News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Duna @Duna, I forgot to mention that as far as I can see the Eofauna Triceratops's skin doesn't match known Triceratops skin.

Thialfi

avatar_Duna @Duna right?! The attached male is an amazing little detail!

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on November 26, 2021, 02:38:09 AM
Also, looking at that lovely, carefully researched, and painstakingly sculpted head, I really wish it wasn't going to have an articulated jaw.
On display, it may have to conform to the adage of "keeping it's mouth shut and ears open."

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on November 26, 2021, 02:58:31 PM
This is CollectA's best ceratopsian to date, and I prefer it over Eofauna's which I realize might be controversial but I never much liked that one.
You're definitely not alone on that opinion. I was definitely back and forth on whether the eofauna triceratops belongs in my collection or not. Definitely glad I decided against acquiring it as I prefer CollectA's. Only thing that may bother me is the jaw articulation.

Faelrin

It's a nice update over their old one although it will be an easy pass for me as I'm quite satisfied with the Safari Ltd one (and the BotM one). Thinking about it I am rather relieved only a few really interests me. I am so behind and running super low on space as is.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

In my opinion CollectA's 2017 Einiosaurus, Regaliceratops and Styracosaurus are better than this new Triceratops.  I can't bear to look at the latter because of the colouration streaking on its snout.

Bokisaurus

Awesome triceratops and nice bold colors.
That lantern fish is something else and very nicely done!
Great 2022 lineup!

Grimbeard

I was waiting with my reaction post until all upcoming released were posted, so here we go:

- Cooperoceras: The sculpt looks nice, but i think the paintjob is a bit too white/bright for my taste. I think the head part look a bit too nautilus-like for my taste. I will skip this one.

- Edmontosaurus: Looks nice, but I think the Safari one has the better sculpt and especially paintjob. This one looks a bit too busy and uses too many too diferent color tones for my taste. I like the crest far better on the collecta one though, the safari ones looked quite....tacked on, both in shape and colore. This crest looks more natural and acutally being part of the animal. Since I currently dont look for an Edmontosaurus, i will pass.

- Paraceratherium: This one I really like. I think the mangy hair tuft gives it plenty of character and doenst look too weird or out-of-place, but thats personal preference. I also like the updated head and the general, powerfull sculpt and pose. The scale works also really well with my collection, I will most likely get this one.

- Pteranodon sternbergi: While it's finally a pterosaur in a more "manageable" scale from collecta, I think the paintjob is a tad too flash for my taste, especially on the arms and wing-finger. Since I currently dont collect pterosarus, its a pass for now.

- Smok: The most exiting one for me from collecta next year. I like the take on making it a rauisuchids  instead of an early theropod. I would prefered it though if it would be a biped, since we dont have any bipedial rauisuchid toy (at least none I am aware of outside of resin statues). I love the paintjob, I'm a sucker for tiger stipes, also like the black eyes. Will most likely get this one for my triassic shape, although it would compete with the Safari Postosuchus.

- Spinosaurus: I'm one of the few people who dont really like Spinosaurus. Since we got a lot of new spinosauri on the last few year, this one faces stiff competition. While I like this better then both Safari ones, the previous collecta ones and the first PNSO one, I would still prefer the new Essien and actually both the Papo "(un)limted edition" and the Schleich one (I still cant belive how that one is so much better then any other theropod Schleich has ever made). The skin looks a bit too rough for my taste, I really like the the paintjob though. I currently hesitant to get a Spino, especially with the concurrent flux regarding its restauration.

- Triceratops: Second best Triceratops after the Eofauna in my oppinion. The skin texture on the collecta one is actually looks better, but I slightly prefer Eofaunas colors (especially the head of the cryptic one). I also dislikes collectas gimmick with the back/tail quils on there large ceratopsians. Not a the biggest fan of the potential articulation as well. Since I already own one of the Eofauna trike, I will pass on this one.

Overall, I think its a pretty strong and diverse lineup, pleasant surprise.

stargatedalek

Not trying to change anyone's mind, but Cooperoceras is a nautilus, not an ammonite that's been reconstructed looking like a nautilus.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on November 26, 2021, 06:11:04 PM
I don't like this new Triceratops, it looks ugly to me.  It's interesting though that CollectA was asked to make it by an organisation, the same way it happened with CollectA's Microraptor.  I'm surprised CollectA didn't seem to think they needed to update their Triceratops or release a dromaeosaurid, both things that were noticeably lacking in their line.

You don't know what CollectA did or didn't think. They could just as easily have been planning to replace their old Triceratops regardless. They've gradually been replacing their old stock for years now, after all. Was only a matter of time.

QuoteAnd at the same time they would release lots of cephalopods and ornithopods, two groups that don't seem popular.

Actually, I heard it straight from my source at CollectA that the 2020 invertebrates sold very well, hence why we got Pravitoceras this year and why we're getting Cooperoceras next year. The ornithopods have also sold well. The Kamuysaurus keeps flying off the shelves in Japan (predictably).
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on November 27, 2021, 12:47:11 AM
And at the same time they would release lots of cephalopods and ornithopods, two groups that don't seem popular.

Actually, I heard it straight from my source at CollectA that the 2020 invertebrates sold very well, hence why we got Pravitoceras this year and why we're getting Cooperoceras next year. The ornithopods have also sold well. The Kamuysaurus keeps flying off the shelves in Japan (predictably).

Glad to hear the cephalopods sold not just well, but very well! I've noticed that stock of the cephalopods in local Hong Kong stores move much faster than even the dinosaurs! CollectA took a risk and it paid off. Wish more companies did the same.

Quote from: Sim on November 26, 2021, 07:09:14 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna, I forgot to mention that as far as I can see the Eofauna Triceratops's skin doesn't match known Triceratops skin.

I do find it weird how Eofauna chose to not include the "Lane" specimen integument on their Triceratops figure. Maybe there's a case to be made for different Triceratops species having different integument? Since "Yoshi's trike" to my knowledge may very well represent a transitional state between T. horridus and T. prorsus.

Gwangi

I've been in this hobby for roughly 10 years now, I have enough dinosaurs that a lot of the more predictable releases bore me. It's for that reason that things like cephalopods and ornithopods interest me the most. I appreciate the diversity, it keeps the hobby fresh, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

Faelrin

I'm very glad to hear the prehistoric invertebrates have been successful for them, if not at least the cephalopods (I do hope they do more trilobites like their fantastic Redlichia, etc too though). CollectA has honestly impressed me in that they not only make yearly Cenozoic releases but it feels as if we are getting at least 1 Paleozoic and/or prehistoric invertebrate for several years straight now, aside from the typical Mesozoic stuff. I really hope they continue making Paleozoic animals, rather they be invertebrates or vertebrates.

Really hope to catch up on these as soon as I can because they really deserve their due for taking the risk to begin with.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Honestly some of Collecta's new prehistoric animals are the spinosaurus, edmontosaurus, triceratops and pteranodon stembergui.
The spinosaurus is one of the most beautiful judging by the photographs that a well-detailed and well-sculpted dinosaur brand has ever taken.

I really like the edmontosaurus what kills it a bit is the greenish paint details but nevertheless it competes on the same level of genius as its Safari counterpart, they will make a good duo in my collection.

The triceratops is a great figure but it has the flaws pointed out the day before by me (articulated jaw, war paint and tuft of feathers on the back) otherwise it is the coolest triceratops made to date for me although it is for me superior those of Eofauna.

The pteranodon stembergi is spectacular and the most positive thing does not have the defect of the paleoartistic interpretation carried by the philosophy of Collecta of its predecessor of 2021 although the latter will be very difficult to overcome in years as the best pteranodon made in dinosaur brands toy.

The coopoceras is beautiful but it is an invertebrate and although I will obviously collect it, it does not have the same charm as a prehistoric fish, for example. Those white colors give it a beautiful and esoteric look but without a doubt I like it better how its predecessor the pravitoceras from 2021 is painted, which was spectacular.

The paraceratherium is sincerely appreciated that Collecta has done a lot, I do not share its palaeo-artistic interpretation of that prehistoric mammal and it will honestly be in my case in the background in my collection along with its counterpart from Itoy, who seems to me due to its size and sculptural beauty. it will be difficult for any company to surpass you in years.

Regarding the smok it is a beautiful figure but as other members of DTF have said I would have been delighted that it was bipedal, the colors of the tiger sculpture nevertheless give a very spectacular image to that rare prehistoric Triassic animal from Poland.

On the other hand, I am glad that Collecta has made almost all its figures in Deluxe size and honestly today it is the classic company that is doing the best in terms of revealing dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in this coming year, followed closely by Eofauna, although obviously it does not exceed it since it only has two revelations, although for me they are worth twice as many dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

My grade this year from Collecta is 9 out of 10. It is appreciated that Collecta is always at the forefront of better figures of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals along with Safari.

Sim

I don't like this new Triceratops, it looks ugly to me.  It's interesting though that CollectA was asked to make it by an organisation, the same way it happened with CollectA's Microraptor.  I'm surprised CollectA didn't seem to think they needed to update their Triceratops or release a dromaeosaurid, both things that were noticeably lacking in their line.

You don't know what CollectA did or didn't think. They could just as easily have been planning to replace their old Triceratops regardless. They've gradually been replacing their old stock for years now, after all. Was only a matter of time.

Obviously I don't know what CollectA did or didn't think, that's why I said "CollectA didn't seem to think".  I got the impression that CollectA only made their Microraptor and 2022 Triceratops because they were requested to since CollectA didn't say they had been wanting to do it regardless.  I get your point though, they may have wanted to make them anyway.

QuoteAnd at the same time they would release lots of cephalopods and ornithopods, two groups that don't seem popular.

It's interesting those groups have sold well.  I haven't seen as much enthusiasm for the invertebrates as I would expect if that is their popularity, but it seems that's just the way things are.  As for the ornithopods, I wonder why people here have said they don't sell well then?  Because of how that's been expressed I wouldn't have expected the Kamuysaurus to sell well.

suspsy

No one here has said that ornithopods don't sell well. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

People here have said or implied ornithopods don't sell well.  I don't remember the thread(s) this has been said in so I can't find it now.

Psittacoraptor

I love that they keep making invertebrates. The Cooperoceras looks wonderful.

The markings on the Triceratops look unusual at first, but they've grown on me.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on November 27, 2021, 05:41:59 PM
People here have said or implied ornithopods don't sell well.  I don't remember the thread(s) this has been said in so I can't find it now.
REBOR has said as much multiple times, but, they're REBOR. They've rather deliberately fostered a customer base who wouldn't want anything that wasn't monster film adjacent. Whether that's true or that's them seeing what they want to see, it doesn't make a good representation of brands like CollectA.

Sim

That's interesting, although the posts I was thinking of weren't by REBOR.  I think one was referring to why ornithopods weren't made more often, and another was talking about why a BotM hadrosaur line wouldn't be a good idea.  But I don't remember very well beyond the general idea.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: