News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I couldn't find anything on ornithosuchids being digitigrade, but I did find a study that supported Poposaurus being digitigrade which is new to me.

TheCambrianCrusader

Really? I coulda swore Riojasuchus was digitigrade, guess I was mistaken. Quick look through the 2020 paper on its postcranial skeleton seems to suggest it was plantigrade after all (tho like most papers its pretty jargon heavy). Where did you find the study on digitigrade Poposaurus? That's also news to me.

Sim

TheCambrianCrusader

Huh, that's definitely interesting

suspsy

Well, there it is, folks. Triceratops horridus. I've added images to the OP.

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2021/11/26/new-collecta-models-for-2022-final-part.html

Butt fuzz aside, I think that's a pretty cool toy, especially given that the skin texture was inspired by the Lane specimen. It's also neat that the colour scheme is going to be shared by the paleoart at the Melbourne Museum's upcoming exhibit.

Overall, the 2022 assortment is small, but pleasing. For certain CollectA has beaten out both Papo and Schleich again. Now it's Safari and PNSO's turns. Oh, and Mojo Fun. Can't forget them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

I was hoping that the design wouldn't include the 'bristles' over the hips, but I really suspected that they'd be included for the sake of consistency with their other ceratatopsians. Still, I'm basically quite pleased with the figure and definitely plan to add it to my Triceratops collection. It will be an interesting counterpart to Doug Watson's great Safari sculpt. Another fine 2022 figure by CollectA. (I even like the white markings, at first glance).

Bread

Bold statement, but I prefer it over Eofauna's.

Yeah I actually really like this one; however, with the small PNSO rumor and leaked image, I am going to wait for theirs especially if it is a Torosaurus (I don't see myself having both a Torosaurus and Triceratops). The colors on this one I love a lot, definitely unique and an improvement over their old Trike.

suspsy

Also, looking at that lovely, carefully researched, and painstakingly sculpted head, I really wish it wasn't going to have an articulated jaw.

Fembrogon

Yeah, I can't see an articulated jaw doing anything besides messing up how good the sculpt is. Maybe Collecta will surprise us, though.s
I think I like it, overall - this will probably be one of the best Trike figures currently on the market, behind the Safari and the BotM figures.

John

When it comes to scalation based on skin impressions,CollectA really knocked it out of the park in both Edmontosaurus regalis and Triceratops horridus. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

triceratops83

Absolutely fell in love with this at first glance, then read it was just the prototype and will feature an articulated jaw. Articulation and bases are simply not an option for me. I can see why people like articulated jaws on Theropods, but Ornithischians don't need this. I liked the thought of getting both, but I might just get the Edmontosaurus, which is pretty boss. Overall though, Collecta has done pretty well again this year, a very reliable brand.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 26, 2021, 02:03:24 AM
It's also neat that the colour scheme is going to be shared by the paleoart at the Melbourne Museum's upcoming exhibit.

Oh that's my local museum! So cool! I might have to go and buy it from them on a visit, honestly really liking the look of this Trike even if it's going to get an articulated jaw (at least ceratopsian skulls aren't bad for articulating, if my BotM Trike is anything to go by).

I wonder though if that might give us an insight into when it will be available? As the exhibit is meant to open March 2022 (it was meant to be this month but for pandemic reasons everything got delayed), it might come out then?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

That triceratops exceeds my expectations, I would have liked it not to have had those paint colors as "war colors" and also that it did not have bristles as I call it or a tuft of feathers on the back colloquially speaking, that is the negative And I also wish it didn't have an articulated jaw, but without a doubt it is one of the best triceratops made, surpassing that of Safari, the sculpture is spectacular, the details at first sight are meticulous and are at the same level of genius as that of Eofauna although for me their Eofauna counterparts are prettier. Exceptional and necessary figure for my collection. This year the Collecta figures except the coopoceras are all Deluxe that is fantastic! It has been one of the most outstanding years of Collecta and honestly five figures are excessive, considering that the current animals take up little space in the novelties of this year by Collecta, comparatively Collecta has been much more careful for the prehistoric line than on other lines and that we are coming out of the covid-19 pandemic.

Skorpio V.

I'm sure it was already answered somewhere elsewhere, but is Doug Watson's Safari triceratops t.horridus or t.prorsus? The horn position makes me think prorsus, but just double-checking.

The body sculpts seem like they're similar enough to each other, and the quills could be sexual dimorphism as a male; I think a good repaint would have them suit each other so long as one doesn't dwarf the other (which they shouldn't, considering Doug's is 1:35 and this one is "1;40", we never know with CollectA when they say Deluxe).

Either way, I adore both of CollectA's Late Cretaceous North America offerings this year! Although Hell Creek is arguably overrated, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 1:40 Dakotaraptor in standard scale for the next set they release ^-^.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

bmathison1972

I have Doug's databased as T. horridus, but I don't remember how I came about that

suspsy

AFAIK, there's never been a toy officially labelled as Triceratops prorsus. Which is really a shame. I like it better than T. horridus.

Gwangi

This is CollectA's best ceratopsian to date, and I prefer it over Eofauna's which I realize might be controversial but I never much liked that one. I don't like the quills and I'm concerned about the articulation but I like the integument and color palette. I might get this one and if I do it will be the only CollectA ceratopsian in a ceratopsian collection otherwise dominated by Safari and PNSO.

Thialfi

Wow, I really like that trike. It has great presence and heft to it. Great colours as well. Told myself I would take it easy on actual dinosaurs (not on other prehistoric animals though!), but this will be hard to resist..

Also, even though it doesn't fall in the prehistoric category, I wanted to point out this rather beautiful angler fish CollectA will release in 2022. And I guess technically it was already around a long, long time ago! Angler fish diversified in the cretaceous I believe?

Duna

Oh, I love the fish, she even has a male "attached" ...  ^-^

About the triceratops, is just as we could expect from Collecta, a nice sculpt, brown-dull colors on the body and warpaint on the head. It also has oversized scales in legs, head, tail ... probably the same as Safari, but something that Eofauna didn't do. I don't like those quills and the articulated jaw, either. They don't look nice in ornitischians. For me without doubt the best is the Eofauna (though is not the same species), followed by the Safari and then this one.
A nice year for saving as I'm only getting the edmontosaurus (I love the hooves). From this year, only the Mamechisaurus.

Sim

I don't like this new Triceratops, it looks ugly to me.  It's interesting though that CollectA was asked to make it by an organisation, the same way it happened with CollectA's Microraptor.  I'm surprised CollectA didn't seem to think they needed to update their Triceratops or release a dromaeosaurid, both things that were noticeably lacking in their line.  And at the same time they would release lots of cephalopods and ornithopods, two groups that don't seem popular.

avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. the Safari 2018 Triceratops was confirmed to be T. horridus by avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson.  I'm not aware of any Triceratops toy representing T. prorsus.

avatar_Duna @Duna, the scales of the new CollectA Triceratops and the Safari 2018 Triceratops look the right size to me.  Triceratops's skin had large scales as can be seen here: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/12/dinosaur-scales-some-thoughts-for.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: