You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

no more dinosaur documentary series?

Started by dyno77, December 22, 2021, 09:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

i already mentioned this a while back but after looking at clips of walking with dinosaurs ,i could not believe how little it has aged in over 20yrs ...it still looks great while so many others that came after in the mid 2000s  and after look dated..
what i dont get is why they couldn't get update walking with dinosaurs. It should be far easier to make something like that now than ever before and if it isn't then there clearly something wrong....but thats my view...
The fact that there is no new major documentary series about dinosaurs anytime soon really sucks and thats the only way i can put it....These single features that they put out with little to no announcement are all fine and well and i am aware of the other prehistoric series that focus on certain places ...they also are fine features ..
This leaves online mostly yb because them other online channels simply arent worth looking at in my view...

GojiraGuy1954

There will be.
One by Jon Favreau, BBC and Apple was announced in like 2018. I've heard from people who have seen it (trustworthy people, by the way. not the type to lie. respected members of the community.) and all that they've said is positive.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Every dinosaur documentary to come out since the start of the 2010's bar a mere two exceptions has been either awful, not at all researched nonsense, or just talking heads with occasional snippets of CGI. No story, no fun, no speculative behaviours or interactions. Nothing to make them memorable or keep them relevant after the generic information they read off of Wikipedia in 2012 became rapidly outdated.

Programs like the Walking With franchise, Dinosaur Planet*, and When Dinosaurs Roamed America will always remain relevant. Not because the research or science presented was inherently correct or ahead of its time, but because they were interesting and entertaining stories. Walking With Dinosaurs has bald raptors, wrinkly headed Tyrannosaurus, giant Liopleurodon, a spider that wasn't actually a spider, and yet the speculative elements it included like behaviours and the ways the animals interacted with each other will always be relevant and interesting takes, not the most generic safe information or over-hyped "battle features" to use in trailer bait fight scenes. And the stories it presents will always be worthwhile entertainment on their own, completely aside from any educational value. Same for the other two examples.

*Not to be confused with Planet Dinosaur, which is another example of generic CGI clips with voiceover and nothing to set it apart or make it interesting. It also had a lot of inaccuracies (for its time), such as underfeathered raptors, or putting Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Ouranosaurus and Sarcosuchus all together (Spinosaurus did not live with Sarcosuchus or Ouranosaurus) to get their beloved fight scenes. It's frankly not very good.

What do Jurassic Fight Club or Planet Dinosaur offer in the face of examples like these? JFC has an hour or so of some guy talking and bashing his hands together in mock fight scenes, and two minutes of JP-esque CGI raptors fighting stuff. And Planet Dinosaur has marginally better CGI with more filler scenes of dinosaurs acting out the safest, most generic and predictable behaviours possible. No story, no interesting speculative ideas, just fight scenes and bad filler in between. You might as well watch a Jurassic World movie because the science is just about as dated anyway and those have better writing.

Dinosaur Revolution and Dinosaur Superworld are the two single exceptions (Dinotasia is a condensed edit of Dinosaur Revolution). Both of these, Dinosaur Superworld in particular, have their share of accuracy problems, but they overcome them by being interesting stories, and will always be relevant pieces of media both for their speculative takes, and entertaining stories.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 22, 2021, 10:03:55 PM
Every dinosaur documentary to come out since the start of the 2010's bar a mere two exceptions has been either awful, not at all researched nonsense, or just talking heads with occasional snippets of CGI. No story, no fun, no speculative behaviours or interactions. Nothing to make them memorable or keep them relevant after the generic information they read off of Wikipedia in 2012 became rapidly outdated.

Programs like the Walking With franchise, Dinosaur Planet*, and When Dinosaurs Roamed America will always remain relevant. Not because the research or science presented was inherently correct or ahead of its time, but because they were interesting and entertaining stories. Walking With Dinosaurs has bald raptors, wrinkly headed Tyrannosaurus, giant Liopleurodon, a spider that wasn't actually a spider, and yet the speculative elements it included like behaviours and the ways the animals interacted with each other will always be relevant and interesting takes, not the most generic safe information or over-hyped "battle features" to use in trailer bait fight scenes. And the stories it presents will always be worthwhile entertainment on their own, completely aside from any educational value. Same for the other two examples.

*Not to be confused with Planet Dinosaur, which is another example of generic CGI clips with voiceover and nothing to set it apart or make it interesting. It also had a lot of inaccuracies (for its time), such as underfeathered raptors, or putting Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Ouranosaurus and Sarcosuchus all together (Spinosaurus did not live with Sarcosuchus or Ouranosaurus) to get their beloved fight scenes. It's frankly not very good.

What do Jurassic Fight Club or Planet Dinosaur offer in the face of examples like these? JFC has an hour or so of some guy talking and bashing his hands together in mock fight scenes, and two minutes of JP-esque CGI raptors fighting stuff. And Planet Dinosaur has marginally better CGI with more filler scenes of dinosaurs acting out the safest, most generic and predictable behaviours possible. No story, no interesting speculative ideas, just fight scenes and bad filler in between. You might as well watch a Jurassic World movie because the science is just about as dated anyway and those have better writing.

Dinosaur Revolution and Dinosaur Superworld are the two single exceptions (Dinotasia is a condensed edit of Dinosaur Revolution). Both of these, Dinosaur Superworld in particular, have their share of accuracy problems, but they overcome them by being interesting stories, and will always be relevant pieces of media both for their speculative takes, and entertaining stories.

Idk Dinosaur Revolution kinda sucks too

Takama

No mention of the cropolites that is Dino Hunters?

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 22, 2021, 10:07:20 PMIdk Dinosaur Revolution kinda sucks too
I certainly wouldn't put it on the same level as Walking With or Dinosaur Planet, but it's far from the rest of the terrible slog we've had since. I would place it around WDRA, with Superworld somewhere in between for much more interesting visuals and storytelling but less focus on accuracy.

Quote from: Takama on December 22, 2021, 10:45:28 PMNo mention of the cropolites that is Dino Hunters?
There are dozens of other trashy low budget Discovery Channel things that aren't worth remembering the names of.

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 22, 2021, 09:10:21 PM
There will be.
One by Jon Favreau, BBC and Apple was announced in like 2018. I've heard from people who have seen it (trustworthy people, by the way. not the type to lie. respected members of the community.) and all that they've said is positive.
Yeah Prehistoric Planet I heard about this one I was afraid they scrapped it but definitely glad that's not the cause. I wonder when it's getting released though.

GojiraGuy1954

There's also Forgotten Bloodlines: Agate by Digital Duck

Faelrin

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Funny I was coming here to suggest that very one. Caught wind of it through a JWE mod page incidentally. I'm very much looking forward to it. Loved WWB after all, which is like the only Cenozoic documentary I can think of with pre-Pleistocene stuff in it. I wonder how it has been coming along since it's been a year now I think since I found out about it.

It really is a shame there aren't many others in the works after all this time though. World could do with another WWD of sorts, although the original trilogy will always be timeless.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

GojiraGuy1954

Gwangi

That's exciting news, I had heard that Jon Favreau was working on a dinosaur series. He's definitely a competent filmmaker so I have faith that he can pull it off. If it's due out in May then I would expect a trailer soon.

Carnoking

Man, if they can lend some of that CGI prowess we've seen from his latest Disney outings to accurate dinosaur depictions then this will be something to look forward to.

Fembrogon

It's good to see a confirmation that this series is still happening. I wish they could have given it a less generic title, though.

Dinoxels

Finally! I believe this series was announced eons ago.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Carnoking

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Such a shame its on Apple TV.looks like it cold be good. The Oviraptorsaur looks decent, and the Nanuqsaurus. And David Attenborough narrating.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

ceratopsian

Stegotyranno420

I am more interested and curious about the effect of the show on popular media, if any. I cannot wait to watch it. It looks so realistic .

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on April 01, 2022, 10:58:00 PM
Such a shame its on Apple TV.looks like it cold be good. The Oviraptorsaur looks decent, and the Nanuqsaurus. And David Attenborough narrating.
Im glad to see a Nanuqsaurus that isnt white

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: