News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trexroarr

My goodness, can for once everyone not chew out a new release for inaccuracies and just appreciate it for what it is?! This happens literally every single time. I swear it is all I see on this forum nowadays and it's the main reason as to why I haven't been so active here anymore. Remember what happened with Mojo leaving and then Dan leaving (but then coming back)? No one here wants Rebor to leave too I'm sure, right? It looks to me like a fantastic piece and I for sure will be picking it up as I did with their other releases.

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

Gwangi

This thing is downright ugly and the worst model from REBOR thus far. The feet, hands, head and even the feathering are all off putting. This looks like something you would get from GeoWorld but with the quality of Papo. And at the price they're going to ask for it? Forget it, you really are paying for the detail work here, nothing else about this is worth what I know it will cost.

I'm sick to death of seeing "lizard in chicken costume" style feathered dinosaurs. Why is it so hard for the people that produce these things to realize that if it has feathers, it looked like a bird!

I guess I've been spoiled by artists like Emily Willoughby and John Conway who truly capture what these animals probably looked like. Dromaeosaurs were stem-birds. Forget that they're related to Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Triceratops...they're closest relatives extinct or extant were birds. Dromaeosaurs are literally more closely related to birds than they are to ANY other dinosaur. They had teeth, and clawed hands and a long tail but if you saw one walking around, you would consider it a bird.

This, this is how you feather a Dromaeosaur.

Patrx

Excellent post, Gwangi! I agree entirely. It's a super-detailed GeoWorld monster.
It's frustrating how few people want to understand how birdlike dromaeosaurs were. Even more frustrating is that there are nearly zero figures or models that even begin to approach the kinds of reconstructions we should be seeing by this point; reconstructions like the one you've posted.

tyrantqueen

I can see a resemblance to the legs and tail area of the Safari Ltd. velociraptor. Maybe it's a coincidence.

Gwangi

I think that must be a coincidence. There are only so many ways to recreate a Dromaeosaur mid-stride and if they're actually paying attention to the science then REBOR should know that Dromaeosaurs had a stiff tail, not a wavy/bendy lizard tail. I actually prefer the naked WS model. At least the musculature looks nice! Just wish it had come out in 1993 and not 2008!

DinoLord

Quote from: Trexroarr on January 13, 2015, 10:58:01 PMRemember what happened with Mojo leaving and then Dan leaving (but then coming back)? No one here wants Rebor to leave too I'm sure, right?

To be fair I don't think they really care about receiving feedback on their figures - every post of theirs has been straight up marketing.

postsaurischian

To be honest - I am weary of the constantly repeating indoctrination ::).
Do you guys really think we're all too stupid to understand the feather issue? Don't you think we ALL know it by now?
The figures nowadays are much better than they were a decade ago, when only the Japanese dared to produce feathered theropods.
Tyrantqueen is right when she says that we will surely see more accurate ones in the future. It just doesn't happen in one day.
But there will always be the inaccurate ones. Like them or not! As I said before, to me craftsmanship is probably the most important factor of a sculpt. The more accurate the better.

I can't believe we still have that feather struggling just as we did when I joined about 5 years ago.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 13, 2015, 11:17:25 PM
I can see a resemblance to the legs and tail area of the Safari Ltd. velociraptor. Maybe it's a coincidence.

You can see these legs and tail positionings in about 14.500 dromaeosaurid illustrations.
Is it something personal that you're holding against REBOR?

tyrantqueen

QuoteIs it something personal that you're holding against REBOR?
Not really. I've done it before, for figures that weren't Rebor.

DinoLord

Helge I agree the whole feather debate thing can get tiring after a while. I really wish Rebor would choose to sculpt known scaly dinosaurs like various hadrosaurs (which would fit their style very well) instead of opting for the feathered ones, which they just can't seem to get right (for now at least). If Rebor sculpted say a Carnotaurus or Olorotitan I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoLord on January 13, 2015, 11:38:42 PM
Helge I agree the whole feather debate thing can get tiring after a while. I really wish Rebor would choose to sculpt known scaly dinosaurs like various hadrosaurs (which would fit their style very well) instead of opting for the feathered ones, which they just can't seem to get right (for now at least). If Rebor sculpted say a Carnotaurus or Olorotitan I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Ceratosaurus from them, or an ankylosaur too. I bet they could have a lot of fun with an ankylosaur.

DinoLord

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2015, 11:42:41 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Ceratosaurus from them, or an ankylosaur too. I bet they could have a lot of fun with an ankylosaur.

Good thinking - a Ceratosaurus from them would probably be pretty awesome with plenty of pointy bits. There are definitely numerous certain types of dinosaurs that fit the 'awesomebro' style they seem to be going with - here's hoping they choose to sculpt a few.

Manatee

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2015, 11:42:41 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on January 13, 2015, 11:38:42 PM

This. I would love seeing REBOR make a Saichania, Ceratosaurus, or Sauropelta. And this is wishful thinking, but they could make a good Tuojiangosaurus.
I am getting tired of the feather debate as well, but I can't ever not pitch in when it happens. I just wish it would come up less. People just can't unsee the Jurassic Park raptors, and that's the issue with the creation of dromaeosaur figures. They looked like (or even were, under some people's definitions of the term) birds, NOT LIZARDS!

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 13, 2015, 11:29:20 PM
To be honest - I am weary of the constantly repeating indoctrination ::).

Me too, but I've chipped in how I've felt about every other model set to be released this year and I don't feel like I should have to hold back on this one.

QuoteDo you guys really think we're all too stupid to understand the feather issue? Don't you think we ALL know it by now?

No, not all of you. Maybe some. There are a lot of members here, new and old.

QuoteThe figures nowadays are much better than they were a decade ago, when only the Japanese dared to produce feathered theropods.
Tyrantqueen is right when she says that we will surely see more accurate ones in the future. It just doesn't happen in one day.
But there will always be the inaccurate ones. Like them or not! As I said before, to me craftsmanship is probably the most important factor of a sculpt. The more accurate the better.

Select artists started drawing feathered dinosaurs in the 1960's. Many big name artists feathered dinosaurs in the 1980's (Greg Paul, Bob Bakker). Scientists predicted feathers for dinosaurs long before they were even discovered (which was a decade ago). Darren Naish even protested the ORIGINAL "Jurassic Park" for not feathering their Velociraptors back in 1993! So yeah, I'll agree we will eventually get there but the wait has been long and exhausting and I would like a properly feathered model in my lifetime please.  ^-^

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 13, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 13, 2015, 06:11:37 PM
I split the off topic discussion about museum quality into a new thread :)
Not being rude but the last time rebor introed a dinosaur it began a huge discussion about museum acuracy quality that was split off the as well....so if I am understanding it we now have two threads about this caused by the same company. I only remember because I was the one from the start questioning what museum accurate and so forth meant

Oh, sorry,if it was me I forgot. Point me to the other topic and I will merge them :)

Federreptil

Hope, we see the day of a real feathered Dromeosaur model like Gwangi shows from Emily Willoughby earlier.  :D

Paleogene Pals

triceratops83

Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM
Theropods are an extremely diverse dinosaur suborder, even excluding birds.  There's a great variety within carnivorous, as well as omnivorous and herbivorous theropods.  I would be surprised if anyone thinks "it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized (or sharp) teeth", as ceratopsians and sauropods, and therizinosaurs too, are very popular.  I'm not sure hadrosaurs are the worst sellers among dinosaurs...  Some dinosaur families have no toys/figures/models as far as I'm aware, like alvarezsaurs and scansoriopterygids (both of which are theropod families).
[/quote]
I probably generalised that more than I should have. But my point would be that a harmless looking Alvarezsaur would likely sell only as well as an Ornithopod. When I referred to Theropods in toy form I mean more in the vein of Carnosaurs, Tyrannosaurs and Dromaeosaurs. The issue I'm making is that people want to see "dragons" Ceratopsians are also "dragon-like" in the publics' eye, and Sauropods are popular because they are known to be for the most part, huge. Of course, Shantungosaurus and Magnapaulia could be used to give the public masses a handle on which to see the coolness of more "boring" dinosaurs, especially if a company such as Rebor marketed it as a "Beast that could swat Tyrannosaurs away like flies"
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Meso-Cenozoic

Besides the obvious feather issues, the main thing that doesn't quite sit well with me is it's proportions. They just seem a little off, making it look a bit odd. The size of its extremities seem rather large compared to the body size they chose. For me, the overall sculpt, again beautifully detailed, in the end is a miss.

As far as REBOR not making any accuracy quotes...

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 08:26:25 PM
I think one thing is now clear. Rebor have not made any statements to say they are making accurate models but they are making very appealing ones.

From REBOR's first page in their Yutyrannus post, they themselves wrote this:
QuoteThe model is a 1:35 scale replica of Yutyrannus based on the result of the latest research.

It does seem to be a bit misleading. But to be fair, I don't remember seeing a statement like that for their T. rex or this Utahraptor. It is however a little confusing to know exactly what direction they're going. But if one is only judging a piece by its aesthetics, I can see how some are very taken with their highly detailed appearances. They do make for quite striking little statues. I'm curious to see their color choices for this guy.

amargasaurus cazaui

Well on the plus side since the arms are poseable you can raise them up in the panic mode and have it running around going I am naked...I am naked !!! Always look for the ray of sunshine.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 14, 2015, 02:48:39 AM
Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM
Theropods are an extremely diverse dinosaur suborder, even excluding birds.  There's a great variety within carnivorous, as well as omnivorous and herbivorous theropods.  I would be surprised if anyone thinks "it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized (or sharp) teeth", as ceratopsians and sauropods, and therizinosaurs too, are very popular.  I'm not sure hadrosaurs are the worst sellers among dinosaurs...  Some dinosaur families have no toys/figures/models as far as I'm aware, like alvarezsaurs and scansoriopterygids (both of which are theropod families).
I probably generalised that more than I should have. But my point would be that a harmless looking Alvarezsaur would likely sell only as well as an Ornithopod. When I referred to Theropods in toy form I mean more in the vein of Carnosaurs, Tyrannosaurs and Dromaeosaurs. The issue I'm making is that people want to see "dragons" Ceratopsians are also "dragon-like" in the publics' eye, and Sauropods are popular because they are known to be for the most part, huge. Of course, Shantungosaurus and Magnapaulia could be used to give the public masses a handle on which to see the coolness of more "boring" dinosaurs, especially if a company such as Rebor marketed it as a "Beast that could swat Tyrannosaurs away like flies"

At the risk of going off-topic again, I like the point you're making, triceratops83. "Boring" and smaller dinosaurs get overlooked a lot , like we've discussed in other threads. However, I'm not sure the best solution is to try and make them more exciting, at the risk of deviating toward sensationalism. What I'd really like to see is for people to appreciate dinosaurs (or any animals really) on a more nuanced basis than their strangeness and assumed ferocity. After all, I can go out to a kitschy shop at a mall and find lots of little resin sparrows or larks. They're sort of boring little birds on the face of it, but people like them for what they are. Why should other dinosaurs be different?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: