News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best allosaur figures?

Started by gfxtwin, August 05, 2013, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

There are quite a few great statues, but what are the best figures in terms of scientific accuracy, craftsmanship, artistry, etc?  Something with high marks in these categories is preferred.  To give some idea of my taste, these are my top 3:

But even these are not without flaws.  The top allosaur is almost perfect to me but is far too large and expensive for my liking. 

The favorite series 3 allosaur is quite nice and a smaller alternative, but is just so very...orange.  And I feel like it might benefit from having a more detailed scuplt.

The Papo allosaur is beautifully detailed.  The head and much of it's body are a sight to behold and it has been sculpted down to each individual scale.  But the legs are probably a bit too beefy and the arms too long and kangaroo-like.

Are there any alternatives?  Some shapeway models perhaps?

tyrantqueen

Don't forget Shane Foulkes' Allosaurus. Best Allosaurus if you prefer bigger scales.

I also like Galileo Hernandez's Allosaurus

And Charlie McGrady's

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Carnegie and CollectA's efforts were horrible. Lets hope we get an updated sculpt from them in future.

gfxtwin

Those are all stunning, but is there anything out there of that quality, only a bit more...plastic?  Something that won't shatter if dropped :p

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: gfxtwin on August 05, 2013, 03:29:24 PM
Those are all stunning, but is there anything out there of that quality, only a bit more...plastic?  Something that won't shatter if dropped :p

In terms of figures, I'm fond of the Wild Safari Allosaurus myself, it's what I hope for an updated Allosaurus when they redo the Carnegie one...just make it larger .  The first Favorite is nice as well...really a lot will come down to personal taste in the end. There is so much that can be done with a dinosaur sculpt after establishing the basics you know?  If you like the Papo you might like the new Jurassic Park Allosaurus figure.  Remember paint is also fixable. ;)

Gwangi

I was also going to mention the Wild Safari Allosaurus. I believe it is very accurate, the only issue I take with it is the color. Personally, my favorite is the Papo. It is mostly accurate with a lot of detail and at a reasonable price. I love that first one you posted (is it Kaiyodo?) but I cannot afford that one.

EDIT: All those models TQ posted are of course fantastic but completely out of my league.

Jetoar

From my point of view is one of the best Allosaurus figures  ^-^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCv0Hh60m1w
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Concavenator

Honestly,my favorite Allosaurus is the Shane Foukes Allosaurus,but it's too expensive for me.He's also very big,so I wouldn't leave so much space for companies' future releases.
But in the affordable ones my favorite is the Papo Allosaurus by far.It's accurate,very detailed and beautiful.
This is really the one I'd reccomend.
I lobe Carnegie and CollectA dinosaurs,but I think the Carnegie Allosaurus should get an improved and more accurate sculpt.After all,Allosaurus is one of the most important dinos in the Carnegie museum,right?
If Safari would make a one similar to their 2011 Carnotaurus,I'd buy it for sure.
I hope CollectA releases a Deluxe Allosaurus,it would be awesome.Look at their new Carcharodontosaurus and try to imagine a Deluxe Allosaurus(and they improve every year).

Harukin

It's hard to pick a favorite figure since allosaurus is my absolutely favorite dinosaur species and I like all my dinosaurs. But I dislike things with bases and the ones that cost too much.

I like this one a lot, among others: Schleich 2005

Jetoar

I have this Allosaurus, inspired in Raul Martin draw and it is one of the best also from my point of view  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Bokisaurus

Some from my collection  ;)
The older Favorite figure is a good one.
[]

Takama

From what i could tell, The New Favorite Soft Model looks outstanding.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Jetoar on August 05, 2013, 05:05:52 PM

Another good one, if a little hard to find / pricey sometimes. The skull shape is more typical of 90's Allosaurus reconstructions..with a very pointed snout. :)

Jetoar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 06, 2013, 03:39:21 AM

Another good one, if a little hard to find / pricey sometimes. The skull shape is more typical of 90's Allosaurus reconstructions..with a very pointed snout. :)

Yes, it is very hard to find this figure. My girldfirend gift to me this figure for my brth day the last year. This figure did not arrive to Spain in the past   :-\ as Bull T-Rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Jetoar on August 06, 2013, 10:49:55 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 06, 2013, 03:39:21 AM

Yes, it is very hard to find this figure. My girldfirend gift to me this figure for my brth day the last year. This figure did not arrive to Spain in the past   :-\ as Bull T-Rex.

Yeah some had a very limited release.  It's a great figure and playset..the dino-damage feature is very well done too. It's a really neat play feature with the lab and all.

Megalosaurus

Hi.
One of my firsts models was Schleich Allosaurus (Saurus line). I like it, even if the feet are a bigger than expected.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tyrantqueen

I think the Toyway WWD Allosaurus is better than Schleich's (arguably Schleich tried to copy the WWD design with their toy) It doesn't have gigantic clown feet for one thing. Although, Toyway's isn't perfect either, but pretty good considering its age.

I like the head on Schleich's Allosaurus (before they implemented that ugly articulated jaw) but I don't like the body.

The only bad thing is that Toyway's model has been discontinued (but can easily be found on eBay)

Compare the two:

Toyway's is nicer. The animal is in better proportion.

I'm not saying Schleich's version is terrible (it's not their worst figure) but it's not fantastic either.

Patrx

If you're  looking for a good Allosaurus, I think the Dinostoreus desktop model is still available pretty cheaply. It's rather old now - the hand posture is uncertain, the skull fenestrae are visible, and the tail musculature is weak - but it's a very elegant model and accurate for its time.

As far as plastic figures go, Kaiyodo, Takara, and Kinto/Favorite all have good Allosaurus figures out there. Takara's latest version even seems to have feathers, though the detailing is too soft to really appreciate them.

Pilkington

By far my favorite Allosaurus figure is the Dinosaur Studio's one sculpted by Dan LoRusso:

(Unfortunately not my picture because mine is currently sitting in a box waiting to be fixed after one of my lovely cats broke it)

As for more affordable plastic ones the Wild Safari is a great little figure and I love detail on the Papo.  Although I do also really like the old Lost World Allo, mostly for sentimental reasons. 
If you wanna be alone, come with me

tanystropheus

The new Jurassic Park Allosaurus is also a good model/toy, but it is obviously inspired by Papo.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Gwangi on August 05, 2013, 04:43:26 PM
I was also going to mention the Wild Safari Allosaurus. I believe it is very accurate, the only issue I take with it is the color. Personally, my favorite is the Papo. It is mostly accurate with a lot of detail and at a reasonable price. I love that first one you posted (is it Kaiyodo?) but I cannot afford that one.

EDIT: All those models TQ posted are of course fantastic but completely out of my league.

While the WS Allosaurus is accurate, it seems to have a peculiar 'retro' vibe to it, IMO. I hope Carnegie, or WS releases an updated Allosaurus in 2014 or 2015. Hopefully, it isn't lime-green  :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: