News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World by Mattel; Hopes and Dreams

Started by GojiraGuy1954, December 21, 2021, 11:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Never seen a hopes and dreams thread for Mattel before, so I decided to create one here. Please notify me if this thread is a duplicate in any way.

With Jurassic World: Dominion coming in about half a year, we should expect to see a surge in the amount of new figure releases to coincide with the movie. Here are a few genera that I think would make good additions to this rapidly-expanding line of figures.

Wild Pack:
Coelophysis bauri - We need more Triassic representation in figure form. With its appearance in JWE2, and a certain Early Triassic animal showing up in Dominion, I'm hopeful that Mattel will consider more of these elusive but fascinating creatures for the Jurassic line.

Udanoceratops tschizhovi - A personal favourite of mine, which I never really see anybody talk about. Picture it being about the same size as 2021's nice-looking Zuniceratops. We do need more Ceratopsians from Mattel at this point. A Leptoceratops would be nice, too.

Dryosaurus altus - Honestly shocked that one of these hasn't been made yet. Would make a nice addition to the line, as we don't have many small Ornithopods at the moment.

Stegoceras validum - A small ornithischian that I think would be interesting. I find it funny how the Jurassic line actually only has one Pachycephalosaur genus, Pachycephalosaurus, as Stygimoloch and Dracorex are invalid. Stygimoloch may very well be a different species of Pachycephalosaurus, however, which may or may not affect the count depending on how you look at it.

Stegouros elengassen - Another "Stego-" dinosaur on the list. May not sell very well due to the vast majority of the public not knowing anything about it (naturally, as it is a very recent discovery), but I think that its overall build and shape would fit very well in Mattel's sculpting style for the line.

Juvenile Triceratops horridus - Always want to see more baby dinosaurs in the line. I am a fan of Mattel's Baby Brachiosaurus and find it to be a very cute sculpt.

Dsungaripterus weii - The creature variety of the Jurassic line would always benefit from Pterosaurs. This one in particular was also recently added to Jurassic World Evolution 2.

Nyctosaurus gracilis - Same reason for inclusion as above. Also a big fan of the strange and gigantic head crest which this genus possesses.

Metriorhynchus brevirostris - Man, this line needs more aquatic animals. So far we only have two unique sculpts, three if you count the upcoming Liopleurodon. Also begins to highlight the astounding variety of Crocodile relatives in the Mesozoic.

Camp Cretaceous Spoilers Below

Spoiler
BRAD - Didn't think I would be a fan when I first saw the images of these guys, but man were they cool in the show itself. They were very well-animated and moved organically. Could maybe have an articulated jaw with that gas launcher exposed, but maybe i'm asking for too much at this point.

Spinoceratops - Again, another concept that I didn't think i'd be able to get behind. But these might be some of my favourite hybrids in the series, as they actually display unique and special abilities, unlike the Indoraptor. I also like their designs, aside from the holes in their frills that come with the Sinoceratops part of their genetic makeup.

Smilodon populator - Mammals? Yes, please. I wish for the unique and amazing fauna of the Cenozoic to become more mainstream in the public eye, even if the roster is limited to Smilodon for now. Again, I loved him this creature was animated in the show. I would have applied a more interesting pattern, made it bulkier and given it more screen-time, though.
[close]

Jurassic World: Dominion Spoilers Below

Spoiler
Lystrosaurus murrayi - I love Dicynodonts. They're a perfect combination of ugly and cute, and i'm so glad that they are now finally being included in the Jurassic Park series. It's a long time coming.

Atrociraptor marshalli - Practically guaranteed as these guys seem to be the main villain dinosaurs of the movie. I hope they get the colourations right, unlike Charlie, Delta, and Echo.

Pyroraptor olympius - Never seen Mattel do feathers to this extent. I hope they don't mess up the sculpt.

Oviraptor philoceratops - Since this creature may not appear in the movie, I hope it gets a figure anyways. I loved the design and colours in the prologue and would like to see more of it within Dominion itself.
[close]

Fierce Force:
Gallimimus bullatus (Brown) - I definitely want to pick up a Mattel Gallimimus, but I am not a fan of the colours of the current Fierce Force one. One with the colours of the blue Gallimimus that came out alongside Troodon would be nice, too.

Inostrancevia alexandri - More Permian representation.

Scutosaurus karpinskii (Repaint) - I think most of us here missed the original release, and would like to see a new release or a repaint to add to our collections.

Smok wawelski - Another Rauisuchian for the line. Or theropod. Whatever.

Nothosaurus mirabilis - An interesting semi-aquatic animal for the line with many different adaptations that could warrant an action feature.

Edmontonia longiceps - More nodosaurs are always fun. Edmontonia also has a very strange and interesting armour layout.

Varanus priscus

Ophthalmosaurus icenicus

Camp Cretaceous Spoilers Below

Spoiler
BRAD X - While I didn't like this guys nearly as much as the original BRADs, I think they were still a cool addition to the show's canon. Just make it quadrupedal, please. They look stupid standing up.
[close]

Jurassic World: Dominion Spoilers Below

Spoiler
Atrociraptor marshalli - No way we aren't getting this figure as a Fierce Force. If not for Dominion, then eventually, down the line.
[close]

Roar Attack:
Neovenator salerii - European representation in the line

Teratophoneus curriei - A living version of that corpse from JWFK

Peloroplites cedrimontanus - Another reference to Fallen Kingdom, this time a living version of that skeleton that was cut from the movie

Euoplocephalus tutus

Corythosaurus casuarius - One of the last canon dinosaurs to not have any figure representation in the Mattel line

Iguanodon bernissartensis

Argentavis magnificens

Globidens alabamaensis

Cymbospondylus piscosus

Ichthyosaurus breviceps

Archelon ischyros

Xiphactinus audax

Will continue to expand this thread over time.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

There were two, but I agree that it has been a few years, and there's no harm in making a new one for 2022 I think. The first one was made in 2018 by avatar_Cretaceous Crab @Cretaceous Crab and the second one was made by avatar_Takama @Takama in late 2019.

Here's the links to the original threads for the curious:

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6832.msg202653#msg202653
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8189.msg239303#msg239303

I think it is interesting how many I, and others, have wanted over the years have actually been made so far (including some of those as of yet revealed 2022 figures that have listings that have already started showing up). I also really like your suggestions. Some of which have crossed over with my older ones, such as Coelophysis, etc.

I think the ones I want the most at this point include (other then the ones you've listed):

-Acrocanthosaurus (one of my favorite theropods that they shockingly haven't made a figure of. Just hoping it isn't based on the JWE one, unless they fix the head)
-Edit: Forgot to add the FK Kenner "Demon" inspired Carnotaurus to the list here too. (August 2022 Edit: Got this in the Dominion Owen Escape pack, although on the small side)
-Corythosaurus (the last of the pre-CC and Dominion genera, aside from Mamenchisaurus)
-Ichthyosaurus (one of the more iconic marine reptiles and would go well alongside the Plesiosaurus)
-JPIII's male and female raptors (Edit August 2022: Female is confirmed for the 2022 Legacy Collection. Male might be coming in 2023's Hammond Collection, but either way one of them is confirmed for next year. Need to wait and see)
-a larger Triceratops in the same size range as the new Pentaceratops
-Yutyrannus (another one of my favorite theropods, and with feathered animals coming to Dominion, I am curious to see their take on it, so long as they can actually give it feathers)

Any of the other JPOG/JWE/JWE2 genera that don't have figures yet would be nice to see in the line at some point.

As far as Dominion goes:
Spoiler
-Iguanodon (August 2022 Edit: kind of want to see this one remade in the HC with accurate digits, but it does technically exist for now so I'm crossing it off)
-Lystrosaurus (August 2022 Edit: Coming soon in the Dominion Maisie pack)
-Moros (August 2022 Edit: Technically exists, including Dominion's Wave 3 figure with the film coloration, but the sculpt is not film accurate. Unless we get one in the HC later on, I'm crossing it off for now)
-Parasaurolophus (the new design. August 2022 Edit: Exists in the Dominion toyline but small, and doesn't really do the design justice. Hopefully a HC collection version of the blue striped one gets made some day. Crossing it off as it technically exists)
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Some good picks here already, I'm gonna steal some and add my own. I won't mention Dominions animals because I feel confident that we'll get them all.

Acrocanthosaurus: it doesn't have to look like the one from JW:E but please use one of the color schemes from it.
Triceratops: in a larger scale, of course. They can even make a colossal one if they want.  :P
Baby Triceratops: like the one in the JP concept art and featured in TLW:JP.
Coelophysis: Kenner had a pair of them, it would be cool if Mattel also packaged them as a pair.
Dryosaurus: one of my favorites from JW:E.
Homalocephale: another favorite from JW:E.
Cearadactylus: it's in the book, it's in the new game, lets get a toy of it.
Chasmosaurus: there's a Kenner one, and it's in the game. I love Mattel's ceratopsians.
Mamenchisaurus: seem unlikely, but I would love more large sauropods from Mattel.
Gigantspinosaurus: this would be a fun toy, and it's in JW:E.
Elasmosaurus: make it BIG. I'm not interested in the Plesiosaurus because of its small size, I want a plesiosaur the size of the Mosasaurus.  8)

Re-paints. Mostly for toys I missed out on the first time around.
Edmontosaurus
Scutosaurus
Amargasaurus
Quetzalcoatlus
Carnosaurus
(Kenner inspired)
Tyrannosaurus (Kenner Red Rex inspired)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on December 22, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
There were two, but I agree that it has been a few years, and there's no harm in making a new one for 2022 I think. The first one was made in 2018 by avatar_Cretaceous Crab @Cretaceous Crab and the second one was made by avatar_Takama @Takama in late 2019.

Here's the links to the original threads for the curious:

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6832.msg202653#msg202653
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8189.msg239303#msg239303

I think it is interesting how many I, and others, have wanted over the years have actually been made so far (including some of those as of yet revealed 2022 figures that have listings that have already started showing up). I also really like your suggestions. Some of which have crossed over with my older ones, such as Coelophysis, etc.

I think the ones I want the most at this point include (other then the ones you've listed):

-Acrocanthosaurus (one of my favorite theropods that they shockingly haven't made a figure of. Just hoping it isn't based on the JWE one, unless they fix the head)
-Edit: Forgot to add the FK Kenner "Demon" inspired Carnotaurus to the list here too.
-Corythosaurus (the last of the pre-CC and Dominion genera, aside from Mamenchisaurus)
-Ichthyosaurus (one of the more iconic marine reptiles and would go well alongside the Plesiosaurus)
-JPIII's male and female raptors
-a larger Triceratops in the same size range as the new Pentaceratops
-Yutyrannus (another one of my favorite theropods, and with feathered animals coming to Dominion, I am curious to see their take on it, so long as they can actually give it feathers)

Any of the other JPOG/JWE/JWE2 genera that don't have figures yet would be nice to see in the line at some point.

As far as Dominion goes:
Spoiler
-Iguanodon
-Lystrosaurus
-Moros
-Parasaurolophus (the new design)
[close]

100% going to add acro to the list. But definitely not right now since a wild pack acro would be bizarre lol
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 22, 2021, 12:59:47 AM
Some good picks here already, I'm gonna steal some and add my own. I won't mention Dominions animals because I feel confident that we'll get them all.

Acrocanthosaurus: it doesn't have to look like the one from JW:E but please use one of the color schemes from it.
Triceratops: in a larger scale, of course. They can even make a colossal one if they want.  :P
Coelophysis: Kenner had a pair of them, it would be cool if Mattel also packaged them as a pair.
Chasmosaurus: there's a Kenner one, and it's in the game. I love Mattel's ceratopsians.
Mamenchisaurus: seem unlikely, but I would love more large sauropods from Mattel.
Elasmosaurus: make it BIG. I'm not interested in the Plesiosaurus because of its small size, I want a plesiosaur the size of the Mosasaurus.  8)

Edmontosaurus
Scutosaurus
Amargasaurus
Quetzalcoatlus
Carnosaurus
(Kenner inspired)

I agree with the entire list you have there, add the Gasosaurus in the repaints area too though.   I know we are going to get a few Pyroraptor figures but a Colossal one would be awesome.

Lynx

This thread has been inactive for a good while, and nobody has made a 2023 hopes and dreams thread so..

Here's what I'd like for 2023!

- Film accurate 'Trashing' Spinosaurus toy, comes with the ability to use the tail to control where the upper torso and head goes, like the Giganotosaurus and T-rex have

- New sculpt of the 'crouching' velociraptor (current one looks pretty awkward), less in a crawling position and more in a "about to pounce" position. Basically just a slightly higher up version of the current one.

- Therizinosaurus pack with Claire and a small plastic deer

- Dakotaraptor (like the one in JWA)

- Therizinosaurus 2nd paint variant (giga works too, one or the other)

- Mainline JP III male and female raptors

- Doe from JP The Lost World (not sure if there's one already or not??)

- Karposuchus
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx The female JPIII raptor is getting a Legacy release later this year, and there's also a HC one coming out next year. Hopefully it's the male.

Kaprosuchus is another good pick. One I've been wanting a while too. Would fit in nicely with their Postosuchus and Sarcosuchus as well.

Gwangi

Quote from: Gwangi on December 22, 2021, 12:59:47 AMSome good picks here already, I'm gonna steal some and add my own. I won't mention Dominions animals because I feel confident that we'll get them all.

Edmontosaurus
Scutosaurus
Amargasaurus
Quetzalcoatlus
Carnosaurus
(Kenner inspired)

That was my list from last year, and I crossed off those that have been announced. I still want those that remain on the list but I find myself growing weary of Mattel's mainline. It is hard to make a wish list when you don't know how badly Mattel might botch your chosen species. For example, I like the concept of a Mattel Coelophysis but it would probably look like crap or differ too greatly from the actual animal. If they used Jurassic World: Evolution as inspiration I wouldn't mind seeing most of the animals from it.

I do like the Hammond Collection though, and would like to see the following...

Lost World Stegosaurus
Lost World Velociraptor
Bull T. rex
Dr. Wu (JP)
Gennaro
Carnotaurus
Allosaurus
Sinoceratops
Nasutoceratops
Stygimoloch
Moros
Pyroraptor

Also, Mattel should probably consider some playsets at some point. The Visitor Center, JP gate, Lost World trailers, Biosyn Valley. I'm not sure that I would buy any of them (aside from a gate) but I would like to see them do it anyway.

Lynx

I would ABSOLUTELY buy a visitor center or biosyn valley structure.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thats great news! 
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

I went and edited my old post to cross off what has been made (or soon to release), after seeing avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi do that.

Here's some that I still would like to see made that haven't been yet:

-Acrocanthosaurus
-Corythosaurus (released in 2023's Hammond Collection)
-Ichthyosaurus
-JPIII Ankylosaurus (released in 2023's Hammond Collection)
-JPIII male raptor (released in 2023's Hammond Collection, and Epic Attack)
-Kaprosuchus (leaked for 2024)
-Oviraptor
-Triceratops (2021 Pentaceratops sized; released in 2023's Dino Trackers, and bigger too)
-Yutyrannus

And some others I'd like recently (if not previously, such as the thread I linked below):

-Archaeopteryx
-Estemmenosuchus
-Megalosaurus
-Moschops
-Hammond Collection Giganotosaurus (needs new head sculpt)
-Hammond Collection Nasutoceratops
-Hammond Collection Parasaurolophus (Dominion's blue striped one with new head sculpt)
-Hammond Collection Pyroraptor (with accurate arms/wings, coloration, and head sculpt)
-Hammond Collection Spinosaurus
-Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus (TLW buck; revealed as stretch goal of unfunded 2023 Mattel Creations crowdfund, therefore canceled?)
-more film accurate Iguanodon, Moros, and we need Microceratus too

It's also interesting looking back at my wishlist of sorts here originally posted in September 2019, and seeing what has already been made since, or is coming next year. Those being the:
Spoiler
-Apatosaurus (released in 2021's Legacy Collection)
-Borealopelta (released in 2023's Dino Trackers)
-Carcharodontosaurus (released in 2021's Dino Escape; based on the JWE design)
-Carnotaurus (the black and red Kenner Demon like one in Fallen Kingdom and Dominion; released in 2022's Dominion line, though on the small side)
-Corythosaurus (released in 2023's Hammond Collection)
-Diabloceratops (released in 2023's Dino Trackers)
-Elasmosaurus (released in 2023's Dino Trackers
-Giganotosaurus (released in 2022's Dominion; in Dominion)
-Gigantspinosaurus (released in 2023's Dino Trackers)
-Iguanodon (released in 2022's Dominion; in Dominion; need a more film accurate one though)
-JP Velociraptor (released in 2020's Legacy Collection Escape from Isla Nublar Set; released in 2022's Legacy Collection Kitchen Encounter Pack & 2022's Hammond Collection)
-JPIII Ankylosaurus (released in 2023's Hammond Collection)
-JPIII quilled/male Velociraptor (released in 2023's Hammond Collection and Epic Attack)
-JW (Savage Strike) Echo (released in 2020's Camp Cretaceous; colors based on CC design)
-Kaprosuchus (leaked/releasing in 2024)
-Kentrosaurus (released in 2021's Dino Escape; part of CC S4)
-Kronosaurus (released in 2023's Dino Trackers)
-Liopleurodon (released in 2022's Dominion)
-Mamenchisaurus (released in 2023's Legacy Collection)
-Ouranosaurus (released in 2021's Dino Escape; part of CC S3)
-Pentaceratops (released in 2021's Dino Escape; is similar to the JWE design)
-Regaliceratops (released in 2023's Dino Trackers)
-Tanystropheus (released in 2021's Dino Escape)
-Therizinosaurus (released in 2022's Dominion; in Dominion)
[close]

Edit 7/17/23: Crossed out ones that have since gotten figures, and added some notes. Added some to the above list of things since released.

Halichoeres

Most of the time my hopes and dreams for Mattel are: "I hope and dream some other company makes [genus that only Mattel is making] very soon so I don't feel compelled to buy the Mattel one." But I would contentedly buy a Cearadactylus or a Moschops.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.