News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skorpio V.

Quote from: SRF on February 19, 2022, 04:54:25 PM
Since Wilson isn't a 2022 release I'll just share this here. PNSO released a new video on the making of Wilson. Interestingly enough, Zhao Chuang states in this video that the exaggerated scales are there on purpose to emphasize the differences between the scales on different parts on its body. I do like to view Wilson as a showcase of these features. :)

https://youtu.be/-XWphQMBw9Y

At 14:36 Zhao discusses lips for anyone in need of their explanation again.

He discusses integument at 20:34

Seeing the 3D model of Wilson at 2:21 with the properly scaled scales is just Heaven!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

need4swede

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are these the same model?

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/pnso/products/pnso-1-35-spinosaurus-model

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/pnso/products/pnsoessien35

The dimensions look similar. I haven't seen much of that brownish colored one.
I've been tempted to get the larger Essien figure, but was a tad bit disappointed by the paint on the figure. Anyone here own the brown one?

Thanks!
- Swede

SRF

Quote from: need4swede on February 22, 2022, 07:53:13 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are these the same model?

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/pnso/products/pnso-1-35-spinosaurus-model

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/pnso/products/pnsoessien35

The dimensions look similar. I haven't seen much of that brownish colored one.
I've been tempted to get the larger Essien figure, but was a tad bit disappointed by the paint on the figure. Anyone here own the brown one?

Thanks!

Same sculpt, different coloration. The newer one is actually a recent release.
But today, I'm just being father

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on February 22, 2022, 07:58:14 PM
Same sculpt, different coloration. The newer one is actually a recent release.

Ah ok! Explains why I haven't seen it around. Has anyone actually gotten one? Having a hard time finding production examples of the figure. PNSO's a real hit or miss when it comes to color scheme on their production models.
- Swede

SRF

avatar_need4swede @need4swede I believe the newer version is only for sale for about a week now. It's featured in this video that PNSO has released yesterday. It is a very expensive model for us Europeans though, because of the VAT charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlu7CN5QaD8

JohannesB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 19, 2022, 06:08:05 PM
Since Wilson isn't a 2022 release I'll just share this here. PNSO released a new video on the making of Wilson. Interestingly enough, Zhao Chuang states in this video that the exaggerated scales are there on purpose to emphasize the differences between the scales on different parts on its body. I do like to view Wilson as a showcase of these features. :)

Seeing the 3D model of Wilson at 2:21 with the properly scaled scales is just Heaven!

Nice. I too don't mind the exaggerated scale sizes on this model too much, since it is indeed an interesting showcase for the (research on the) 'local' differences of scalation. And I like the textured feel of the model as well.

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on February 23, 2022, 07:59:14 AM
avatar_need4swede @need4swede I believe the newer version is only for sale for about a week now.

Oh ok! No wonder I can't find anything! Thanks for letting me know
- Swede

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 19, 2022, 06:08:05 PM

What I nice coincidence, it's what I wrote in my review:
https://www.paleo-nerd.com/reviews/pnso-tyrannosaurus-rex-2020-en/

And what we said during a live special about AMNH 5027 with the PNSO figure (IT with automatically translated subs):
https://youtu.be/_stMaNDEINk

that said, during a recent live about the 2022 Triceratops, I put Wilson and Andrea together: the latter feels incredibly natural in many aspects. and the online pictures don't give her justice.

SRF

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx since your video is over 2 hours long, can you give a time stamp of where in the video you guys discuss the integument?

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SRF on February 25, 2022, 02:08:45 PM
avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx since your video is over 2 hours long, can you give a time stamp of where in the video you guys discuss the integument?

From 2:08:28 to 2:09:22. It's a short bit because there's a detailed infographic on my review. Although such a display of what we know about skin impressions has a high educational value, it's clear it makes it look more like craftsmanship, so we're glad PNSO took an extra effort to create smaller scales.

Duna

Quote from: Mattyonyx on February 25, 2022, 07:01:33 PM
From 2:08:28 to 2:09:22. It's a short bit because there's a detailed infographic on my review. Although such a display of what we know about skin impressions has a high educational value, it's clear it makes it look more like craftsmanship, so we're glad PNSO took an extra effort to create smaller scales.
I've liked your video very much, with the small help of Youtube translation and the fact that being Spanish I can understand more Italian than I thought.  ;D

I suppose you have watched the video of this Mexican paleontologist in which he discusses (absolutely brilliantly) the feathering on tyrannosaurus rex. If not, I highly suggest you watch it (to sum up, he ends in the same conclussion as you have, but discusses brilliantly all those studios about integument, cladistics, phylogenetic fork, generalities and so) and probably as an Italian you will enjoy and understand most of it, but you can use the Automatic Translate option (only available when opening the video in Youtube website).

https://youtu.be/1IkaEIUhlQk

Mattyonyx

avatar_Duna @Duna Great Video! When talking about the integument on big theropods, I think it's not only about the scientific aspect (which is fundamental) but also about the artistic and commercial aspects, especially when it comes to models and figures. After a brief moment of glory for feathered tyrannosaurs (Safari Ltd., CollectA, etc.), the more conservative look regained its throne, and I must admit that, given the ongoing debate, it's understandable.

Personally, I'm not a fan of mohawks or feathers just along the back and tail. Also, it's mainly a T. rex problem, because paleoart (and now media depictions like Jurassic World Dominion) doesn't seem to have the same view with large creatures like Therizinosaurus.

Now, If I think about the idea of T. rex having a minimal integument that looked like elephant hair, how do you sculpt it on a model? After all, we don't see much hair on elephant models...

To me, the best example of how an integument should look on dinosaur models (when we don't have evidence) is the highly underrated Teratophoneus resin model by Vitae.

need4swede

Quote from: SidB on September 05, 2020, 01:52:40 PM
My version 3 Tyrannosaurus is finally showing signs of being tipsy. It isn't due to the lack of massiveness (relatively) or stiffness in the plastic in the legs, but rather due, apparently, to flexing in the toes of the right side foot. Ah, the curse of the theropods is striking again!

By the way, does anyone know of a good, economical source on eBay or otherwise of some clear plastic/acrylic rod to act as support for tipsy rexes?

S @SidB

Did you ever find a decent support? I got some drunk theropods on my shelf that I need to keep straight!
- Swede

SidB

Quote from: need4swede on April 07, 2022, 03:16:09 AM
Quote from: SidB on September 05, 2020, 01:52:40 PM
My version 3 Tyrannosaurus is finally showing signs of being tipsy. It isn't due to the lack of massiveness (relatively) or stiffness in the plastic in the legs, but rather due, apparently, to flexing in the toes of the right side foot. Ah, the curse of the theropods is striking again!

By the way, does anyone know of a good, economical source on eBay or otherwise of some clear plastic/acrylic rod to act as support for tipsy rexes?

S @SidB

Did you ever find a decent support? I got some drunk theropods on my shelf that I need to keep straight!
Well, here's the outcome, avatar_need4swede @need4swede - first of all, I re-arranged all my Safari and PNSO into two large sets of dioramas, exemplified in the picture below. Rocks and trees serve to hold up the recalcitrant theropods, as with Wilson #'s 2 and 3 below. No stands needed, of course.

Alternatively, I acquired these inexpensive clear plastic stands on eBay, that require some assembly. These come in different sizes and shapes, used to support various types of figures:

need4swede

Quote from: SidB on April 07, 2022, 12:28:03 PM
Alternatively, I acquired these inexpensive clear plastic stands on eBay, that require some assembly. These come in different sizes and shapes, used to support various types of figures:

Thank you for sharing your solution! Would you happen to have a link to those stands? All the ones I've found seem far too big.
- Swede

SenSx

Quote from: need4swede on April 07, 2022, 05:24:21 PM

Thank you for sharing your solution! Would you happen to have a link to those stands? All the ones I've found seem far too big.

Oh yes I'm interested as well, my Nanmu Carnotaurus just won't stand anymore alone, and I'm not going to buy a PNSO figure I don't want, just for a stand ><

Thanks

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on April 07, 2022, 06:22:44 PM
Quote from: need4swede on April 07, 2022, 05:24:21 PM

Oh yes I'm interested as well, my Nanmu Carnotaurus just won't stand anymore alone, and I'm not going to buy a PNSO figure I don't want, just for a stand ><

Thanks
avatar_need4swede @need4swede and avatar_SenSx @SenSx , I just checked on eBay under "Figure stands" and came up with a number of options. The one that I'm showing comes up several times on page two. I picked it because is seemed to be the smallest type, sold by several vendors and is very inexpensive.

JohannesB

When it arrived, it could stand very well without assistance:

A simple rod sticking out of a simple wooden base would do the trick, but I choose to make it a somewhat more elaborate base:

SRF

I came across this customised Wilson figure as Hank from Prehistoric Planet and it's just too gorgeous not to share here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd_H3ivKgg2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If this was a regular PNSO figure, it would be the best T. Rex figure for a long time even with the upcoming releases of other companies.

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on May 25, 2022, 06:19:19 PMI came across this customised Wilson figure as Hank from Prehistoric Planet and it's just too gorgeous not to share here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd_H3ivKgg2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Wow, that's a great looking Wilson!

Reminds me of the Rex from 'Prehistoric Planet'

- Swede

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: