You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bread's Collection (Bottom of Page 6 for Updated/Restart of my collection!

Started by Bread, June 27, 2020, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

I love your new adquisitions, the best of the best. I also try to collect only the figures I've known from my childhood, the most common species. I made an exception with the Atlasaurus, Bajadasaurus and Qianzhosaurus because they are too cool.

Halichoeres

Some excellent choices. Glad you were able to track down an Ankylosaurus that was to your liking.

As for your signature, are you hoping as I am for a Beelzebufo? I suppose 1:30 - 1:40 would be pretty tiny even for a monstrous frog.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Duna on May 30, 2022, 12:05:06 PMI love your new adquisitions, the best of the best. I also try to collect only the figures I've known from my childhood, the most common species. I made an exception with the Atlasaurus, Bajadasaurus and Qianzhosaurus because they are too cool.
Thank you, and yes I saw your amazing collection, always a treat to visit your collection thread. I understand the need to make exceptions, I am doing the same with a few species, some will be posted soon ;)

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2022, 10:14:31 PMSome excellent choices. Glad you were able to track down an Ankylosaurus that was to your liking.

As for your signature, are you hoping as I am for a Beelzebufo? I suppose 1:30 - 1:40 would be pretty tiny even for a monstrous frog.
Thank you!

I actually chose the Beelzebufo because I felt, out of all the prehistoric animals featured in the Prehistoric Planet, the Beelzebufo matched with Sir David Attenborough's quote/description of some prehistoric animals.

I would definitely acquire one, and no it wouldn't have to be 1/30 to 1/40 scale. I'd make an exception to acquire on that is at a much larger scale than usual. Would probably sit well with my Alligator skull.

Concavenator

Nice acquisitions, you have a fine taste. I have a similar story with the Eofauna Triceratops, I got the Cryptic first but wasn't super happy with the colors and traded it for the Dominant.

Quote from: Bread on May 29, 2022, 09:52:52 PM4. Popular or well-known species only. Few exceptions may ignore this rule down the line.

When you say well-known, are you referring to the completeness of the species' remains?

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 31, 2022, 12:08:41 AMNice acquisitions, you have a fine taste. I have a similar story with the Eofauna Triceratops, I got the Cryptic first but wasn't super happy with the colors and traded it for the Dominant.

Quote from: Bread on May 29, 2022, 09:52:52 PM4. Popular or well-known species only. Few exceptions may ignore this rule down the line.

When you say well-known, are you referring to the completeness of the species' remains?
Thank you. I am glad you got yours traded.

And actually, I am referring to how popular or well-known the genus is. Few exceptions apply. I'll fix this in my set of rules.

Bread

PNSO's Centrosaurus apertus (1/35)

I was a little confused with the species of this genus. Checked multiple threads and I couldn't find a confirmation to this figure's species (or specimen of the genus).

I consider this ceratopsian to be somewhat well-known. I have another ceratopsian figure on the way, definitely more popular than this one, but I have always found Centrosaurus to be more appealing and unique amongst other ceratopsians. And so this ceratopsian gets a pass on my rule 4.

Concavenator

Centrosaurus was in high need for decent figures. Thankfully PNSO (and BotM) delivered. I would say the average non-dino fan has probably never heard of Centrosaurus in their whole life, but it's easily one of the most well-understood and well-known species of dinosaur (C.apertus is the only known species of the genus) to science.

Quote from: Bread on May 31, 2022, 12:57:18 AMI have another ceratopsian figure on the way

Let me guess... PNSO Styracosaurus;)

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 31, 2022, 01:16:33 AMCentrosaurus was in high need for decent figures. Thankfully PNSO (and BotM) delivered. I would say the average non-dino fan has probably never heard of Centrosaurus in their whole life, but it's easily one of the most well-understood and well-known species of dinosaur (C.apertus is the only known species of the genus) to science.

Quote from: Bread on May 31, 2022, 12:57:18 AMI have another ceratopsian figure on the way

Let me guess... PNSO Styracosaurus;)
Yeah, I consider this genus to be well-known amongst dinosaur/prehistoric fauna fans. If anything, ceratopsians are just a well known group in general and easier to identify, in my opinion.

Maybe Styracosaurus, maybe not... we'll see ;D

Bread

Safari Ltd. Qianzhousaurus sinensis (~1/30)

*Found mixed scale calculations for this figure, from 1/25 to 1/35. I'll change it if necessary.

With Prehistoric Planet, this genus is for sure rising in the popularity chart. The addition of lips had me way more over joyed to pick this one up over PNSO's. Also the oversized scales, which sometimes bother me. In this case, it was really down to the lips.

Anyways, my only gripe with this genus, is really the lack of Alioramus figures we get now...

Halichoeres

I also prefer the Safari Qianzhousaurus to the PNSO, for similar reasons. The paint job is a bit blobbier but the sculpt is a lot nicer than the PNSO.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 31, 2022, 10:32:07 PMI also prefer the Safari Qianzhousaurus to the PNSO, for similar reasons. The paint job is a bit blobbier but the sculpt is a lot nicer than the PNSO.
Agreed. Even with the paint being a little sloppier than PNSO's, I prefer the coloration. Seems more natural.

Rebor's Stegosaurus  ungulatus (?) Juvenile and Adult "Garden" variant (~1/30)

So going back to my set of rules, I wanted the most accurate rendition of a genus on the market. Well, I am simply waving that rule away with this piece.

The colorscheme on this set alone, set the deal for me. Very appealing on my shelf and it always catches my eye. The head and the tail on the adult are pose-able with Rebor's clever rubber instruments.

Few issues I want to address, plus also more into why I chose this figure. The juvenile is for sure out of scale. The proportions represent a juvenile well above 1/30, maybe borderline 1/25 scale, plus the proportions represent an animal that was just born, the head mainly. If the juvenile was not accompanied by the adult, I wouldn't buy it, simply. However, with the adult paired up with the juvenile, they complement each other. Eye catching for sure. The adult is a little to big to be 1/35, the figure is more so 1/30 at least.

PNSO's Stegosaurus family set was an option, since it is more of an accurate rendition with the latest Sophie reconstruction. But for almost $70, it was an easier choice at the end of the day. Rebor's costing about $55, plus it comes with a spectacular base. Plus I just find Rebor's to be more appealing.

All in all, besides the accuracy issues, it is a beautiful and welcoming piece. One of Rebor's best in my opinion.

Edit: Down the line I may buy Safari's Stegosaurus and Allosaurus to pair with each other to represent those two popular genus's.

Darko2300

Where did you end up finding Rebor's Stego? And is this the 'Garden' variant or the 'Woodland' one? It seems like they've released it twice now, and I'm a little turned around. Either way you're right - it looks incredible!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.