News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Concavenator’s Collection (new 08/05/2024)

Started by Concavenator, May 01, 2021, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

Congrats on the Yutyrannus, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator. It really is a wonderful figure. It may not be as large as other theropod figures, but the pose and the great sculpting on the feathers give it a great shelf presence.

I keep meaning to get the Saurian book. I doubt the game is going to get finished at this rate, so it would be nice to have something to commemorate what could have been.
Check out my customs thread!

Duna

Congrats on your adquisitions avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator The yutyrannus is a small but very nice figure.
I would like also to purchase the Eofauna book but as I got the first in Spanish, I think I'll wait for the Spanish version.

Shonisaurus

I am very happy for your new acquisitions. The yutyrannus is very beautiful and the books purchased are the best paleontology of the moment, I also plan to wait for the version of the book on sauropods when it is translated into Spanish.

Halichoeres

Those are great books! I especially like the sections on plants and fishes in the Saurian Field Guide, that sort of thing gets left out too often. The Yutyrannus is nothing to sneeze at either--I still have the Safari version, but it was a close call.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely acquisitions, I have both of those books and the artwork is suberb. I do love how the Saurian guides covers all the flora and fauna as well.
Yinqi is a great choice too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 18, 2022, 08:00:59 PMI keep meaning to get the Saurian book. I doubt the game is going to get finished at this rate, so it would be nice to have something to commemorate what could have been.

Couldn´t recommend it enough. To be honest, I haven´t been following the progress of the game, all I have seen are some YouTube gameplays. But I hope they succeed, they have done an awesome job, and this book is no exception.

Quote from: Duna on March 18, 2022, 09:13:28 PMCongrats on your adquisitions avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator The yutyrannus is a small but very nice figure.
I would like also to purchase the Eofauna book but as I got the first in Spanish, I think I'll wait for the Spanish version.
Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 19, 2022, 12:13:39 PMI am very happy for your new acquisitions. The yutyrannus is very beautiful and the books purchased are the best paleontology of the moment, I also plan to wait for the version of the book on sauropods when it is translated into Spanish.

Thanks! I would have definetely bought the Spanish version instead had I known they were releasing one. I mean, I was expecting they might have gotten to it at some point, but it had been a while since the book was originally released, so I didn´t know when they were planning to get to it and I went for the English one anyways. Patience is a virtue, they say...

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2022, 09:51:12 PMThose are great books! I especially like the sections on plants and fishes in the Saurian Field Guide, that sort of thing gets left out too often. The Yutyrannus is nothing to sneeze at either--I still have the Safari version, but it was a close call.

Thanks! I imagined you would enjoy those, and I admit it was interesting to take a look at them.
The Safari Yutyrannus is great in its own right, but I personally find scaly faces on feathered theropods annoying.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 24, 2022, 12:22:19 AMLovely acquisitions, I have both of those books and the artwork is suberb. I do love how the Saurian guides covers all the flora and fauna as well.
Yinqi is a great choice too.

Thank you! Yeah, it´s great they decided to go real in deep when covering as much as possible Hell Creek´s diversity.
On another note, I´m really hoping PNSO releases more feathered species and also some of the other important species from China. Zhenyuanlong, Anchiornis, Sinosauropteryx... those are at the top of my wishlist from them.

Shonisaurus

Nice acquisitions, the Eofauna triceratops is an exotic and fantastic figure in the world of toy triceratops, Eofauna has done an excellent job.

On the other hand, the Eofauna deinotherium is one of my favorite proboscideans, although it takes a backseat to the palaeoloxodon of the same brand, that is my favorite proboscidean by far, but it can still be replaced by its Eofauna konobelodon counterpart. Magnificent and artistic photographs.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Those are both lovely acquisitions, all Eofauna are really.

And I agree it would be nice for PNSO to make some of the small feathered Chinese dinosaurs.  I'm surprised Microraptor is still the only one.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

Thanks to both of you!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 31, 2022, 07:04:13 AMNice acquisitions, the Eofauna triceratops is an exotic and fantastic figure in the world of toy triceratops, Eofauna has done an excellent job.

On the other hand, the Eofauna deinotherium is one of my favorite proboscideans, although it takes a backseat to the palaeoloxodon of the same brand, that is my favorite proboscidean by far, but it can still be replaced by its Eofauna konobelodon counterpart. Magnificent and artistic photographs.

Yep, Eofauna´s proboscideans are top notch. The Palaeoloxodon is great, and I thought about getting it, but the species isn´t too interesting for me.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 31, 2022, 09:13:48 PMThose are both lovely acquisitions, all Eofauna are really.

And I agree it would be nice for PNSO to make some of the small feathered Chinese dinosaurs.  I'm surprised Microraptor is still the only one.

I´m also surprised. Well, I´m aware of some of them they released as minis, but larger and more detailed versions would be welcome in my book! They might get around to it, since they´ve shown they like their local creatures.

Here's an update on my collection display at the moment (April 2022):

Halichoeres

Oh, interesting, you subscribe to the ornithoscelidan hypothesis?

Nice setup, by the way. EoFauna is definitely one of those companies that warrants a full shelf. But if you get the Konobelodon, it will go with the non-dinosaurs like the Deinotherium?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

Nice shelves and collection, very chosen figures. I see you have Steve Brusatte's book on The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. I read it when I was convalescing from my phimosis operation and honestly it is extremely good and very well written. I hope to read it again.

I see that the dicraeosaurus from GR Toys is very small but at the same time very interesting. I celebrate your good taste when choosing figures and books from the prehistoric universe.

SidB

I think that I've mentioned before, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , that I like the elegance and simplicity of your non-crowded white display shelves. It really places an emphasis on the figures. For myself, Id probably give in to the temptation to insert another layer of shelves between the existing horizontal ones, so as to accommodate for figures. But that's just me.

Duna

Quote from: SidB on April 21, 2022, 12:55:03 PM
I think that I've mentioned before, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , that I like the elegance and simplicity of your non-crowded white display shelves. It really places an emphasis on the figures. For myself, Id probably give in to the temptation to insert another layer of shelves between the existing horizontal ones, so as to accommodate for figures. But that's just me.
I also suggested that, hehe. With glass shelves you can keep the same "lighting", they are easy to install and thinner that wooden ones, but you have to keep them cleaner.

By the way, congrats avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, you have made a selection of the most select figures of all times. I would love to have those Carnegie figures, they are all my favourite of all times (and the Concavenator, too), you seem to have the same taste as mine about them! :D
I'd like to make a suggestion for your non-dinosaur shelf, the Collecta Elasmotherium. That is what I call a figure, not a toy at all. It's superb, it's one of my favourites in my collection. I don't know if you like the species (taking them as representative of their families-groups) but Collecta edaphosaurus and Safari sarcosuchus are very nice figures and have a presence.

SidB

Quote from: Duna on April 21, 2022, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 21, 2022, 12:55:03 PM
I also suggested that, hehe. With glass shelves you can keep the same "lighting", they are easy to install and thinner that wooden ones, but you have to keep them cleaner.

By the way, congrats avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, you have made a selection of the most select figures of all times. I would love to have those Carnegie figures, they are all my favourite of all times (and the Concavenator, too), you seem to have the same taste as mine about them! :D
I'd like to make a suggestion for your non-dinosaur shelf, the Collecta Elasmotherium. That is what I call a figure, not a toy at all. It's superb, it's one of my favourites in my collection. I don't know if you like the species (taking them as representative of their families-groups) but Collecta edaphosaurus and Safari sarcosuchus are very nice figures and have a presence.
I'd second those recommendations - all three are top-notch. The Elasmotherium, in particular, is a relatively overlooked gem.

Concavenator

Thanks everyone for coming here and posting!  ^-^

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 20, 2022, 04:30:57 PMOh, interesting, you subscribe to the ornithoscelidan hypothesis?

Nice setup, by the way. EoFauna is definitely one of those companies that warrants a full shelf. But if you get the Konobelodon, it will go with the non-dinosaurs like the Deinotherium?

Well, both the new and old hypotheses have their pros and their cons. The new hypothesis makes some interesting points, yet it's not like the old one is now irrelevant either. I would say that I think the newer one is more likely to be correct, but as you know, opinions are meaningless in science. We'll just have to see if the new one is still supported in the long term by considering new dinosaurs, further clarifying the shared characters between saurischians given the concept might now be wrong and so on.

Regarding the Eofauna Konobelodon, I don't plan to get it. I know it's a great figure like all of theirs but proboscideans aren't a group I'm too interested in. I picked up the Deinotherium because that genus is very iconic and is one of my old favorites. However, if they release a woolly mamoth or an American mastodon, I would probably get at least one of them just because of how iconic and famous they are. In any case, the idea is to have all non-dinosaurs displayed together, no matter what company they are from, so at the moment they would all go to that shelf.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 21, 2022, 07:50:01 AMNice shelves and collection, very chosen figures. I see you have Steve Brusatte's book on The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. I read it when I was convalescing from my phimosis operation and honestly it is extremely good and very well written. I hope to read it again.

I see that the dicraeosaurus from GR Toys is very small but at the same time very interesting. I celebrate your good taste when choosing figures and books from the prehistoric universe.

Thank you! Sorry you went through that, I hope you are okay now...

I haven't read the book, but I've looked through it and it looks to be very interesting, I hope to fully read it when I have more time.

And I recommend the GR Toys Dicraeosaurus if you don't have it! This genus is very neglected yet it's so important and well known, about time someone paid attention to it, and GR Toys delivered nicely.

Quote from: SidB on April 21, 2022, 12:55:03 PMI think that I've mentioned before, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , that I like the elegance and simplicity of your non-crowded white display shelves. It really places an emphasis on the figures. For myself, Id probably give in to the temptation to insert another layer of shelves between the existing horizontal ones, so as to accommodate for figures. But that's just me.

Thanks! That is indeed a very good suggestion, I will consider it but I'm not so sure because I'm intending to move from my apartment at some point. And when I do, I plan to go with avatar_Duna @Duna 's suggestion of the BESTA / DETOLF shelves. Her collection looks fantastic on them. It would also save me the time of having to dust both the shelves and the figures off, so it's all advantages really.

Quote from: Duna on April 21, 2022, 03:45:08 PMBy the way, congrats avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, you have made a selection of the most select figures of all times. I would love to have those Carnegie figures, they are all my favourite of all times (and the Concavenator, too), you seem to have the same taste as mine about them! :D

Thank you! Very glad with the Carnegies, they are great, truly a line I'm missing even during these days. Since you also collect vintage figures, have you looked into getting some of them? They are rare, but from what I know they pop up on ebay sometimes. If you're interested in getting some Carnegie figures, I suggest you visit D @Dinoguy2 's Carnegie site: http://www.dinosaurmountain.net/

And those are great suggestions. Frankly, I had almost forgotten about them, there have been so many great releases during the last few years... In particular, the CollectA Edaphosaurus is one that's been on my wishlist for some time, I hope to get it at some point. However, I get very few acquisitions every year and I usually prioritize dinosaurs.

Concavenator

Collection summary in post #1.

Concavenator

*deleted*

Halichoeres

Yes, non-dinosaurs, the best!  ;)

These are both really nice figures. Unsurprising of course to get an excellent marine reptile from Safari, but the Papo was an unexpectedly good release.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on March 18, 2022, 07:35:51 PM

Saurian´s Field Guide. Another splendid book featuring some gorgeous art. Quite the in-depth insight on the Hell Creek formation.
How's the cover
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

Thank you  :)

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 10, 2022, 03:48:33 PMYes, non-dinosaurs, the best!  ;)

These are both really nice figures. Unsurprising of course to get an excellent marine reptile from Safari, but the Papo was an unexpectedly good release.

Heh, as you can see non-dinosaurs are not the main focus of my collection, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate some! I have several more in my wishlist, but I'm a rather slow collector, so it will probably be a while until I get more of them.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 lol that was a very bad pic from me. I hope this is better:

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.