News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creative Beast hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, April 19, 2022, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

A few more thoughts I have:

1. Another species I'd like from BotM would be Yangchuanosaurus.  It could share parts with the upcoming BotM Allosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus.  I'd also like a Prestosuchus.  It could share parts with Postosuchus and Saurosuchus.

2. I remember during the BotM Raptor series Kickstarter someone asked David if he could make Tianyuraptor for that series.  David said he couldn't as the proportions were too different.  This wouldn't be a problem if David makes it share parts with Deinonychus, Zhenyuanlong and troodontids. :)  And that fan would finally be able to have a Tianyuraptor.

3. A BotM Anchiceratops would be so cool, just look at its skull:

(Image source)

4. A BotM Psittacosaurus sibiricus would be cool too, with its four pairs of eye horns:

(Image source)

GojiraGuy1954

I really love PK's Psittacosaurus sibricus design.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Sim on May 01, 2022, 05:27:05 PM
I'd also like a Prestosuchus.  It could share parts with Postosuchus and Saurosuchus.

Tianyuraptor.

Anchiceratops

Psittacosaurus sibiricus
Yes, yes, yes on all fronts! Especially Anchiceratops. It's probably my favorite ceratopsian.

Sim

Personally, I really like Olorotitan's Psittacosaurus sibiricus, although I would like it even more if it had tail filaments:

(Image source)

Sim

For Beasts of the Mesozoic and Cyberzoic, the prehistoric species have colourations that are based on something that already exists, usually extant animal species.  I actually really like this, it's produced some of the best colourations for prehistoric animal figures in my opinion.

So here are some colourations I'd like for Beasts of the Mesozoic figures:

Sinornithosaurus millenii: Savanna hawk
  (Image source)

Deinonychus antirrhopus: Variable hawk
  (Image source)

Saurornithoides mongoliensis: Black-and-white owl
  (Image source)
I found that using this owl's scientific name in a Google images search gives much better results than if using its common name, it's Strix nigrolineata

Dilong paradoxus (repaint): African grey hornbill
  (Image source)

Achelousaurus horneri: Tyco Pachyrhinosaurus
(No image)
Achelousaurus is not a species of Pachyrhinosaurus, although it is closely related and probably ancestral.  I think the Tyco Pachyrhinosaurus colouration would work better on Achelousaurus than any Pachyrhinosaurus species.

Sim

I've been thinking about it and maybe it would be best to leave Zhenyuanlong at it's current real life size.  So if it were shrunk down to 1:18 scale it would be roughly the same size as the Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus and Linheraptor.  I think this because it's not known what size Zhenyuanlong could grow to beyond the one specimen and it's possible it didn't grow larger than Velociraptor, Linheraptor, etc..  I still think a 1:18 Zhenyuanlong with correct proportions would be a great idea and same for 1:18 versions of Deinonychus, Tianyuraptor and troodontids.  Parts sharing could still happen, even though I think David has shown it's not necessary e.g. the BotM Zuniceratops and Tyrannosaurus.  I think Deinonychus is so popular that David could do a Kickstarter for JUST a BotM Deinonychus in different colour schemes and it would get funded.  Not that that's necessary as there are other dromaeosaurid species and troodontid species that could be included and be well-received.

Dinoguy2

Maybe heresy, but the number one thing I'd love to see from this line is a series of animal-headed figures similar to the Rulons, I guess allied with the dragons... Would definitely get me to buy some of the dragon figures at least;
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

I would absolutely adore a Halszkaraptor, it's incredibly overlooked and underappreciated. I guess a big part of why that happens is because it differs so much from the "usual" dromaeosaurids (same happens with the unenlagiines).

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim For the Zhenyuanlong, I think that would be a good idea, as it would reflect the current fossil individual we currently have as well, and is the size of it when it died, like in the way that PNSO's Parasaurolophus is directly based on the holotype specimen, and is not a generic representation of the species. I also adore those birds colorations you picked out, especially for the Deinonychus.

+1 on Halszkaraptor. Still waiting for a figure of that from any company.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I'm hoping for some non-dinosaurs, especially in the "Water Clan."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Perhaps the Water Clan is David's means of bringing to life his dream of posable prehistoric shark figures? Be nice if there was at least one or two in the lineup.

Spinosaurus is probably a shoe-in provided Cyberzoic does well enough. Maybe a Deinosuchus as well. I'd be tempted by one!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

KrazyKaprosuchus

Having some prehistoric sharks or in general aquatic non-dinosaurs from david would be crazy. Something like nothosaurids or metriorynchids would be awesome as well. And to mimic what I said before some phytosaurs or rausuchians would be a dream come true.

Halichoeres

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on May 15, 2022, 10:58:52 PMHaving some prehistoric sharks or in general aquatic non-dinosaurs from david would be crazy. Something like nothosaurids or metriorynchids would be awesome as well. And to mimic what I said before some phytosaurs or rausuchians would be a dream come true.
I like all those ideas.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on May 08, 2022, 02:24:51 AMavatar_Sim @Sim For the Zhenyuanlong, I think that would be a good idea, as it would reflect the current fossil individual we currently have as well, and is the size of it when it died, like in the way that PNSO's Parasaurolophus is directly based on the holotype specimen, and is not a generic representation of the species. I also adore those birds colorations you picked out, especially for the Deinonychus.

+1 on Halszkaraptor. Still waiting for a figure of that from any company.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, yes, I agree regarding Zhenyuanlong.  I'm glad you like those bird colourations! :)  For Halszkaraptor I think it would need to be made in 1:6 scale like Sinornithosaurus.

I've been talking with David via email and I linked him to this thread.  He responded that he'll be sure to keep the suggestions in mind. :)

stargatedalek

Some small animals as pets or trained attack animals would be very cool for this line.

Sim

Some more extant animal colourations I'd like for BotM species, I'm using the scientific names for the reptiles:

Baryonyx walkeri: Amblyrhynchus cristatus wikelskii
  (Image source)

Yangchuanosaurus shangyouensis: Enyalioides binzayedi
  (Image source)

Tuojiangosaurus multispinus: Cyclura lewisi
  (Image source)

Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis: Ferruginous hawk
  (Image source)

Daspletosaurus horneri: Varanus varius
  (Image source)

Eoraptor lunensis: Semiplumbeous hawk
  (Image source)

Borealopelta markmitchelli: Tympanocryptis tetraporophora
  (Image source)

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I really like what you're picking here for colorations for these possible species. Also yeah I totally want to see Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor in this line eventually too. More Triassic period animals would be good to see too. Longisquama, Drepanosaurus, Desmatosuchus, Postosuchus, Shringasaurus, Sharovipteryx, etc.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I actually really like that idea. Did you have any specific animals in mind for that? I think it could give more use for the smaller Velociraptor, Protoceratops, and the like too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

The aforementioned Halskaraptor would be a great start, but maybe things like Kuhneosaurus or Sinosauropteryx.

DragonRider02

It would be cool to have a falconer character, but with tiny Archaeopteryx or Microraptor or some small pterosaur figure.

Halichoeres

Quote from: DragonRider02 on May 20, 2022, 05:43:33 AMIt would be cool to have a falconer character, but with tiny Archaeopteryx or Microraptor or some small pterosaur figure.

I love this idea. Truthfully, I have no interest in the armor or the human characters, but I would buy human characters if they came with small accessory animals, like the ones that came with Primeval action figures, except presumably more accurate.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: