News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 16, 2021, 03:46:41 PM
Are these confirmed? Or someone's artistic predictions?

they are legit; by the way, I have all the extant animals up on the ATF if you are interested :)

DragonRider02

Wow, that Proto looks awful. It has the 'vibe' of those no-brand dinosaur toys that show-up on Aliexpress out of nowhere. Or a weird Schleich bootleg.
The Styraco repaint also 'feels' like something I would see on an Aliexpress bootleg :-X I guess I should get the original color version while it's still avaiable...
At least Mosa is quite nice.

It really looks like from now on, the only dinosaurs from Papo to be excited about are the modern ones, at least for me.  :(

Primeval12

I photoshopped the mouth of the Protoceratops shut. if it has an articulated jaw, I will be buying it because I love how it looks!

SidB

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 16, 2021, 04:16:45 PM
I'll definitely be getting the Mososaurus. It looks really damn cool and I love it. The Protoceratops I may be getting if the jaw is able to shut. I think it'll look good with the jaw shut.
Good idea about the jaw, though passable may be better than good, IMO. The Mosasaurus seems to be a positive.

SidB

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 16, 2021, 04:26:36 PM
I photoshopped the mouth of the Protoceratops shut. if it has an articulated jaw, I will be buying it because I love how it looks!

Hmmm, okay.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah well as others have said, Proto is a train wreck, Styraco is good if boring, Mosa looks stellar but I want to see inside the mouth more.  Hope the Krono is as awesome.

paleochris

I am very disappointed with these new products papo. It seemed to me that a small revolution was possible in terms of sculpting and strategy after Everything Dinosaur's message this summer, but for me it's worse than the 2019 models !

The protoceratops looks like a bad Schleich.
The marine reptile is decent but has little interest after the PNSO releases
The repainted Styracosaurus has no interest for me, they could have made a new scultpure, I still prefer the original too

No papo for me this year and I start to believe that my Gorgosaurus, Spinosaurus limited edition and Pentaceratops 2019 will be the last ones forever...

Long live PNSO...

Lynx

Quote from: Takama on November 16, 2021, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: Lynx on November 16, 2021, 03:38:25 PM
Does anyone have an image of the Protoceratops? I'm guessing it's:
1. In a bipedal or odd position
2. Horrible sculpt
3. Bad paint job

Oh that's... not half as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, it looks hideous with the mouth open, but looking at the seems it seams the mouth can close, which would make it look just fine. I don't see exactly why people are complaining? I mean, sure, it's not perfect, but it's not a trainwreck with a shut mouth. Hopefully they post some more pictures soon with it closed.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on November 16, 2021, 04:59:21 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 16, 2021, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: Lynx on November 16, 2021, 03:38:25 PM
Does anyone have an image of the Protoceratops? I'm guessing it's:
1. In a bipedal or odd position
2. Horrible sculpt
3. Bad paint job

Oh that's... not half as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, it looks hideous with the mouth open, but looking at the seems it seams the mouth can close, which would make it look just fine. I don't see exactly why people are complaining? I mean, sure, it's not perfect, but it's not a trainwreck with a shut mouth. Hopefully they post some more pictures soon with it closed.
After seeing the mouth closed, you are right it is not as bad. I think its really the color that bothers me. I hope its much darker in hand. I never liked the vibrant type of green this figure has.

Lynx

If it's a small figure (As protoceratops should be) I'll buy it! Not as bad as people are saying.
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

The Mosasaurus is LEAGUES ahead of what I expected, definitely the highlight of the bunch, can't wait for in-hand pictures.
Styracosaurus repaint is...not very appealing.
The Protoceratops may look better in hand, I do like the pattern on the crest but the large scales on the tail are kinda off-putting and green may not be the most fitting color for this guy. Certainly a mixed batch.

Lynx

Does the repaint have a pattern or is it just a solid color repaint?
An oversized house cat.

Primeval12

Messed up the photoshop, brought the head down instead of tilting it forwards. This is more of what we will get. I still plan on getting it.

Ivántirrophus

I really like the mosasaurus, I hope it has a decent size.
The protocetatops is horrible.
I think Papo doesn't retunr with a victory.

stargatedalek

Gonna be real... best mosasaur yet? From Papo? Is this really Papo? It's incredible I want four.

Protoceratops, while not accurate, I don't exactly feel like the Dinotales version is in dire need of a replacement yet, so I'm actually rather fine with this. At least it's a cool and original monster design, I actually quite like it. I will probably get multiple of it too actually.

GojiraGuy1954

I'll get Mosa and just stick to CollectA and Wild Past protos
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Grimbeard

- The Mosasaur looks really good, certainly miles better then their Plesiosaurus or Schleichs Mosasaurus. I would say on par with the collecta one, but with that certain Papo "JP-Monsterish" vibe.

- The Styracosaurus repaints looks like a downgrade, the painting looks far less detailed then the original and the color choices look....unpleasant.

- The Protoceratops looks like a Nutcracker. If that head is statics, its legitimetly awefull. The head in general looks way too small and short as well, Protoceratops had a huge head in relation to its body. I am also not sure what the end of the tail is suppose to be? Osteoderms? Quills? A Fluke?  The paint scheme reminds me Papo Ceratosaurs, whos paint scheme I also didnt liked. Bold, lush greens on Dinosaurs are kinda hard to properly pull off without looking too cartoonish. The best one I can remember is the Woodland Version of Rebors Stegosaurus.

Since I dont collect marine reptiles, all three are a pass for me.

Shonisaurus

I honestly have to say that the protoceratops does not convince me, the colors are beautiful, but the sculpture of the head with the open jaws does not seem very interesting to me, sincerely I stay with other figures of that emblematic Asian dinosaur from other collections. The details of the sculpture are nice but I expected something more from Papo.

The mosasaurus is much better than its tylosaurus, more dynamic and less like Benjamin Whaterhouse Hawkins but it is far from the beauty that I expected them to make of that dinosaur, although it looks foreshortened.

Papo's repainted styracosaurus is fine and honestly even though it is a repainted figure it is the best figure of the bunch and those cool paint colors give it a flattering look.

Honestly, anyway I expected something more from Papo and that I'm a fan.

The figures are pretty but not spectacular from my humble point of view, the protoceratops and mosasaurus could be prettier although one sees the mosasaurus in foreshortening and the protoceratops ugly that jointed jaw.

Mellow Stego

The Mosasaur looks great.

I'm hoping the Styracosaurus looks better in hand. I'll wait to see what people say about it after they get it.

The Protoceratops? Uhhh, it's not terrible, but I'll stick to my CollectA and BotM models.

Edit: The Protoceratops is starting to grow on me.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

GojiraGuy1954

I hate the Papo doomers.

PNSO didn't steal their market. PNSO models are sold at a way higher price range, on Amazon & similar online stores. Papo is the only company of its kind that sells highly detailed dinosaurs in physical stores.

Neither did Nanmu. Same problems. Higher prices, exclusively online.

Papo doesn't even rely on their dinosaurs to stay afloat as a company. They made many more extant animals last year and this year, meaning they are much more profitable.

They've been going since 2005, in terms of the Prehistoric Line. That's Sixteen years. They know what they're doing.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: