News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, it's true that I'm not much into allosauroids, but it's strange, I tend to find it hard to resist a good allosauroid figure!  Among allosauroids, Allosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus are among the ones I like most so I am quite interested in having figures of them.  Additionally, the two Allosaurus species David is making are known from great remains and have a distinctive look to each of them so they end up being different enough to be worthwhile having both.

It's also true that I like dromaeosaurids a lot and that I'm not keen on fragmentary species, but the reason I'm not getting the Achillobator is because I don't like dromaeosaurids with bare faces.  I feel the same about the BotM Tsaagan.

suspsy

FYI David says that the Cyberzoic T. rex will be more of a dark brown as opposed to the green in the finished battle scene.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Darko2300

Quote from: suspsy on July 31, 2022, 03:08:04 AMFYI David says that the Cyberzoic T. rex will be more of a dark brown as opposed to the green in the finished battle scene.
Well, that's certainly noteworthy news - thank you for sharing!

Concavenator

I asked David how big will the Allosaurus be and he told me it will be about 20 inches long, so that puts it in the size range of the Daspletosaurus/Albertosaurus/Gorgosaurus/Tarbosaurus, as suspected.

suspsy

I'm curious to learn how big the Acrocanthosaurus will be. It's supposed to be the Fire Clan's opposite to the Tech Clan's T. rex, but there's a considerable size difference between the two. T. rex is also wider.

Eocarcharia

A recent comment on facebook asked if the Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus, and Acrocanthosaurus would be 15, 17, and 25 inches respectively, to which David replied they would be 'around that size'. Take that for what you will.

Sim

I like the colouration of the Tyrannosaurus in the recent Cyberzoic artwork, I hope its actual colouration will be just as nice.  As for Acrocanthosaurus being smaller and slimmer than Tyrannosaurus, bigger doesn't always mean better.

I'm not planning to get the Tyrannosaurus so the Acrocanthosaurus will probably be the biggest dinosaur figure I've ever had, beating the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus!

Eocarcharia

I've been catching up on news from my time away, so here's some updates that I haven't seen posted here~

Renders of the Utahraptor and Achillobator sculpts:
Spoiler

[close]

Another awesome concept piece:
Quote from: Creative Beast StudioAmong the many warrior classes in the Fire Clan, none are more celebrated among the people than the mighty Hunters. A status reserved for only the strongest, most athletic warriors, Hunters are trained to track, tame or kill wild animals using minimal resources, relying heavily on physical skill and agility. Public contests are held regularly to measure the attributes of the Hunters against some of the most dangerous wildlife, harkening back to ancient Earth in the times of gladiatorial combat. When the Hunters are victorious, the kills become a feast for the masses, and the tamed are used for defense or farming. The Hunters are seen as heroes to both young and old, providing hope for human-kind in a harsh and unforgiving world.

Concept art by Raph Lomotan.

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioThe Fire Clan leader and his lieutenant oversee the match... more on them later.

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioAnd here are some of the Hunter concepts, again by Raph Lomotan.

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioHappy Cyberzoic Friday! Today we have a look at one of the heavy-hitters for the Tech Clan, the Allosaurus with Tech Knight leader, the 'Silver Savior' Argenteus!

'As the heroic leader of the Tech Knights, Argenteus is praised by the Technologist people for his great strength, leadership, and bravery against the Fire Clan as well as the native Dragons that threaten their territories. His Allosaurus is their army's best all-around offensive mount. In addition to its physical agility and obvious claws and teeth, the Allosaurus is heavily armed with an array of advanced light-weight weapons as well as an alternate low-altitude vehicle mode for the pilot. Argenteus is a loyal servant to the Technologist people and to Xennix, but he's ignorant to the true cost of his people's prosperous lifestyle.'

Concept art by Ross Persichetti

And finally, photos from SDCC of the prototypes for the raptors and the Arctic Dragon, aka 'Kuraokami.'
Spoiler

[close]

More coverage here: https://news.toyark.com/2022/07/23/sdcc-2022-beasts-of-mesozoic-and-cyberzoic-display-478586

suspsy

Part of me wishes that there aren't any dragons at all and Cyberzoic was just a straight up prehistoric line. Hopefully their presence will increase interest and sales, though.

I asked David what the armament on these figures will be like and he said it'll mostly be energy-based weapons and maybe some missile launchers, but no machine guns or Gatling guns or anything else with bullets. That suits me fine.

terrorchicken

Great looking stuff! I'd like to have at least the carnotaurus and one of the dragons but whether i actually do get them is another story. They are not only gonna be really pricey bc of their size(so far Ive stuck to the smaller sized BOTM figures,) I have no idea were Im gonna store/display them. :P 

Sim

I agree with suspsy regarding preferring that there were no dragons in Cyberzoic.  But I'm grateful for the line having lots of prehistoric animals and allowing Beasts of the Mesozoic to continue.

I like that there is equality of the sexes in the hunters, both male and female hunters have bare parts.  I like the second hunter on both the top and bottom rows, they are very original.

Lastly, the poor Carnotaurus has a spear in it!

suspsy

So with Tyrannosaurus rex as the Tech Clan's flagship beast and Acrocanthosaurus as the Fire Clan's, I wonder who will be selected for the Desert and Water Clans? Dragon Clan will obviously have a dragon for theirs, perhaps the one we've already seen.

Carcharodontosaurus seems like a good choice for Desert. As for Water, many would say Spinosaurus, but I think either Tylosaurus or Mosasaurus would be cooler!

Sim

Since the search suggestions from Google are an indication of what people have been searching for, I think the Desert and Water clans will most likely have Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus respectively.  Personally, I used to like Carcharodontosaurus but its remains are really not great so I'd prefer Giganotosaurus was selected over it.  I'm not interested in a Spinosaurus figure and would prefer Mosasaurus or Tylosaurus over it, but Spinosaurus is extremely popular so I would be surprised if it wasn't the one chosen for the water clan.

Coming back to Giganotosaurus, I am already planning to get the BotM/Cyberzoic Acrocanthosaurus, and I tend to find it hard to resist good allosauroid figures so maybe I'd prefer it if Giganotosaurus wasn't made so I don't have to want another huge and expensive figure.

suspsy

I strongly suspect that Spinosaurus will not be the Water Clan flagship beast. Indeed, I suspect that the Water Clan will consist of beasts that are actual water dwellers: mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, crocodyliforms, and sharks. In which case, Mosasaurus or Tylosaurus would be the prime choice for the designated big boy. Or possibly Pliosaurus.

Pliosaurking

A David Silva pliosaurus would be AMAZING!

Sim

You've convinced me that the Water clan won't have spinosaurids and that it will have water dwellers instead.  Something that supports this is the spinosaurid in the Cyberzoic artwork seeming to be part of the Tech clan.

Concavenator

I really wish there'll be a 1:35 scale version of the Allosaurus... At 1:18 scale and 20" long, I'm assuming it will cost 140 USD, same price as the BotM tyrannosaurs of that size range (200 €+ when shipped to my country). Very big and expensive.

Since there are 1:35 scale versions of Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops, it would also be neat to have at least the Allosaurus and the Stegosaurus in 1:35 scale too, so the classic Jurassic duo can be displayed together at both scales. It also helps they're some of the most famous dinosaurs of all times and that 1:35 is (probably) the most requested scale.

On another note, a Giganotosaurus may be unavoidable at some point, but in my case, I'm not interested in one. Not only would it be ginormous, but also super expensive. And there are good Giganotosaurus figures already, instead of an umpteen Giga, why not a Meraxes instead? For a carcharodontosaurid, it has pretty good remains.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Concavenator on August 04, 2022, 12:41:54 AMOn another note, a Giganotosaurus may be unavoidable at some point, but in my case, I'm not interested in one. Not only would it be ginormous, but also super expensive. And there are good Giganotosaurus figures already, instead of an umpteen Giga, why not a Meraxes instead? For a carcharodontosaurid, it has pretty good remains.
I agree, and I hope that in general we get lesser-known or lesser-used species in the series.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I would totally go for the recently described Meraxes. I really hope we get that one in this line at some point. And thinking of potential carcharodontosaurids to include, I'd really like your namesake as well. The fact it's a smaller one would help reduce the sting of the cost some.

I also really like the coloration of the Carnotaurus in the concept art above. I also really cannot wait to get my hands on that Arctic Dragon action figure. I've been wanting an action figure of that since I saw the model kit in person way back in 2016 or 2017, alongside the raptor prototypes. It's great seeing how it sizes up to the 18th Tyrannosaurus, and the 1/18th raptors, and smaller ceratopsians. I think it'll look great paired with the Yutyrannus as well. I'm impressed both the dragon, and the new dromaeosaurids seem to have fall 2023 as their estimated ship date.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Since you mentioned Concavenator, you reminded me I should give some news on the Mesozoic Life thread.  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: