News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palaeontologica

The Papo Mosasaurus actually looks appealing! As for the Styracosaurus, it looks ... generic. Looking at that Protoceratops makes me crave death.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

- Arthur C. Clarke

Fembrogon

I like the Mosasaurus; it's a stylized take, but it looks much more naturalistic in design and posture than a lot of Papo's recent offerings, at least from photos.
The Protoceratops, on the other hand, looks like a Pez dispenser. No Comment on the Styrac repaint.

Palaeontologica

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 16, 2021, 07:47:56 PM
I like the Mosasaurus; it's a stylized take, but it looks much more naturalistic in design and posture than a lot of Papo's recent offerings, at least from photos.
The Protoceratops, on the other hand, looks like a Pez dispenser. No Comment on the Styrac repaint.
I always wondered what those were called! I agree, though, that the Protoceratops looks abysmal. I'm surprised that the mosasaur seems to be one of the best ones out there, though.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

- Arthur C. Clarke

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 07:11:08 PM
I hate the Papo doomers.

PNSO didn't steal their market. PNSO models are sold at a way higher price range, on Amazon & similar online stores. Papo is the only company of its kind that sells highly detailed dinosaurs in physical stores.

Neither did Nanmu. Same problems. Higher prices, exclusively online.

Papo doesn't even rely on their dinosaurs to stay afloat as a company. They made many more extant animals last year and this year, meaning they are much more profitable.

They've been going since 2005, in terms of the Prehistoric Line. That's Sixteen years. They know what they're doing.

Same here, Papo certainly isn't going anywhere in the dinosaur toy market. Sure, this wave isn't "amazing" (though it's far from bad!) but it's not like Papo is going to die out in popularity because of it. When a new batch is released, people aren't going to only buy figures from that new batch. Thousands of people buy the fairly old Brachiosaurus and Green Tyrannosaurus Rex every day. The triceratops and ceratosaurus, along with the velociraptor are also old, but people still buy them in masses. Papo might not have gotten many purchases of the Smilodon Cub or Megalodon, but still got plenty of sales with extant animals and other older dinosaur releases.
Papo is doing just fine, and is not going anywhere anything soon.
(Apologies for ranting, these kinds of things just bother me quite a bit)
An oversized house cat.

indohyus

Mosasaurus looks great, not sure about the Protoceratops, maybe better when the jaw isn't so far open.

MLMjp

Oh God, the Amargasaurus sculptor is back, and this time committed it´s dark schemes on the Protoceratops...

I was expecting the Mosasaurus to be a JW clone but it´s actually it´s own thing and it looks good! A bit of a shame it doesn't have the longer body and shorter tail of recent Mosasaurus reconstructions, but its Papo we are talking about.

Dinoxels

why does the mosasaurus have osteoderms...
OSTEODERMS
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Duna

I like the Mosasaurus, it's interesting and detailed (and I'm sure it will look even better in the first in-hand- reviews or photos). By now I'm fine with the Collecta smooth version, so I'll wait.
I already have the reddish styracosaurus (the new paint is not an improvement for me), well, it's in my childrens' hands. I didn't like much that figure because of its arm loonger than the other and the giraffe neck. But the sculpt is nice and detailed as it should be in a Papo. I don't plan to get rid of it by now.
The protoceratops in that picture looks exactly like if it was a Schleich non-ceratopsian figure (ceratopsians are really good by the way). The open mouth doesn't help at all, if it was closed it would surely look better. Head should be much much larger. Why only a few give protoceratops its proper large head and thin extremities? Collecta is not an option for me, their Protoceratops is too large, out of scale.

At list we have to say thanks Papo is on their way again. At least no strange poses. The mosasaurus is just the Papo esence: well sculpted, detailed, well painted and a little bit of "monster-dragon" esence.

MLMjp

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 16, 2021, 10:00:31 PM
OSTEODERMS
It doesn't...
Where are you seen those osteoderms? All I see are scales and wrinkles on it´s skin...

If you are talking about that thing on its back, its a fin.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on November 16, 2021, 05:14:24 PM
If it's a small figure (As protoceratops should be) I'll buy it! Not as bad as people are saying.
If it's in the 1/35 range, give or take, it's an option for me. Otherwise, not.

Mattyonyx

About these leaked images, I'd like to point out that many channels, Tieba Baidu included, made the Protoceratops the first image in the gallery... How cruel, at least we put the Mosasaurus on top  O:-)

Bread

Quote from: SidB on November 16, 2021, 11:24:38 PM
If it's a small figure (As protoceratops should be) I'll buy it! Not as bad as people are saying.
This figure actually looks to be quite large. No way is it in 1/35 scale.

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Bread on November 17, 2021, 12:01:14 AM
Quote from: SidB on November 16, 2021, 11:24:38 PM
This figure actually looks to be quite large. No way is it in 1/35 scale.

I think it would be better to match the feathered Velociraptor's scale.

Dinoxels

Quote from: MLMjp on November 16, 2021, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on November 16, 2021, 10:00:31 PM
OSTEODERMS
It doesn't...
Where are you seen those osteoderms? All I see are scales and wrinkles on it´s skin...

If you are talking about that thing on its back, its a fin.
No it does I saw a higher quality image somewhere it has the skin of their flipping Triceratops. Here it is:
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

Yeah, those do look like osteoderms, sadly. Leave it to Papo to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Maybe they're barnacles? Unpainted barnacles...

Over9K

Protoceratops gave me a wicked flashback to V the miniseries. I saw it and was like "the lizards should have had their own dog..."

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Carnoking on November 17, 2021, 01:15:27 AM
Maybe they're barnacles? Unpainted barnacles...
Exactly how I like to view it

Pachyrhinosaurus

Interesting that they've repainted the styracosaurus to look more like the Sideshow model it's based on.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: