News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Recollecting (a risky endeavour), you're likely right - my impression of bulk probably come from the music! Funny how sensory input and perception mix and mingle in our brains at times.

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Unfortunately, The PNSO Sinraptor also reminds me of the JW Indominus...

L @Leyster Since both Sinraptor and Plateosaurus were featured in the Carnegie Collection, and Safari has steadily been updating those genera, I think it's likely we will be seeing new figures of both from them at some point.

Great to see you got the Eofauna Deinotherium. I'm not too interested in proboscideans as a group, but Eofauna do a really great job with them, so I got the Deinotherium as a representative (okay, I admit I also have a soft spot for Deinotherium in particular).

The PNSO Acrocanthosaurus is really nice too, and those spikes on its back, while kind of cliché for this particular genus, look nice. That said, though, I get the feeling that the situation with allosauroid integument depiction is totally up in the air at the moment, and because of Concavenator. If its quill knobs indicate it was feathered, that could mean allosauroids, by extension, were/could also be feathered. And if allosauroids were feathered (to some extent) and considering they're not coelurosaurs, who's not to say that, megalosauroids (for example) were also feathered? At the end of the day, my impression is that it's likely the only theropod clade whose representatives are only scaly are ceratosaurians (because of Carnotaurus' and Ceratosaurus' skin impressions). So...maybe all current allosauroid/non-coelurosaur figures are likely to be rendered obsolete at some point (depends on Concavenator or maybe some other non-coelurosaur theropod species that gets discovered before and preserves feathers/whathever structure Concavenator had, in better detail).

Leyster

S @SidB don't worry, it happens every moment  ;D and that sequence is truly impressive.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator if Sciurimimus and Juravenator are megalosaurs (and they might as well be, their placement in Coelurosauria is not that supported) we might have feathered megalosauroids. But still, there is the problem that integument varies a lot among modern animal, and it's risky to extrapolate rules. Like, warthogs have sparse hair (outside of the mane), while forest hogs are covered in fur. Both these animals live in Africa and the forest hog is the bigger of the two. Zebras often live alongside warthogs, are much bigger, still they have fur. If we use these as proxy, we cannot rule out an integument of sparse hairlike feathers for large theropods even if smaller close relatives have denser covering (and in the scale of 1:35 sparse fur is nonexistent, much like no elephant figure depicts the sparse hair they have). But this is if feathers (even simple ones) and fur are equals, and it's not the case. So atm the whole large theropod integument is up to air (well, excluding, like, Yutyrannus...)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Palaeoloxodon antiquus (Falconer & Cautley, 1847)
Classification: Placentalia->Atlantogenata->Afrotheria->Paenungulata->Tethytheria->Proboscidea->Elephantiformes->Elephantimorpha->Elephantidae->Elephantinae
Time: Calabrian-Chibanian(Middle - Late Pleistocene)
Formation: Soleilhac, Abbeville, Grotte du Vallonnet (present-day France); Unterer Travertin of Taubach-Ehringsdorf and Weimar, Randersacker, Karlich 'See-Ufer', Mosbach 2, Mauer bei Heidelberg (present-day Germany); Kalymnos, Kaloneri, Sotiras, Xerias, Terpsithea, Nea Lefki, Kalamakia, unit UA3 of Marathousa 1, Kyparissia surface and 1, 3, 4, Kharoumes III, Koumpes Cave III, Cape Cheladi, Simonelli II Cave, Tyrokomeio, Tsakoni, Grana tou Skoufou, Ravin de l'elephant, Amyntaio lignite mine, Ptolemais, Canal of Corinth, Kostakis Quarry, Nisi, Roupaki, Ambelia, Trilophos, Epanomi, Perdikkas (present-day Greece); strato 4 della Sedia del Diavolo, Slivia, Quisisana-Certosa, Monte Tenda and Zoppega 1 of the Brecce di Soave, S. Giovanni di Duino, Malagrotta, settore 1 di Isernia la Pineta, San Romano, Casa Pontita (present-day Italy); Condeixa-a-Velha, Conimbriga, Foz do Enxarrique, Casal do Torquato, Santa Cruz (present-day Portugal); Huescar 1, terraces of Manzanares river, level AS1, AS1/2, AS3, AS4, AS5 of Ambrona (present-day Spain); Lakhuti 2 (present day Tajikistan); Pakefield/Kessingland gravel, Mundesley, Thorpe, Kirkdale Cave, Victoria Cave (present-day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Eofauna, 2018
Sculptor: Shu-yu Hsu?
Scale: 1:36 for 175-E23B

In my opinion, the most beautiful of the Eofauna elephants
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: unnamed acanthodian (cf. Climatius, fide avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres )
Classification: Acanthodii->Climatiiformes->Climatiida->Climatiidae
Time: Devonian
Formation: /
Manifacturer and date of release: ?
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:1

Almost forgot I had this smol guy

SidB

Small guy reminds me of "cab forward".

Halichoeres

Yours is much paler than the green one I used to have! I based the ID (others like avatar_SBell @SBell have come to the same conclusion) based on the number of prepelvic spines, although they should be paired rather than single.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 20, 2022, 06:53:55 PMYours is much paler than the green one I used to have! I based the ID (others like avatar_SBell @SBell have come to the same conclusion) based on the number of prepelvic spines, although they should be paired rather than single.

Indeed. I have a couple, in grey and pink.

I have a slightly different curvy version in bright pink as well

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres avatar_SBell @SBell interesting. I wonder how many times this was knockoffed. I found mine in one of those plastic fish bags ages ago, and didn't realize until recently it was a prehistoric fish, had to dig back among toys of when I was younger (thus explaining the paler green: it's probably discoloration).

Binomial name: Diplodocus carnegii Hatcher, 1901
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Diplodocidae->Diplodocinae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Carnegie Quarry, FS Quarry and Brushy Basin Member of the Morrison Formation
Manifacturer and date of release: Eofauna, 2022
Scale: 1:40 based on CM 84 (holotype)

One of the best sauropod models around, plus it's beautifully coloured... and the price tag is nice, too!

Concavenator

The Eofauna Diplodocus is a real masterpiece, hoping to get mine soon as well. Just a shame that Diplodocus receives so much attention in comparison to other members of its family, namely Barosaurus but especially Apatosaurus (and Brontosaurus as well). Not a single good figure of any of those around (well, at least that I know of!), and it's especially surprising for Apatosaurus, which is also one of the most famous dinosaurs of all time.

Also, I noticed you don't have a Spinosaurus (or at least you haven't shown any)... is it because of its fragmentary nature? Or are you simply not interested in any of the current available versions?

SBell

Quote from: Leyster on August 21, 2022, 04:26:59 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres avatar_SBell @SBell interesting. I wonder how many times this was knockoffed. I found mine in one of those plastic fish bags ages ago, and didn't realize until recently it was a prehistoric fish, had to dig back among toys of when I was younger (thus explaining the paler green: it's probably discoloration).

I know the first ones I had, late 80s, came with a bunch of Prior/Azure recast fish. Although it appears to be unique as those sets never included it.
There's been a range of colours over the years

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on August 21, 2022, 04:26:59 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres avatar_SBell @SBell interesting. I wonder how many times this was knockoffed. I found mine in one of those plastic fish bags ages ago, and didn't realize until recently it was a prehistoric fish, had to dig back among toys of when I was younger (thus explaining the paler green: it's probably discoloration).

Binomial name: Diplodocus carnegii Hatcher, 1901
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Diplodocidae->Diplodocinae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Carnegie Quarry, FS Quarry and Brushy Basin Member of the Morrison Formation
Manifacturer and date of release: Eofauna, 2022
Scale: 1:38 based on CM 84 (holotype)

One of the best sauropod models around, plus it's beautifully coloured... and the price tag is nice, too!
You're quite right - it's a wonderful figure. I always feel sorry for people who are 'best (one) of a kind' collectors and have to forego this one or , say, the 2008 Carnegie collection Diplodocus. What a choice! This one, though, is probably at the top of the pile. A worthy competitor , qualitywise, to Eofauna's esteemed Atlasaurus. Glad that you chose to add it to your growing collection, L @Leyster .

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2022, 04:55:21 PMThe Eofauna Diplodocus is a real masterpiece, hoping to get mine soon as well. Just a shame that Diplodocus receives so much attention in comparison to other members of its family, namely Barosaurus but especially Apatosaurus (and Brontosaurus as well). Not a single good figure of any of those around (well, at least that I know of!), and it's especially surprising for Apatosaurus, which is also one of the most famous dinosaurs of all time.
Well, I wouldn't say that Diplodocus gets much attention, in the latest two or three years we had only this and the two versions of the Favorite. Werent two Apatosaurus pubblished at a similiar short time one from another, the Papo and the Safari? And then we had the Collecta Brontosaurus. Still, I agree that an updated Apatosaurus (in 1:40, please!) would be nice.
QuoteAlso, I noticed you don't have a Spinosaurus (or at least you haven't shown any)... is it because of its fragmentary nature? Or are you simply not interested in any of the current available versions?
It's a mixture of not liking the vast majority of Spinosaurus on the market (most of them are too crocodile-like for my tastes and I never saw one that had me run for the "buy it now" button) and the knowledge that is a very poorly understood dinosaur, so like tomorrow it might come out a paper which changes it again.

Quote from: SidB on August 22, 2022, 03:39:12 AMYou're quite right - it's a wonderful figure. I always feel sorry for people who are 'best (one) of a kind' collectors and have to forego this one or , say, the 2008 Carnegie collection Diplodocus. What a choice! This one, though, is probably at the top of the pile. A worthy competitor , qualitywise, to Eofauna's esteemed Atlasaurus. Glad that you chose to add it to your growing collection, L @Leyster .
I think it surpasses the Atlasaurus in colour, since the latter has a strange grey wash which bugs me a little, I do not understand what it's supposed to represent and I think the model would've looked better without it.

Concavenator

L @Leyster well, when it comes to Diplodocus, there is the CollectA 2013, Safari 2017, Favorite 2020 and of course, this Eofauna 2022. There's also an upcoming one by Rebor. With all that, I think Diplodocus is sufficiently well represented at this point, whereas for Apatosaurus, the most worthwhile ones might be the Safari 2010 and Papo 2015 and neither of them are up to date. And I agree, 1:40 is like the perfect scale for sauropods.

On to Spinosaurus, what do you think of the upcoming Mesozoic Life one? That will probably be the best version around, once it's released. But yeah, Spinosaurus is very poorly known so I'm starting to think I will pass on getting any until (or if) more remains are found.

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator as I said, atm there is too much uncertainty surrounding Spinosaurus. I have to admit that the Mesozoic Life is probably the nicest one available atm.

Halichoeres

A dramatic angle! But then this figure is hard to photograph in full profile!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Binomial name: Deinocheirus mirificus Osmólska & Roniewicz, 1970
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Ornithomimosauria->Deinocheiridae
Time: Campanian? Maastrichtian? (late Cretaceous)*
Formation: Nemegt Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2022
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier od Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:31 for IGM 100/127 (largest specimen if you do not count that ulna whose referral is dubious)

*There are some doubts about the exact age of the Nemegt Formation

What can be said about Deinocheirus? What can not? I remember reading about this animal whose forelimbs were the only known parts (well, almost), and then in 2014 not one, but two more specimens surfaced. This animal is now virtually completely known, and what a strange animal it is! It turned out that its arms are the less crazy part, after all.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Great addition and top notch figure. Period. Mine arrived too just two days ago :)

ceratopsian

Every time I see a photo of this release, I want my own model - which is currently in a container somewhere en route to the UK.  I remember very clearly seeing images and what must surely have been a cast of those forelimbs, many moons ago, and being thoroughly intrigued.

Leyster

avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs absolutely, one of the best from PNSO, from an artistic point of view (I haven't scrutinized its scientificity yet, but atm it appears mostly good)

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Aw that's a pity. I hope it'll reach you soon!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: