News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What other Prehistoric Reptiles should Safari Make

Started by Takama, June 16, 2015, 03:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Three of these Creatures Should Safari Make

Estemmenosuchus
20 (69%)
Anatosuchus
2 (6.9%)
dimetrodon
7 (24.1%)
arizonasaurus
5 (17.2%)
Rutiodon
8 (27.6%)
Moschops
11 (37.9%)
Araripesuchus
5 (17.2%)
Laganosuchus
3 (10.3%)
Edaphosaurus
16 (55.2%)
Erythrosuchus
3 (10.3%)
Other
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Takama

By now you know the drill.    Vote what you want to See Safari do. Theirs no garentee it will work, but its worth a shot

EDIT    It seems i forgot to set the Number of alowed votes. Admins, can you help me out :-[

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: Takama on June 16, 2015, 03:30:22 AM
By now you know the drill.    Vote what you want to See Safari do. Theirs no garentee it will work, but its worth a shot

EDIT    It seems i forgot to set the Number of alowed votes. Admins, can you help me out :-[

Maybe it is better to delete and write again this post

John

Though I would love to see any one of what's on the poll so far turn up,I'd say the Eurythrosuchus has the most mainstream appeal due to it's monstrous appearance.  :)
Then there is Edaphosaurus,a famous finback always seen in connection with Dimetrodon even in Charles R. Knight's paintings.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

sauroid

i picked Edaphosaurus, Estemmenosuchus and other (Placerias). i was going to pick Moschops as the third choice but Placerias is more striking looking.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

I understand that from a commercial point of view the Edaphosaurus would be a success for its resemblance regarding the thermoregulatory candle with dimetrodon.

It is a prehistoric animal that is very underrated and after the disappearance of tiny copy of Bullyland Edaphosaurus there is no market for traditional toys decent dinosaurs.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I went with Rutiodon, Dimetrodon, and also chose Placerias for other (before reading your post, sauroid).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Mauro "Raptor86"

Manatee

I evidently like things ending with -suchus; I voted for Desmato (as an other), Lagano, and Estemmenosuchus. A Safari Desmatosuchus would be the greatest thing ever.

John

I have a thought about this particular poll that's not going to be very popular,but it's this:
The prehistoric crocodiles toob appears to have been retired,as it has a lower price in red on Safari Ltd.'s site as usual for items that they stop production on.
That doesn't speak much for the chances of anything in this poll seeing the light of day...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Quote from: John on June 18, 2015, 05:26:52 PM
I have a thought about this particular poll that's not going to be very popular,but it's this:
The prehistoric crocodiles toob appears to have been retired,as it has a lower price in red on Safari Ltd.'s site as usual for items that they stop production on.
That doesn't speak much for the chances of anything in this poll seeing the light of day...
That's an interesting point. The crocs toob was released in what, 2010, 2011? What is the typical lifespan of a Safari product? I mean, some of the Carnegies lasted waaaaaay longer than they should have, but it does seem like the Wild Safari figures just kind of blink in and out of existence. Maybe more discouraging than the crocs toob is the very short run of the Scutosaurus. That said, Estemmenosuchus is much weirder looking, which has got to be a point in its favor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

John

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 18, 2015, 05:57:32 PM
Quote from: John on June 18, 2015, 05:26:52 PM
That's an interesting point. The crocs toob was released in what, 2010, 2011? What is the typical lifespan of a Safari product? I mean, some of the Carnegies lasted waaaaaay longer than they should have, but it does seem like the Wild Safari figures just kind of blink in and out of existence. Maybe more discouraging than the crocs toob is the very short run of the Scutosaurus. That said, Estemmenosuchus is much weirder looking, which has got to be a point in its favor.
I would actually love to be wrong about what I posted and actually see any of what's in the poll turn up. :)

Takama

Crackington

Agree with the comments re Edaphosaurus, there are a million Dimetrodon figures, but very few of it. I think it would be great if there was a Permian animals tube sometime - could have some interesting beasities.

One animal also seldom represented is Seymouria, one of the first reptiles. It would be good to have a small decent model of this available (though it looks like one is available on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/product/VYPSCXVV3/seymouria-7)

Sim

Seymouria isn't a reptile. ;)  Also, I recently read about modern classifications limiting reptiles to sauropsids, which would mean synapsids aren't reptiles.  It makes sense, although I can't find where I read this now...

Crackington

Quote from: Sim on September 20, 2015, 07:17:45 PM
Seymouria isn't a reptile. ;)  Also, I recently read about modern classifications limiting reptiles to sauropsids, which would mean synapsids aren't reptiles.  It makes sense, although I can't find where I read this now...

Well, reptile-ish :D It could still go in a Permian tube, though point taken with modern classification of reptiles (afraid my default setting is based on the PG Tips Prehistoric Animals tea-cards album from the early 70s)!

terrorchicken

Estemmenosuchus b/c its insane looking:

also would love another gorgonopsid like lycaenops...

ceratopsian

I voted for Estemmenosuchus - great visual appeal; Edaphosaurus - like others of you, I think it gets overlooked in favour of Dimetrodon and a different sail-back would be good.  Finally Placerias as "other".

sauroid

another "other" would be Smok wawelski. altho there is still doubt whether it's an Archosaur or a Theropod dino.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: