also glad to finally see the Allosaurus with the mouth closed
I generally dislike articulations, but at least they allow us to pose theropods with the mouth closed, instead of always screaming.

Leyster

Binomial name: Lythronax argestes Loewen et al. 2013
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Campanian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Wahweap Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2016
Scale: 1:34

It's always nice to see feathered theropods

Leyster

Binomial name: Sauropelta edwardsorum Ostrom 1970
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Ankylosauria->Nodosauridae
Time: Albian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Little Sheep Mudstone Section of the Cloverly Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2015
Scale: 1:27 for AMNH 3032, bases on femur lenght

After five years, still one of the best Nodosauridae along (I admit that there is a drastic lack of Nodosauridae, but anyway...). It follows Carpenter 1984, so I find it more trustworthy than the PNSO.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Lythronax and that Sauropelta are 2 of my favourites in my collection. Thank you for sharing.

I also prefer that Sauropelta to the PNSO

Halichoeres

Yeah, this Sauropelta is perfect. I think the posture is much more plausible; the PNSO reminds me a bit of a cat arching its back.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Hard to believe it's that long since the Safari Sauropelta appeared. Such a beautiful model.

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2021, 09:07:14 PM
Yeah, this Sauropelta is perfect. I think the posture is much more plausible; the PNSO reminds me a bit of a cat arching its back.
Yeah, the only problem I have with it is the five-clawed hand, as far as I know derived Archosaurs have only three or less clawed fingers. Still better than the PNSO, I'm not sure how doable that pose is in life considering the stiff back of dinosaurs compared to mammals.

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 15, 2021, 07:18:56 AM
Hard to believe it's that long since the Safari Sauropelta appeared. Such a beautiful model.
I know! It took only five years to me to catch it, but I can say it lives the expectations!

Binomial name: Edaphosaurus cruciger Cope 1878
Classification: Eupelycosauria->Haptodontiformes->Sphenacomorpha->Edaphosauridae
Time: Artinskian (early Permian)
Formation: Maybelle limestone Member of the Lueders Formation, Garber Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2018
Scale: 1:13

Collecta really does nice paintjobs when is not painting dinosaurs!

SidB

This Edaphosaurus really is a fine figure; I'm a bit surprised at myself for not having acquired one yet. I can't use the 1/35 scale excuse, since I do have several excellent Dimetrodons.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: