News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. Softmodels

Started by Bokisaurus, July 28, 2012, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

:)Kinto Co. Ltd., Japanese company, is perhaps more known for producing exquisite line of high quality resin desktop prehistoric models than toy figures. However, the company did release a line of "soft" vinyl figures.
Released under the collection name of Favorite (they could have picked something more interesting), the 14 figures that comprise the line are worth acquiring and adding to any collection of prehistoric animals. Despite being labeled as "soft", the material is made out of your standard plastic (more like Safari than Bullyland).
I'm not sure when the line was originally first released, but it entered the US market sometime around 2006 -07 (?) if I remember correctly. The line was never really widely available even during that time. The only place one can purchase them was from web store or specialty shops like museum stores. After briefly flirting with the US toy market, the company stopped future addition to the line (there was a rumor and even a list of future release that briefly circulated that included and amargasaurus).
There were fourteen figures in all released, all pretty much the standard species that all other toy companies produce for their line, which was disappointing. The figures vary in scale, but most are around the 1:80. They were packaged in blister packs, and some, like the Pteranodona nd Plesiosaur came with a hook on their back so you can suspend them above a diorama display. The diorama displays were sold separately. I only have the rocky shore (for the pterosaur and plesio), but I believe there may have been two other larger ones for the dinosaurs. The prices varied, but were around the range of $12 - $25 dollars, so they are not cheap toys.
True to their standards, the figures are well sculpted, rich in details, and are highly accurate. Of the fourteen species that comprise the line, two are sauropods (Apatosaurus and Brachiosarus), one marine reptile (plesiosaurs), one pterosaur (pteranodon), one stegosaur, two ceratopsians (Triceratops and styracosaurus), one ankylosaur, one hadrosaur (parasaurolophus), one pachycephalosaurus, and four theropods ( T-Rex, feathered Deinonychus, allosaurus, and Spinosaurus).
The majority of the figures had no special color variants, but some, like the Triceratops and T-Rex had a few (brown, green, blue, and the special black version) different color morphs available. Of the fourteen, the spinosaur was the last and latest addition to the line, release only two years ago. Sporting a "bright", almost neon yellow, it is also the most unnaturally painted of the group.
Kinto has mostly withdrawn from the toy figure market, but they continue to produce high quality resin desktop models (mostly available overseas).  But as with the surprise spinosaur, who knows, they may just release one more dinosaur in their Favorite line...
[

Blue T-Rex

Enjoy! ;D

2013 figures
These figures are from the Set B of the series, pretty standard species, nothing uniques. Sculpted by Kazunari Araki

Exclusive figures from the Osaka Museum of Natural History in Japan. You can only buy these two figures in the museum... or ebay  :)
Figures sculpted by Hirokazu Tokugawa

Tarbosaurus and Saurolophus

Gwangi

I love this line and I need to work on getting more of them (I only have the Ankylosaurus and Spinosaurus). Thanks for the information, I didn't know Kinto had ceased making more. Looks like I better get them while I can but like you said, they aren't cheap.

amargasaurus cazaui

Wow, that Brachiosaur looks identical to the desktop model, I have , pictured. The plastic is different in the two pieces  then?

[attachment msg=14984][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

:)  Nice! This collection deserves a thread of its own.
May I adjust some things?

- There is no Kinto anymore. The company's name is Favorite. All of their products are called 'the Favorite Collection'.

- The series we are talking about here is the Soft Model series. There is indeed a Vinyl Model series, but those are bigger and made for smaller children.

- Most of the models in the Soft Model series are in the 1:50 scale, only the two sauropods are 1:80. You better get the Brachiosaurus & Apatosaurus as Desktop Models, they're also in 1:50  ( ... although it looks as if the Apato is out of production).
The Deinonychus is about 1:20. If you're a scale nerd (as I am) you can also find it in 1:50 in the Metal Model series ;D.

Bokisaurus

Thanks for the correction and additional info, that's really helpful. I love the line, wish there were more of them ;D

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like the Kinto/Favorite sculpts, but haven't bought any yet as there are not many in stores around here.
Also, if I may ask, What is the difference between Favorite and Dinostoreus? Some of their models look identical.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 05, 2012, 01:56:10 PM
I like the Kinto/Favorite sculpts, but haven't bought any yet as there are not many in stores around here.
Also, if I may ask, What is the difference between Favorite and Dinostoreus? Some of their models look identical.
I thought all the models WERE Favorite Ltd, and DinostoreUS was just the name of a store that people accidentally starting using because they were the only place that sold those models :X

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 05, 2012, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 05, 2012, 01:56:10 PM
I thought all the models WERE Favorite Ltd, and DinostoreUS was just the name of a store that people accidentally starting using because they were the only place that sold those models :X
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I always thought they were different companies or different divisions or distributors of the same company.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Bokisaurus

>:D They do that just to make it more confusing to us ;)

Jetoar

I like Kinto vinyl figures! ^-^. Their sauropods are very cool. I would like to buy plesiosaurus and allosaurus in the future :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stoneage

Fukuiraptor

I now regret selling this years ago  :-\

Takama

Its amazeing what you learn here that will make you regret the past

sauroid

favorite collection figures are one of the best. i only have the Pachycephalosaurus and hope to get all of the rest someday.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

H.Toku

Tarbosaurus Vinyl Figure of the official toy of the special exhibition
"The Gobi:Cradle of the most enchanting dinosaur fossils"  at Osaka Museum of Natural History.
I sculpted the original model of this toy.

The length is 25cm.
The material of commodity is PVC.
manufactured by favorite (Kinto)

About more information
http://a-fragi.blogspot.jp/2012/11/tarbosaurus.html

postsaurischian

Quote from: H.Toku on November 28, 2012, 07:02:56 AM

Tarbosaurus Vinyl Figure of the official toy of the special exhibition
"The Gobi:Cradle of the most enchanting dinosaur fossils"  at Osaka Museum of Natural History.
I sculpted the original model of this toy.

The length is 25cm.
The material of commodity is PVC.
manufactured by favorite (Kinto)

About more information
http://a-fragi.blogspot.jp/2012/11/tarbosaurus.html

:D  It's a WONDERFUL figure and I MUST have it :)!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

The original Favorite Deinonychus is a far superior model to the 2012 one, but the biggest flaw is its tendency to fall flat on its face. I've been searching for ages for the rarer, black and white version. I even emailed a Japanese seller on eBay, but either he did not understand my English, or was unwilling to sell his :/

And I know you can get it in a set with the other Kintosaurs, but I only wanted it by itself. Shame :-[

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM
The original Favorite Deinonychus is a far superior model to the 2012 one, .......

There's no 2012 Deinonychus. That is a Velociraptor ;).
I like it better than the old Deinonychus model.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 28, 2012, 01:43:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM
The original Favorite Deinonychus is a far superior model to the 2012 one, .......

There's no 2012 Deinonychus. That is a Velociraptor ;).
I like it better than the old Deinonychus model.

I am aware of what it looks like, you don't need to post a photo :)
And personally, I think that model is hideous. The sculpting, textures, and colours are all ugly to me *yuck*

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: