News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2022

Started by Bread, October 24, 2021, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blnadal

P1S Giganotosaurus:

The painting looks off to me... I think Nanmu will be better

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 06, 2022, 02:58:31 PMHate is a strong word. I'm more disappointed really. I've stated this same opinion before in this thread but basically wanting a proper Ultimasaurus is part of it.  They started off well and that was the inspiration, it even has the JP/JW base aspects..fence and track for the cars.  Then the draconic elements were added ( I love dragons btw) and it was too much of a deviation as you couldn't see the dinosaur traits hardly at all. Then they started copying the RIC Xplus figures by adding elements you can light up that already looked like GODZILLA spines.  The whole thing has a Monster Hunter vibe that's just seen too much of in recent years. The really sad thing is I would have bought an Ultimasaurus, a dragon like maybe Smaug? and I would have bought a Godzilla by them. but all in one..I just can't even figure where in my collection it fits..it's worse than fan made kaiju..they are still intended to be kaiju so not Godzilla or Ultraman, ect..but they fit. This is just a bit bigger than a Tyrannosaur so it's not a huge monster.  I'm sure someone will buy it, I think I'm going to focus on David's Dragons though the ones he did for Mcfarlane were fantastic and the price should be similar if not better.

That makes perfect sense to me. In its pursuit to be a little bit of everything, it turned out to be much of nothing. I actually collect a lot of Smaug figures - I have all the ones from Weta (they're showing off a new one this week), so I can understand the disdain towards this figure. I did place an order for one, and will definitely share it on here when it arrives. I was just curious why it was so scrutinized. Makes sense now - thanks!
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on June 06, 2022, 09:47:24 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 06, 2022, 02:58:31 PMHate is a strong word. I'm more disappointed really. I've stated this same opinion before in this thread but basically wanting a proper Ultimasaurus is part of it.  They started off well and that was the inspiration, it even has the JP/JW base aspects..fence and track for the cars.  Then the draconic elements were added ( I love dragons btw) and it was too much of a deviation as you couldn't see the dinosaur traits hardly at all. Then they started copying the RIC Xplus figures by adding elements you can light up that already looked like GODZILLA spines.  The whole thing has a Monster Hunter vibe that's just seen too much of in recent years. The really sad thing is I would have bought an Ultimasaurus, a dragon like maybe Smaug? and I would have bought a Godzilla by them. but all in one..I just can't even figure where in my collection it fits..it's worse than fan made kaiju..they are still intended to be kaiju so not Godzilla or Ultraman, ect..but they fit. This is just a bit bigger than a Tyrannosaur so it's not a huge monster.  I'm sure someone will buy it, I think I'm going to focus on David's Dragons though the ones he did for Mcfarlane were fantastic and the price should be similar if not better.

That makes perfect sense to me. In its pursuit to be a little bit of everything, it turned out to be much of nothing. I actually collect a lot of Smaug figures - I have all the ones from Weta (they're showing off a new one this week), so I can understand the disdain towards this figure. I did place an order for one, and will definitely share it on here when it arrives. I was just curious why it was so scrutinized. Makes sense now - thanks!

very welcome.  I swear they teased a Smaug figure years ago..would love to see that happen.  What's your favorite figure/statue so far of him?  I've passed on previous versions for one reason or another.

blnadal

off topic but here is the new Smaug you both were talking about:

Bread

Holy guacamole that is amazing. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, of course for the right price and quality control is top-notch.

Blade-of-the-Moon

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2022, 04:38:30 AMvery welcome.  I swear they teased a Smaug figure years ago..would love to see that happen.  What's your favorite figure/statue so far of him?  I've passed on previous versions for one reason or another.

My favorite one is probably 'Smaug the Terrible'

Spoiler
[close]

I have all the Weta figures of Smaug, with the exception of the gold version of the Mini Epic (I prefer the original color scheme)

Spoiler
[close]

I'm not expecting this figure to be cheap - in the $1,000+ range I would reckon, but we'll see in a few hours. My 'Smaug the Terrible' figure was around $750 + tax/shipping, and this looks to be more complicated to make than that one was. I wouldn't expect it to sell for anything less, especially knowing they [Weta] will have no problem selling out.

EDIT: It costs $1,299
- Swede

Sturisoma

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:4778029776568382

A Rexy paint app on the Future King. Limited to 1,000 copies.

I like the base, but I already have Future King, and the beautifully colored Mountain King. If only they offer the base only for separate purchase, but I think it's a hope in vain...

Carnoking

A bit disappointing I will say. Much as I don't care for the Dragon Soul series, I was hoping Nanmu was planning a full revisit to the original JP rex with this one, thus rounding out the original lineup in resin.
As is, this just feels like they're trying to squeeze the Future King mold for everything it's worth but there's something about rexy's colors on the buck's body that feels a bit off putting.

Over9K

They told people there wouldn't be a brown version of the Buck... and then they pull this. Oh well, they'll sell the 1000, but not to me. I was thinking of getting a second one too, pick up the Mountain King colorway.

EDIT: And what's with the Spinosaurus base? Rexy never fought the Spinosaurus...

Sturisoma

Quote from: Over9K on June 09, 2022, 02:03:58 AMThey told people there wouldn't be a brown version of the Buck... and then they pull this. Oh well, they'll sell the 1000, but not to me. I was thinking of getting a second one too, pick up the Mountain King colorway.

EDIT: And what's with the Spinosaurus base? Rexy never fought the Spinosaurus...

I wondered the same as Mountain King is brown  :))

Bread

Hm... maybe I am in the minority here, but I like it. I never got the Mountain Variant because of a mix up, but I don't mind picking up this "Rexy" color scheme. If I can acquire one without staying up late or watching the computer 24/7 then I'll be happy, but definitely not a priority.

Smart move in my opinion for Nanmu to pull. They know this has been selling well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on June 08, 2022, 04:56:39 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2022, 04:38:30 AMvery welcome.  I swear they teased a Smaug figure years ago..would love to see that happen.  What's your favorite figure/statue so far of him?  I've passed on previous versions for one reason or another.

My favorite one is probably 'Smaug the Terrible'

Spoiler
[close]

I have all the Weta figures of Smaug, with the exception of the gold version of the Mini Epic (I prefer the original color scheme)

Spoiler
[close]

I'm not expecting this figure to be cheap - in the $1,000+ range I would reckon, but we'll see in a few hours. My 'Smaug the Terrible' figure was around $750 + tax/shipping, and this looks to be more complicated to make than that one was. I wouldn't expect it to sell for anything less, especially knowing they [Weta] will have no problem selling out.

EDIT: It costs $1,299

About as much as a P1 but not bad.

My favorite was a non film version by the Franklin Mint, I loved that one til my cousin knocked it over and it went in the trash. :/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on June 09, 2022, 01:24:51 AMhttps://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:4778029776568382

A Rexy paint app on the Future King. Limited to 1,000 copies.

I like the base, but I already have Future King, and the beautifully colored Mountain King. If only they offer the base only for separate purchase, but I think it's a hope in vain...

Easy pass for me, it's a male Rex painted brown like a female JP Rex. Seems like a cash grab after the Brachiosaurus fiasco and how hard they ae pushing Mordred.

Darko2300

I wasn't impressed with the pose of this piece when it was first shown, changed my mind and bought it, and then really didn't like it person, either. 😄 The sculpting is great, but the way it's hunched over like that gives it this - 'hunchbacked look' that's terribly unappealing. Fortunately for me, our cleaning lady likes to buy things from me that I no longer want to try and resell so I was able to pass the debacle onto someone else. Not buying it in brown either, Nanmu. Fool me once... 😁

blnadal

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 09, 2022, 06:39:01 AMAbout as much as a P1 but not bad.

My favorite was a non film version by the Franklin Mint, I loved that one til my cousin knocked it over and it went in the trash. :/

Yeah it's honestly not a bad price at all, considering it's large size and beautiful sculpt/paint. The fact that it's form Weta makes this as close to 'Made in Middle-Earth' as it gets.

Oh man, are you referring to this one?

Spoiler
[close]

A gorgeous tribute to the King under the Mountain! Sorry to hear it had to be scrapped. I don't see many around these days.

Quote from: Sturisoma on June 09, 2022, 01:24:51 AMA Rexy paint app on the Future King. Limited to 1,000 copies.

I think it'll sell just fine - but the artificial scarcity just tells me they need to incentivize people to buy it for reasons other than what the figure itself has to offer collectors. I'm not too disappointed though - Nanmu has produced enough figures that interested me enough to buy that making a few that I don't care much for is alright by me, especially if they can profit enough from them to produce the figures that I would actually want - like the upcoming Spino, which is looking great so far.

A pass for me, but if you don't already have the 'Once and Future King' and the brown color matches your collection's aesthetic, I see this is a great buy for some. To each their own.
- Swede

Sturisoma

Now we will see how Nanmu will translate feathers on their figures. But I wish they release Supplanter 2.0 ASAP! Still in "production plan." Too much teasing already  :))

Carnoking

They better push this out quickly if they want to cash in on the hype.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: