News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/11±1 Smilodon populator

Started by blnadal, June 24, 2021, 01:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Soooo tempting to acquire one, even though it scales with none of my Cenozoic mammals. Definitely a showpiece acquisition.

Shonisaurus

I know that I am a disc grated in my messages but each company of toy dinosaurs and / or collectibles is surpassing day by day. That smilodon is the best smilodon made by any company to date. Honestly Rebor has done a very good job and has made the smilodon of my dreams. Magnificent figure! A feast for my eyes.

SenSx

It looks even better than I thought... OO
Thx for the pics, please warn me when Everything Dinosaur has it in stock!  ;D
But I'll order it with the new Papo Smilodon pupy, hope it won't take too long...

blnadal

Shonisaurus

It is fabulous that the smilodon are made in two pieces with two detachable heads and without the articulated jaws. In this way, Rebor very intelligently satisfies both those of us who are fans of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals without articulated jaws, such as my case, as well as those who wish that the jaws in this case of the smilodon can be closed or opened, Rebor lo solve with a body with two heads, one with an open mouth and the other with a closed mouth. Smart decision, as I have already commented previously.

On the other hand, as you can see, Rebor is not a toy since the removable smilodon heads could pose suffocation problems for young children. Rebor is intended for an adult audience as are companies such as PNSO, W-Dragon or Nanmu Studio to give other examples.

suspsy

Exact same anatomical flaws as virtually every other Smilodon figure: the head is too big and the neck is too short.

https://chasingsabretooths.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/on-the-track-of-smilodon-at-last/#jp-carousel-1042
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2021, 02:07:51 PM
Exact same anatomical flaws as virtually every other Smilodon figure: the head is too big and the neck is too short.

https://chasingsabretooths.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/on-the-track-of-smilodon-at-last/#jp-carousel-1042

You are right. Checked it, immediately lost interest just now. Now it only looks cartoony to me. Might have to sell mine when it arrives.

REBOR_STUDIO

Without fur:

Perspective turned on:

Tiger:

Tiger without fur:

I beg to differ ;)

SenSx

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 06, 2021, 06:57:58 PM

Without fur:

Perspective turned on:

Tiger:

Tiger without fur:

I beg to differ ;)

Convinced me to find some needed love for my order/purchase again. Good post REBOR!

suspsy

Without fur:

Perspective turned on:

I beg to differ ;)

Sorry avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO, but even without fur, the head and neck are still off, and the fangs are too long as well. But as I said before, those failings are common to pretty much every Smilodon figure in existence.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Step-by-step-reconstruction-of-the-head-of-Smilodon-A-skull-and-mandible-B-with_fig3_235349543

Bread

I think it really is just the head being too large compared to the body. The neck seems fine though. Every company does this so I would ultimately say this or CollectA's may be the two best on the market.

stargatedalek

The neck is way too short, it's what kept me from ordering one earlier, but I wasn't aware just how dramatically too short it was. The eyes seems to place off a bit too.

This thing wasn't a tiger, it was most closely related to bobcats and lynxes out of all living cats. Closer even to house cats than to tigers.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2021, 12:11:40 AM

Without fur:

Perspective turned on:

Tiger:

Tiger without fur:

I beg to differ ;)

Sorry avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO, but even without fur, the head and neck are still off, and the fangs are too long as well. But as I said before, those failings are common to pretty much every Smilodon figure in existence.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Step-by-step-reconstruction-of-the-head-of-Smilodon-A-skull-and-mandible-B-with_fig3_235349543

Off how? It was sculpted around a 3D scanned S.populator skeleton with recreated intervertebral discs and articular cartilages.

Stretch your neck by bending your head backward and see how your sternohyoid muscles move&if your neck become thicker in lateral view.

Did you take curled back lips into account? Your reference images all have lowered upper lips covering large portions of fangs.

"Smilodon is most famous for its relatively long canine teeth, which are the longest found in the saber-toothed cats, at about 28 cm (11 in) long in the largest species, S. populator." That makes them roughly around 2.3-2.8cm in 1:11±1 scale. Ours are 2.6cm in length.

And people said it was "unrealistically ripped" before fur were added. Guess experienced sculptors with trained eyes have poorer judgement than average enthusiasts ;)

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 07, 2021, 01:34:56 AM
The neck is way too short, it's what kept me from ordering one earlier, but I wasn't aware just how dramatically too short it was. The eyes seems to place off a bit too.

This thing wasn't a tiger, it was most closely related to bobcats and lynxes out of all living cats. Closer even to house cats than to tigers.

No S.populator's closest living relative is Neofelis nebulosa or the clouded leopard. And we didn't say it's a tiger or a lion did we? It's just to show how different large cats may look with and without fur.

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 07, 2021, 02:28:35 AM
Off how? It was sculpted around a 3D scanned S.populator skeleton with recreated intervertebral discs and articular cartilages.

Which specimen was it? Can you share an image?

QuoteStretch your neck by bending your head backward and see how your sternohyoid muscles move&if your neck become thicker in lateral view.

Human anatomy is even less comparable to a Smilodon's than a tiger's.

QuoteDid you take curled back lips into account? Your reference images all have lowered upper lips covering large portions of fangs.

That makes no difference. What matters is the fact that the fangs on your model extend further past the mandible than on any of the S. populator skulls in any of the images I've been able to find online. But again, I'd be very interested to see the specimen that you scanned. 

QuoteAnd people said it was "unrealistically ripped" before fur were added. Guess experienced sculptors with trained eyes have poorer judgement than average enthusiasts ;)

So you're saying that Mauricio Anton is an "average enthusiast"? That's a good one.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Not trying to get involved with the debate around proportions but just wanted to say that Smilodon and all other machairodontines are equally closely related to all extant cats, so no modern cat is more closely related to Smilodon than any other.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

stargatedalek

Look at that chart again, ocelots are their closest relative, so seems we were both wrong.

And looking at the skeleton and at the furless sculpt again, the neck is too short, and even accounting for the pose it looks like the hind legs are way too short, as the front legs are bent slightly too. The upper hindleg is also to short relative to the tail.

Not everything needs to be scientifically rigorous, there's nothing wrong with making stuff just to be cool, but I don't give Schleich a pass on claiming their toys are scientific and I'm not doing the same here either. If this was sculpted from a scanned specimen ya'll got scammed.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2021, 03:25:12 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 07, 2021, 02:28:35 AM

Which specimen was it? Can you share an image?

QuoteStretch your neck by bending your head backward and see how your sternohyoid muscles move&if your neck become thicker in lateral view.

Human anatomy is even less comparable to a Smilodon's than a tiger's.

QuoteDid you take curled back lips into account? Your reference images all have lowered upper lips covering large portions of fangs.

That makes no difference. What matters is the fact that the fangs on your model extend further past the mandible than on any of the S. populator skulls in any of the images I've been able to find online. But again, I'd be very interested to see the specimen that you scanned. 

QuoteAnd people said it was "unrealistically ripped" before fur were added. Guess experienced sculptors with trained eyes have poorer judgement than average enthusiasts ;)

So you're saying that Mauricio Anton is an "average enthusiast"? That's a good one.

Who said Mauricio Anton is an average enthusiast? >:D

"Online".

And you didn't think that the head/skull ends at tips of pulled back ears did you?

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 07, 2021, 05:36:40 AM
Look at that chart again, ocelots are their closest relative, so seems we were both wrong.

And looking at the skeleton and at the furless sculpt again, the neck is too short, and even accounting for the pose it looks like the hind legs are way too short, as the front legs are bent slightly too. The upper hindleg is also to short relative to the tail.

Not everything needs to be scientifically rigorous, there's nothing wrong with making stuff just to be cool, but I don't give Schleich a pass on claiming their toys are scientific and I'm not doing the same here either. If this was sculpted from a scanned specimen ya'll got scammed.

Fur and soft tissue can be quite deceiving sometimes, even the neck Mauricio Anton's own reconstruction looks much shorter than that of his muscle study works; and a head sculpt with open mouth and pulled back ears can indeed look larger in lateral view.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: