News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

have PNSO prices become too high?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, May 05, 2021, 05:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Looking over a few of the new PNSO figures.  Nice figures..  But the prices for the figure size are getting out of whack.  I was considering the Qianzhousaurus  but the best deal I can find is $40US shipped.  And that's a good deal.  Most of the places I usually buy from have much higher prices. 

That's crazy for a figure that's 9 inches long and not even 4 inches tall.  As I said, nice figure but...

Concavenator

I have that Qianzhousaurus. While it is on the higher price side, it is a very high quality model. 40 USD while a bit expensive for what it is, isn't totally unreasonable in my opinion. But 31 USD for the Pachycephalosaurus and the Pinacosaurus, as good as they may be, is very exaggerated. On ED, the Pinacosaurus is 5£ more expensive than the Eofauna Atlasaurus (!!!!)  :o Nothing else needs to be said...  ;D

Of course, the models are great, so if you end up picking them up, they'll be awesome additions to your collection, that's for sure. It's just that some of them are overpriced for what they are.

Bread

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 05, 2021, 05:49:46 PM
Looking over a few of the new PNSO figures.  Nice figures..  But the prices for the figure size are getting out of whack.  I was considering the Qianzhousaurus  but the best deal I can find is $40US shipped.  And that's a good deal.  Most of the places I usually buy from have much higher prices. 

That's crazy for a figure that's 9 inches long and not even 4 inches tall.  As I said, nice figure but...
Prices have been increasing slowly, but you could buy one from amazon. Currently there is a sale going on for PNSO figures. Just got the Spinosaurus for $33 instead of $40.

andrewsaurus rex

I was just looking at the Pachycephalosaurus a while ago.  Another nice figure but is only about 7 inches long and thus noticeably smaller than the Safari figure at twice the price.  Again, it is a nicely done figure but...

The only one of the new PNSO figures I am considering is the Qianzhousaurus.  Now, that is in large part to the fact that I only collect animal figures that are 1/18 scale.  So mercifully, none of the new PNSO figures are.  :)

The Qianzhousaurus I was going to use as a 1/18 Alioramus, with tiny mods to the skull.  Alioramus is one that the upcoming BOTM series has skipped over and I find it an interesting asian tyrannosaur.   But i'm going to need to find an ebay coupon or something before I buy it.

sauroid

the Pachycephalosaurus is kinda overpriced for its asking price imo. im waiting a few months maybe it will go down price-wise (im guessing because it's quite new)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gwangi

The prices are high, but I'm not sure I would say they're too high because if they were I wouldn't buy them. That said, there are a few I won't buy exactly for that reason. You definitely have to shop around for good deals. I would not pay the $30.99 price that Amazon is asking for the Pachycephalosaurus, but on Aliexpress I was able to buy it (without packaging) for $24, including the shipping fee. Even that is still stretching what I'm willing to pay for that particular figure but what can I say, I really like it. At that price it's only a few dollars more than the Safari Pachycephalosaurus, which is $20.50 on their site right now.

When the Ankylosaurus was released a couple years ago for $20 I was really excited. A great price for a great figure. I feel like $20, give or take a few bucks, is the ideal price range for this mid-sized range. About $30 is my limit and unless I REALLY like the figure, like the Corythosaurus, I won't be paying much more than that. With that said, the Safari Edmontosaurus figure is $30 too, and I think some Safari figures are overpriced as well. Maybe I'm just cheap.

suspsy

We're living in an age where prices on virtually everything have been raised thanks to COVID. Hasbro recently announced that they're raising prices on their products and I have it on good authority that CollectA is also having problems with raw materials.  :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

This forum would think nothing of paying hundreds for a Toyway produced Walking With Dinosaurs tie in Ornithocheirus figure due to it's rarity,but I would never pay more than 10 U.S. Dollars for it.
And yet I find the prices of the new PNSO dinosaurs like the Packycephalosaurus and Allosaurus quite reasonable,so it's all relative to what you really want. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Quote from: John on May 05, 2021, 08:58:06 PM
This forum would think nothing of paying hundreds for a Toyway produced Walking With Dinosaurs tie in Ornithocheirus figure due to it's rarity,but I would never pay more than 10 U.S. Dollars for it.
And yet I find the prices of the new PNSO dinosaurs like the Packycephalosaurus and Allosaurus quite reasonable,so it's all relative to what you really want. :)
This. Also old Battat figures as well ::)

I'd like to add to that their prices are not outrageous; however, they are noticeably increasing. I would also say that what bothers most people about the price is the size of the figure, such as the Pachycephalosaurus and Pinacosaurus. Two figures that are much smaller than past releases but cost $10+ more. I may complain about the price from time to time, but nonetheless I will buy what I like, of course for a reasonable price.

Mellow Stego

I personally think the prices are fair. Size shouldn't be indicative of pricing.

Now those bronze statues on the other hand...
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

stargatedalek

I think prices are far too high.

A large part of their appeal was their affordability relative to the quality of their designs. Their "resurgence" period in particular enamoured a lot of new people on the idea of PNSO as a "mid-end" line, with great care and quality put into the design of products and modest paint applications to keep the prices reasonable.

Their giant Ceratosaurus is about the same price as the new much smaller rex. That hurts to see.

Then paint started getting more detailed, and prices rose, and now paint is getting worse, and prices are still high.

ceratopsian

I think prices are fair for the product offered.

acro-man

PNSO products on the Chinese market are quite reasonably priced, mostly around $20-25-ish.
Last year, it was $15-20.
I think the high price on the overseas market is caused by import tax and postage and the *very strict* foreign currency control by the gov, and most importantly - the lack of good distribution network. They literally have no in-store sales.

BTW, the to-be-released Carcha and Yuta are also $20 in China. More than 1000 buyers bought them during presale session. They will be available for purchase in late June.
I quite worry those prices will reach $40 too.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Concavenator

Quote from: acro-man on May 06, 2021, 10:47:31 AM
BTW, the to-be-released Carcha and Yuta are also $20 in China. More than 1000 buyers bought them during presale session. They will be available for purchase in late June.
I quite worry those prices will reach $40 too.

avatar_acro-man @acro-man Out of mere curiosity, how do you know that more than 1000 people bought those two? Also, I'm not completely sure on the situation of the Yutyrannus. We have been told it will be released in late June or July as you said, but I remember reading on Paleo-Nerd or Paleofiguras that it is now being sold on the Chinese market?  ??? That also explains what you said about people already buying them. But does by buying mean that they're preordering them or are they just buying them and they're already available there? I don't understand this. If the Yutyrannus and the Carcharodontosaurus were already available in China, I would expect to see in hand pics of them from the people already buying them in Baidu (for example).  ???

Edit - I just read "presale". But again, it's strange how you can preorder the Carcharodontosaurus from some shops, but not the Yutyrannus...

Cretaceous Crab

I'm kinda new to the PNSO market; mostly been a Safari LTD, Papo and newer CollectA guy myself. My first mid-sized PNSO figure was the Sinoceratops, which is probably one of the best figures in my entire collection thus far, in terms of detail and quality.

Since then, I've had my eye on others of the 2020-2021 mid-sized line. I will say that until seeing comparison photos from other members, I always assumed the figures were slightly larger, based on the prices. That said, I don't think the prices are outrageously unreasonable, because the quality is definitely rivaling, if not surpassing, that of Papo and Safari LTD. But I'm still hesitant to throw nearly $40 at a figure only 7" long.

acro-man

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator
Well, that's because the Carcha and Yuta were put on a Chinese crowdfunding website called Modian, one like Kickstarter. Pretty sure nobody on this forum has heard of it... The numbers are there - 700 some Carcha and 391 Yuta preordered. Here's the link:
https://zhongchou.modian.com/item/112352.html?_ga=2.126788685.1908965611.1620293631-1891814860.1616152842

Sadly, I don't think it's available for international buyers.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Concavenator

avatar_acro-man @acro-man Thanks for the answer! Didn't know that site. But do you know if those people that ordered those 2 models are receiving the figures now, and they don't have to wait for the summer?

Carnoking

I do think the prices are a little high, but the final product is usually pretty bang for buck in terms of quality.

Dinoguy2

I think a lot of the high prices we are seeing are just taxes and tariffs being passed along to customers by the distribution companies. As mentioned, the prices in China are not high, and the prices on Ali are usually pretty reasonable. The prices on foreign distribution sites, from ED to Dan's to Amazon, are much higher. But the fact that every so often a figure pops up on Prime for much less money (and two-day shipping) suggests to me that once you take overseas distribution out of the equation, PNSO is not any more expensive than similar "higher end" figure companies. I just got the Spinosaurus on Amazon within 24 hours of placing my order, for $33. That's equivalent to Safari prices. The fact that Amazon can offer it at that price means that's the "real" price and anything higher is inflated.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Bread

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 06, 2021, 03:24:09 PM
I think a lot of the high prices we are seeing are just taxes and tariffs being passed along to customers by the distribution companies. As mentioned, the prices in China are not high, and the prices on Ali are usually pretty reasonable. The prices on foreign distribution sites, from ED to Dan's to Amazon, are much higher. But the fact that every so often a figure pops up on Prime for much less money (and two-day shipping) suggests to me that once you take overseas distribution out of the equation, PNSO is not any more expensive than similar "higher end" figure companies. I just got the Spinosaurus on Amazon within 24 hours of placing my order, for $33. That's equivalent to Safari prices. The fact that Amazon can offer it at that price means that's the "real" price and anything higher is inflated.
Your perspective and assumption is probably the most accurate as to the cause for high prices. It really does make sense seeing someone else point it out.

My only worries about this whole price talk and discussion is whether or not Yutyrannus and Carcharodontosaurus figures will for sure be arriving to us international customers? If a kickstarter was needed, is there a risk for us international customers not being able to receive these figures at their expected release (June or July)? Or even at all?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: