News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachiosaurus

Beautiful Collection! That ≈1:40 list has really helped me out, thank you so much for making it!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 03, 2016, 01:40:58 AM
Beautiful Collection! That ≈1:40 list has really helped me out, thank you so much for making it!

It was just a matter of copying and pasting. :) Glad you found it useful!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 03, 2016, 05:24:49 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 03, 2016, 01:40:58 AM

It was just a matter of copying and pasting. :) Glad you found it useful!

That's why everyone should have some sort of database!

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Megalosaurus on April 05, 2016, 12:12:24 AM
I love the Permian collection.
Heres a nice stemmemnosuchus sculpt:
http://a-fragi.blogspot.mx/2011/09/estemmenosuchus-mirabilis.html

That's gorgeous. He should let Favorite cast it for their Prehistoric Life collection. That line is wonderful but could use some more adventurous species choices.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Tullimonstrum by our friend Jetoar. First stand-alone prehistoric lamprey figure in existence, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe Priscomyzon next? About 1:1 (but this animal varied a lot in size: some were bigger than this and some were smaller). [EDIT: Not actually a lamprey.]

Action Products "I Dig Prehistoric Sharks" Echinochimaera, which was the very last elasmobranch on my wish list. Echinochimaera was so weird that even a hyper-realistic Kaiyodo version would look cartoony, so there was no way a stylized version could avoid looking like a punk-rock PacMan. So they embraced it and painted it yellow. About 1:2-1:3.

Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Bothriolepis. ALL FISH FIGURES SHOULD HAVE STANDS. About 1:4.

Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Eusthenopteron. Much finer paint work than either Dinotales version. And it comes with a stand! About 1:25-1:30.

Kaiyodo Cladoselache. As usual, version 1.2 > version 1.1. No stand, but I like it anyway. About 1:25-1:30.

The Devonian in 1:25-ish.

Safari Sarcoprion. I'd love a full-sized figure of this creature. This version is around 1:60.

Safari Edestus. As with the Sarcoprion, I'd like to have a 1:40 version. This is 1:60-1:65. Normally I don't even keep figures at such a small scale, but it's this or be a fish guy whose collection lacks two Carboniferous holocephalans, which would clearly be unacceptable.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roselaar

SBell

Glad to see the Echinochimaera finally up in the thread!

It's too bad I only got a couple when those were available...

Halichoeres

Thanks guys!

@SBell: Damn shame that the line went belly-up so quick, too, cartoony as they were.

DinoLord

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 16, 2016, 02:04:00 PM
Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Bothriolepis. ALL FISH FIGURES SHOULD HAVE STANDS.

Interesting that you mention this. I was actually content to let the marine CQ set go by seeing as I already have all the Dinotales versions, but the nice stands and nameplates swayed me to acquire them.

SBell

Quote from: DinoLord on April 17, 2016, 08:59:05 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 16, 2016, 02:04:00 PM
Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Bothriolepis. ALL FISH FIGURES SHOULD HAVE STANDS.

Interesting that you mention this. I was actually content to let the marine CQ set go by seeing as I already have all the Dinotales versions, but the nice stands and nameplates swayed me to acquire them.

I kind of felt the same way, but I wound up with 4 out of the 5 (didn't need another Triarthrus). It is too bad that the Opabinia doesn't mount on its base like the fish do.

Halichoeres

Flaffy

The in flight poses takes up a lot of space on my shelf, does anyone have this problem too?

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on April 19, 2016, 06:18:36 AM
The in flight poses takes up a lot of space on my shelf, does anyone have this problem too?

Yes! The ones with stands are easy to place next to something that it can be flying over (for example, my Favorite Pteranodon is next to the short Carnegie Deinosuchus, which works well because they're to roughly the same scale and lived at the same place and time). For the ones without stands, I often end up balancing them on taller animals like theropods or sauropods. One of these days I hope to make custom stands for them.

Halichoeres

Theropods of the Cretaceous! (Or at least new ones since my last Cretaceous update.)

Safari Masiakasaurus. About time this genus got the PVC treatment! And it's a looker, to boot. About 1:9

Carnegie Oviraptor. Took me a long time to get this one, but I don't know why. It's pretty decent (and yes, ten years hence, it's clear it should be even more birdlike). About 1:12

AAoD Australovenator. So excited about this line. If they all turn out this well, I'll keep buyin' em. I just hope they don't shaft Mini-Zoo the next time; it's really a shame that they did all the promotion and got none of the proceeds. My measuring tape roughly agrees with the stated scale of 1:24. Replaced the CollectA version in my collection.

CollectA Tyrannosaurus. Great sculpt, really goes all in rather than just giving it a tuft of feathers here and there. About 1:30 based on a large specimen, so it's actually annoyingly large on the 1:40 shelf.

CollectA Spinosaurus. Really nice sculpt, bland paint job. I have a pretty dim view of this reconstruction, but I don't consider it refuted either, so this sits alongside my Kinto resin Spinosaurus to represent the ongoing controversy about its appearance. About 1:35

Golden Link "Gorgon." I generally avoid action figures, and the Vivid "Gorgon" blind bag figure was too small to fit in my collection, so I was pleased to stumble across this nice-looking cup-topper figure, which is a nicer sculpt than either Vivid version. Given the setting of the WWD movie, this should be Nanuqsaurus rather than Gorgosaurus, so that's what it stands in for on my shelf. About 1:35.

Kaiyodo Fukuiraptor. Gorgeous little figure, a nice update to their Expo resin figure, with a much more fluid pose. About 1:35-1:40.

Planeta DeAgostini Nanotyrannus. Regardless of what you think about its status as a genus, this isn't what it would've looked like. I'm tentatively on Team It's-a-Juvenile-T. rex, but this is still a cool little relic of what we used to think. About 1:40.

Planeta DeAgostini Indosuchus. I was pretty excited to find a member offering these for trade recently. They aren't the most accurate figures on earth, but man, what a range of taxa. This one is probably a little stumpy-legged, and has to lean on other figures, but I'm pretty stoked to have it on my shelf anyhow. About 1:40.

Planeta DeAgostini Abelisaurus. Well, maybe. Based on some photos posted by docronnie, it's possible that mine are knockoffs, as they don't have the DeAgostini stamp on their bellies. If they are knockoffs, they're very convincing ones, and I'm not too concerned as they're a 20-year-old line and my owning these doesn't take anything out of any artist's pocket. And I'm happy to have an Abelisaurus! About 1:60.

DinoLord

Nice update. Glad to see the Masiakasaurus doesn't have the Safari 'milk mustache'. As for the Fukuiraptor, I'm surprised Kaiyodo didn't go with the classic tiger stripes pattern - it's a nice change.

Sim

Yes, nice update Tim.  The De Agostini dinosaurs look like they're all based on artwork that was in the "Dinosaurs!" magazine series I had as a kid.  Ikessauro posted some of the figures and the corresponding artwork here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=408.100  I imagine you and many others already knew the figures were based on artwork.  Ikessauro didn't include a comparison for Nanotyrannus though...  Anyone want to see what the artwork I think it was based on is?: http://www.sapere.it/sapere/approfondimenti/animali/dinosauri/nanotyrannus.html

Once I found out the kind of figures you were after I thought you'd want to get some of the De Agostini figures.  I'm glad you've managed!

Quote from: DinoLord on May 02, 2016, 12:21:22 AM
Glad to see the Masiakasaurus doesn't have the Safari 'milk mustache'.

I agree, although it looks like it has a hot chocolate mustache...

Halichoeres

Thanks, guys! I think the teeth of Masiakasaurus are so outsized that it gives painters room for error. Someday I may take all my theropods and clean up their gaping mouths with a bit of acrylic.

@Sim: I think the dinosaurs shipped with the magazine you're talking about, at least in some countries. I might be wrong, though. I don't remember ever seeing them here in the States, but who knows. Everyone I've talked to who had them got them in Europe or Latin America. I think you nailed the Nanotyrannus art.

I'm pretty pleased to have found them, and within a month or two of even learning they existed! The only one I'm missing now is Arrhinoceratops. You might already know this, but they're marketing, at least in Spain, Ireland, and the UK, a line of Dinosaur Train-esque figures with kids' books. Incredibly, they have 77 issues and so far not a single unique species (although they seem to have been slightly ahead of Kaiyodo in making a Yi). Even their issues for Stomatosuchus and Mei long don't include the titular animals.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: