News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum upgrade feedback

Started by DinoToyForum, May 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2022, 03:49:07 PMCan the total time spent logged in be removed from the main forum page?  It's more information that's not helpful.  And if possible could the number of posts a user has made be added back to the main forum page?

Sure, I've just removed the time spent logged in stat, I agree it was a bit pointless.

Whereabouts on the main forum page was the number of posts a user made? I can't remember that and don't see it on the Wayback Machine.

postsaurischian

Not sure about the new design :-\ . To me it seems a bit more old-fashioned.
 What I definitely do not like is that pics are being shown in different sizes again.
 I think it looked much better when all pics were shown in 800x600 and you could enlarge them if you wanted to.

Sim

Thanks Dr Admin! :)  The number of posts used to be where the total time spent logged in later was displayed, replacing it.

By the way, in another topic you said there's now the option to save drafts of posts, but when I quoted a reply there was only the "preview" and "post" options, I didn't see any draft button.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2022, 02:28:10 PMI'll be honest, as an autistic person, I don't handle big changes like site redesigns well. I hopped on here on my phone, and I was shocked and confused why everything looked so different then what I was used to for years now. Desktop site is a little closer to what I was used to (as far as on the phone, need to see it on my laptop later), aside from some of the font sizes are a bit larger, but it could take me a while to process this and get used to it. We'll see.

Edit: Okay on my laptop now. Stuff is pretty similar. I guess I'm just not a fan of all the outlines of the posts in threads. Feels a little too much for my eyes (again, coming as an autistic person who can get visually overstimulated easily). I also miss the buttons at the top. Took me quite a bit of searching to realize they've all been clustered into a drop down menu at the very top. Very easy to miss. Did see that there were two layouts available in one of those drop down buttons, but I'm honestly not sure what's actually different between them.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we get used to the changes, it's also jarring for me!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2022, 04:14:50 PMThanks Dr Admin! :)  The number of posts used to be where the total time spent logged in later was displayed, replacing it.

By the way, in another topic you said there's now the option to save drafts of posts, but when I quoted a reply there was only the "preview" and "post" options, I didn't see any draft button.

Re: number of posts, I'm not sure about that, I'll have a look.

Re: drafts, how about now? The button should be to the left of the Preview button.

BlueKrono

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 02:19:24 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on May 15, 2022, 02:12:09 PMI'm sorry to say, but the formatting is quite irksome. Now to get to recent posts I have to scroll halfway down the DTF main page rather than it being right at the top like before. The fonts and such appear to be larger, meaning I can see less on my screen without having to scroll scroll scroll. It's unduly cumbersome. I think if it remains like this I'll probably just spend less time on the DTF and ATF. Note: I am on a mobile; I don't use a computer. One thing that might help is if Recent Posts had its own separate page I could favorite. That way I could go directly to it.

There is a button for recent posts in the top menu as before. I added this a few hours ago so you may not have seen it yet. The recent posts page is here by the way, if you want to favourite it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=recent

Things like fonts are relatively easy to change. avatar_acro-man @acro-man suggested above they could be larger, while you're suggesting they could be smaller? Are you talking about different parts of the forum?

Ah, I'm now on the Recent page. Very good. Perhaps the issue isn't font size per se, I just remember being able to see more of the site on my screen before. It could be more of a formatting thing. It would be nice to cut down on extra space in and between posts. But I don't know if that's too big of an ask. I know very little about coding and formatting. As always, what you do is much appreciated Dr. Admin.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

I see a "save draft" button now, thanks Dr Admin!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 15, 2022, 04:13:09 PMNot sure about the new design :-\ . To me it seems a bit more old-fashioned.
 What I definitely do not like is that pics are being shown in different sizes again.
 I think it looked much better when all pics were shown in 800x600 and you could enlarge them if you wanted to.

I've set the maximum image width to 800px so now large images don't spread across the whole page. But I can't make images clickable yet, until a modification is developed for that. So, in the meantime, members will have to manually open images in a new tab. Or I can set the maximum image width to a greater value again. It's pros and cons.

We have to remember the forum is being viewed on everything from tiny mobile screens, to huge monitors and projector screens, so different members will have different experiences. What works for one of you might cause problems for another, so I have a balancing act when it comes to things like font sizes, image sizes, and layouts.

Faelrin

Are spoiler tags gone now or just not working anymore? I went to go check out and revise one of my recent threads, and they seem to be missing. These were incredibly important for formatting my various large info and image heavy threads (to help minimize scrolling), aside from their obvious reason (such as discussion in the JW Dominion thread for example).

At least the new save draft thing should come in handy in the future though I imagine.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2022, 04:42:13 PMAre spoiler tags gone now or just not working anymore? I went to go check out and revise one of my recent threads, and they seem to be missing. These were incredibly important for formatting my various large info and image heavy threads (to help minimize scrolling), aside from their obvious reason (such as discussion in the JW Dominion thread for example).

At least the new save draft thing should come in handy in the future though I imagine.

Yeah, good point, spoiler tags aren't working at the moment, thanks for flagging that, I'm looking for a fix.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2022, 04:42:13 PMAre spoiler tags gone now or just not working anymore? I went to go check out and revise one of my recent threads, and they seem to be missing. These were incredibly important for formatting my various large info and image heavy threads (to help minimize scrolling), aside from their obvious reason (such as discussion in the JW Dominion thread for example).

Yeah, good point, spoiler tags aren't working at the moment, thanks for flagging that, I'm looking for a fix.

Spoiler tags should be working again now, please could you double check?

Takama

Ok I went to one of my Collection threads and I tried to save a Draft ON a post i was modifying and when I post it,    It made it a new post :(

It was the Art by Anz 1:35 Collection thread,  I made the extra post a placeholder for a future model, but i was thrown for a loop

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on May 15, 2022, 05:05:17 PMOk I went to one of my Collection threads and I tried to save a Draft ON a post i was modifying and when I post it,    It made it a new post :(

It was the Art by Anz 1:35 Collection thread,  I made the extra post a placeholder for a future model, but i was thrown for a loop

I don't think you can saves drafts of posts that are already published, if that's what you were trying to do? You can only save drafts of brand new posts. Maybe I misunderstand the issue?

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 15, 2022, 05:08:16 PM
Quote from: Takama on May 15, 2022, 05:05:17 PMOk I went to one of my Collection threads and I tried to save a Draft ON a post i was modifying and when I post it,    It made it a new post :(

I don't think you can saves drafts of posts that are already published, if that's what you were trying to do? You can only save drafts of brand new posts. Maybe I misunderstand the issue?

Well  I was modifying the very first post of that thread and i thoght i try out the save drafts feature while i get the new images uploaded for that post. Upon clicking the "Post" button" Instead of Modifying the exsiting post (Like i thoght it would have did), It was made as a brand new one if that makes sense?.

I now know to just edit them the old fashioned way

DinoToyForum

I think I see what you mean now. I just did a test and you can actually save a new (duplicate) draft of an existing post by going into the existing post and clicking Save Draft. It creates a new (duplicate) draft post. No point in that but there you go!

stargatedalek

Is there a way to open the "recent topics" page? The side bar fills up quickly and I can no longer find the button there that takes you to the full list.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 15, 2022, 06:18:49 PMIs there a way to open the "recent topics" page? The side bar fills up quickly and I can no longer find the button there that takes you to the full list.

There's a "Recent" button in the top menu.

stargatedalek

That seems to show a big list of individual posts, unfortunately not the same as the old feature.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 15, 2022, 06:31:48 PMThat seems to show a big list of individual posts, unfortunately not the same as the old feature.

I'm not sure which old feature you are referring to, is it on this archived front page from earlier in the year page? (takes a while to load) https://web.archive.org/web/20220122215856/http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/

Sim

The search function isn't working.  Also when a new reply has been posted while I'm in the process of making a new post, the new reply isn't shown on the post reply page.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: