News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on November 27, 2021, 07:48:11 PM
That's interesting, although the posts I was thinking of weren't by REBOR.  I think one was referring to why ornithopods weren't made more often, and another was talking about why a BotM hadrosaur line wouldn't be a good idea.  But I don't remember very well beyond the general idea.
That second example was me.

Including a few weird creatures like CollectA does means that people who've already got their rex or their spino from Papo or Schleich, will always have a reason to turn to CollectA anyway. And the more strange and unique the more parents and grandparents recognize them as something a kid doesn't already have. Does Timmy have a Pachyrhinosaurus? It looks like a Triceratops and he has one of those already, but he definitely doesn't have a trilobite or an ammonite yet.

And I've long thought BOTM should do the same, I suggested switching to basing series loosely around formations just after the Tyrannosaur series was announced and it seems that might be the lines direction moving forwards.

But doing a set entirely of hadrosaurs would be a big risk. CollectA or Safari could probably get away with a year of just hadrosaurs if they really wanted to because their back catalogues are constantly available*. BOTM figures do seem to remain in production, at least some of them, but their distribution is unpredictable and stores aren't typically keeping a selection in stock at a given time. To do a whole line of hadrosaurs for BOTM would likely not see great success beyond a small selection as the demand just isn't as high. A lot of folks want a hadrosaur, maybe even a couple, but they aren't like ceratopsians or tyrannosaurs where people are more likely to get a few different species, or the raptor series where accurate raptors were so completely unrepresented at the time (and even now they are only competing with a handful from Safari).

*Though that risks flooding the market all at once and competing with themselves which defeats the small advantage weird figures would have.

suspsy

I'm not at all convinced that a BotM hadrosaur series would be unsuccessful. I reckon many fans would want prey items for their tyrannosaurs to hunt, especially since not all of them have counterparts among the ceratopsians. Not to mention the fans who just plain love hadrosaurs. But it's a moot point given the plan for Cyberzoic.

Getting back to CollectA, they appear to be the most prolific company when it comes to ornithopods. Since their inception, they've done:

Hadrosaurs
-3 Parasaurolophus (Deluxe, standard, and baby)
-Edmontosaurus
-Corythosaurus
-Lambeosaurus
-Olorotitan
-Tsintaosaurus
-Kamuysaurus

Non-hadrosaurs
-2 Iguanodon (Deluxe and standard)
-Mantellisaurus
-Ouranosaurus
-Muttaburrasaurus
-Camptosaurus
-Tenontosaurus
-Fukuisaurus
-Hypsilophodon family

Not too shabby.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Skorpio V.

Anyone know how accurate this Trike's hands are? They look pretty forced inward in comparison to what I've seen elsewhere. Plus the first toe without the claw seems big.

Or am I over-analyzing it?
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on November 28, 2021, 01:24:11 AM
I'm not at all convinced that a BotM hadrosaur series would be unsuccessful. I reckon many fans would want prey items for their tyrannosaurs to hunt, especially since not all of them have counterparts among the ceratopsians. Not to mention the fans who just plain love hadrosaurs. But it's a moot point given the plan for Cyberzoic.
I don't think it would be unsuccessful, but I don't think 20 hadrosaurs could get funded the way it happened for tyrannosaurs, raptors, and ceratopsians. A series of 3-5, or maybe even more (~8-10), would probably do plenty well.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 28, 2021, 05:29:14 AM
I don't think it would be unsuccessful, but I don't think 20 hadrosaurs could get funded the way it happened for tyrannosaurs, raptors, and ceratopsians. A series of 3-5, or maybe even more (~8-10), would probably do plenty well.

I don't know, I think you could have applied that exact same argument to all of the BotM lines. The entire world knows Tyrannosaurus rex and Triceratops and Velociraptor, and to a lesser extent Gorgosaurus and Styracosaurus and maybe Dromaeosaurus, but even a lot of longtime enthusiasts have never heard of Teratophoneus or Spiclypeus or Tsaagan. And yet here we are. I think there's more than enough hadrosaur lovers out there to justify a full series. But as I said, it's ultimately a moot point at the moment. If Cyberzoic really does take off, David may want to do a second series. Wouldn't fault him.

stargatedalek

After the raptor series released I saw a lot of casual fans or non-dinosaur fans in other action figure communities buying them, even the weirder species. Star Wars and Monster Hunter figure collectors in particular seemed to grab them right up. Most just picked out the one (or a couple) that they liked the look of the best from the set, as they were "all some kinda raptors". BOTM might sell dinosaur invested collectors on hadrosaurs, but general figure collectors would be a lot more reluctant.

CollectA is in much better of a position to do something like that, as their figures aren't crowdfunded, and their back catalogue is always available alongside new figures, but flooding the market too quickly with them would probably burn people out quickly. Everyone might want a hadrosaur, but not many people would want 8-10 different ones. Making entirely one underrepresented group rather defeats the point of variety in ones releases.

Szajmin

Ok

Cooperoceras - nice, i want it, because it is unique, but nothing scream greatness for me. Just a nautilus/ammonite with spikes for me.

Edmontosaurus - safari one has a better colour scheme. I will probably buy a cheaper one.

Paraceratherium - nic, i would prefer it with more elephant/rhino-like skin and colours. I like the trunk, the ears.

Pteranodon - another Pteranodon, maybe i will buy it if small and cheap

Triceratops - cool, but i dont like the white and the head

Spinosaurus - natural and beautiful looking, i want it

Smok -on the one head, for me it is another extinct crocodile relative. I mean Collecta could released the same figure and called it Prestosuchus and i would accepted it.

On the other hand i am from Poland so i like this series of Poland fauna  I hope for more

I will prefer a bipedal design

MORE POLISH ANIMALS PLEASE

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek You make a really good point about variety (and getting burned out with too much representation for one group, unless one group is all someone collects, as some here do). That's why I really like the spread CollectA has this year (if not in prior years as well). They have at least something for someone (or more). Both CollectA and PNSO have been on a roll with that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I'm not sure there is anything from CollectA for me this year. :-\  There hasn't been in previous years, although I'm constantly considering getting their newer Iguanodon which is an excellent figure.  I wish CollectA had released a long-tailed pterosaur this year instead of a second Pteranodon in a row, but its new size class seems an encouraging sign that CollectA has more pterosaurs planned in this size.

stargatedalek

I would be extremely sad if they ended the biannual supreme pterosaurs. I just wish they would do slightly smaller species so they would be 1:1 instead of ending up in less used scales like 3-4:1.

MLMjp

Been busy this Friday and weekend.

I guess T. prorsus and E. annectens are doomed to be overshadowed by their respective type species...Having said that, I think I like the sculpt and colors of this Triceratops better than SafariĀ“s... but those measurement give something larger than the Papo Trcieratops and unfortunately, that means it will be too big for the collection.

After last year brought a few offerings that I actually wanted, this year is disappointing for me. The Edmontosaurus is the only one that interest me... and I still have to decide between it and the Safari version. The Spinosaurus is a maybe, Triceratops and Geosternbergia are not in my scale range, and I have zero interest in the rest.

triceratops83

While I'm torn on getting the new Triceratops due to the articulation, it's a beautiful design and leaves me hopeful for future redoes of deluxe figures like Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus and Brachiosaurus. Apply the design aesthetic of the Trike to those figures and I think we have something to really look forward to.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Getting back to CollectA, they appear to be the most prolific company when it comes to ornithopods. Since their inception, they've done:

Hadrosaurs
-Edmontosaurus
-Corythosaurus
-Lambeosaurus
-Olorotitan
-Tsintaosaurus
-Kamuysaurus

Non-hadrosaurs
-Ouranosaurus
-Muttaburrasaurus
-Camptosaurus
-Fukuisaurus
-Hypsilophodon family

Not too shabby.

Cool to see their ornithopod achievements laid out like this!

SidB

Quote from: MLMjp on November 28, 2021, 11:42:15 PM
Been busy this Friday and weekend.

I guess T. prorsus and E. annectens are doomed to be overshadowed by their respective type species...Having said that, I think I like the sculpt and colors of this Triceratops better than SafariĀ“s... but those measurement give something larger than the Papo Trcieratops and unfortunately, that means it will be too big for the collection.

After last year brought a few offerings that I actually wanted, this year is disappointing for me. The Edmontosaurus is the only one that interest me... and I still have to decide between it and the Safari version. The Spinosaurus is a maybe, Triceratops and Geosternbergia are not in my scale range, and I have zero interest in the rest.
VERY roughly, the trike seems to be around 1/32 scale, maybe a bit bigger, possibly around the same size as the Nanmu, whose arrival I'm anticipating this week. I hope that CollectA will handle the jaw articulation in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Shonisaurus

I hope that the jaw does not spoil the figure, of the triceratops since the prototype is magnificent. In any case, the protoceratops from the same company has a jointed jaw and does not look bad at all, although perhaps without them it would have been a more attractive ceraptoside

suspsy

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 29, 2021, 02:03:42 PM

Hadrosaurs
-Edmontosaurus
-Corythosaurus
-Lambeosaurus
-Olorotitan
-Tsintaosaurus
-Kamuysaurus

Non-hadrosaurs
-Mantellisaurus
-Ouranosaurus
-Muttaburrasaurus
-Camptosaurus
-Fukuisaurus
-Hypsilophodon family

Not too shabby.

Cool to see their ornithopod achievements laid out like this!

I forgot Mantellisaurus. Fixed that.

terrorchicken

they also made a tenontosaurus

the paraceratherium is the stand out for me...I can finally replace my sticky old one! ;D  also like the pteranodon but I already have the Bullyland one. Is the Bullyland standing pteranodon outdated in any way?

suspsy

Thialfi

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 10, 2021, 06:52:36 PM
Thanks for posting that photo, Thialfi! Glad to see CollectA rounding out their Triassic offerings a little bit.

Very much welcome, and wholeheartedly agree! Nice to see these two Polish giants together.

Just realized I posted the former image in the wrong thread, so here goes again. Together with a nice group shot of the new triceratops. As much as I like the new PNSO offering, I am more warmed up to this version. The fancy colors and competitive price point being the main reasons. Nice to see her from a different angle. She'll form a nice tag team together with the superb EoFauna trike to combat the theropods on my shelf.

Really happy with CollectA for 2022, can't wait. There are at least four models in there I will want to add to my collection.

SidB

Their Trike is very impressive, I agree. I'm hoping that the articulation of the jaw (which I don't think is a good idea), is handled well, if that idea is actualized.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: