News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2022

Started by Bread, October 24, 2021, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinodamage

I just want that albino spino... don't usually go for the JP3 spino (when it comes to shelf space, gotta go with the rexes) but I have an affinity for albino animals so I'm a sucker.

Could care less about the JWD Giga. The design doesn't do anything for me, and the character's presence was surprisingly underwhelming. The Therizinosaur, however... might be the best dinosaur design in JW series, period, other than the Indoraptor. Excited to see how that comes along

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking thanks for the amazing pics! Agree re: Dino minifigs, I would do a flip if I never had to worry about another Nanmu human figure I didn't want on my shelf, just ends up being a waste

Joliezac

Hopefully there will be a PVC release for the spino. And that it is available for purchase in September, not just for preorder. I'm not a huge fan of the Dominion giga but I do have a soft spot for that species so I may get it depending on price. Although I am very excited for the therizinosaurus, I thought that was the best dinosaur from the movie.

Carnoking

The standard release (roaring JP3 variant and Albino) will most certainly be PVC while the Dragon Soul release will be the new specialized resin that looks only marginally better but will cost near double the standard release.

As far as the Giganotosaurus goes, as much as I'm not a fan of the design or how it was shoehorned into the film, it's a part of the Jurassic legacy now and I'll probably be picking it up at some point. Here's hoping they at least have the foresight to pose both the Giga and the Theri (which I actually loved and am looking forward to seeing it done in model form) in a way that will play off of one another so we can create a showdown through our displays.

Sturisoma

I hope the theri will be in PVC. If the Dragon Soul spino will yield good shipping survival results, that might incentivize Nanmu into making a Dragon Soul theri with the same hybrid resin material. Those delicate nails I reckon would be a challenge in shipping. I'm afraid instead of getting a "tickle chicken," there may be buyers who will receive a "fistbump chicken" instead  :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on June 22, 2022, 07:11:56 AMI hope the theri will be in PVC. If the Dragon Soul spino will yield good shipping survival results, that might incentivize Nanmu into making a Dragon Soul theri with the same hybrid resin material. Those delicate nails I reckon would be a challenge in shipping. I'm afraid instead of getting a "tickle chicken," there may be buyers who will receive a "fistbump chicken" instead  :))

I'm sure there will be a resin/DS variant of it. The body could be resin and the claws PVC. Or they could pack them separate?

Sturisoma

"Good weekend, friends.
Today, we will announce a group of pictures of Carnotaurus's color scheme of 2.0.
In addition, the product belongs to the "Soul of the Dragon" series after the decision of the studio.
The whole body of the product is made of new polymer material resin
, especially such as the head and tail, and the forelimbs are made of flexible anti-fracture material, which preserves more details of the product and enhances the anti-falling performance than the ordinary resin PU statue, which can effectively prevent the article loss caused by the general physical collision.
Thanks to the optimization of the sales system of the company's series of products, the final price will satisfy most people, and there is no need to worry because it is the statue products that bring too much economic pressure."

Hmmm... both will be resin? I assumed only the roaring horn damaged one would be resin, while the closed mouth will be pvc.

Sturisoma

Carnoking

Oh Nanmu, Nanmu, Nanmu, Nanmu. Tsk, tsk tsk.
Quote from: Sturisoma on June 25, 2022, 07:13:16 AMthe product belongs to the "Soul of the Dragon" series after the decision of the studio.
The whole body of the product is made of new polymer material resin

Darko2300

I love trying to decode just what exactly they're saying.  ;D

Carnoking

They have confirmed through comments on Instagram that there will be no PVC release of this Carnotaurus and that both will be part of the Dragon Soul series. This is exactly what I did not want to see happen once Nanmu started going down the resin rabbit hole, and it baffles me how consistently they manage to make the wrong call.

LBDINO

Quote from: Carnoking on June 25, 2022, 02:27:36 PMThey have confirmed through comments on Instagram that there will be no PVC release of this Carnotaurus and that both will be part of the Dragon Soul series. This is exactly what I did not want to see happen once Nanmu started going down the resin rabbit hole, and it baffles me how consistently they manage to make the wrong call.

What a bizarre decision by them, I am no expert dont own any resin figures but the pvc was fine did the job. If they wanted to do resin they should have just continued to offer both. Is pvc more expensive then resin? Or easier to work with? From there video that resin there using seems better but still a odd choice why fix whats not broken 🤷�♂️

Carnoking

Resin is supposed to preserve the detail better and be more rigid to prevent warping over time. This comes with its own unique risks though, which we all saw first-hand a couple months back.

Regarding the argument for better preserved detail, I don't think Nanmu's detailing was lacking before they started doing resin (and of the pieces I own, the difference between the pvc and resin is negligible*). Meanwhile, the whole "it's sturdier" argument doesn't hold water when you consider the fact that the Giganotosaurus and Buck (both PVC) stand just fine with the reinforced PVC. Between the debacle with the brach and the fact that many people wound up passing on the new fence given that it's resin (and as a result, way too expensive), it seems odd to me that Nanmu is choosing to double down on the material. I'm sure this will further limit their sales in the long run.

*the exception here is the sick trike. The detail on that figure far and away exceeds that of the standard release but beyond that, I can't say I notice much of a difference between the other dual releases.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nanmu is just confusing me anymore with these decisions. I mean I'll buy both, they are the superior JW Carnotaurus on the market currently.  I wonder if the reality of this is that they just figured this would be less popular and so made the call to only offer the one version instead of wasting funds on a pvc one? I mean they ARE doing the Spinosaurus in both..so it's a weird call to be sure.  I just hope they aren't in so much trouble they can't dig themselves out of it.

Carnoking

Even then, I'm not sure how accurate this carno even is. There's something uncanny about it to my eye, looks borderline a T. rex with horns.

blnadal

Joliezac

Ugh, I was really looking forward to this carno... But only a resin release??? It looks to be sturdier but I still rather have the PVC. I don't want to start spending $100+ on these figures.

Takama

Vote with your wallets

I gave up on this company

Farwell Nanmu ::)

Sturisoma

Have you all seen the carno abuse videos they posted?  :)) I appreciate the R&D they made but really I think PVC is just fine. The details in their PVC and resin brachiosaurus was fine to me, just that the resin was in an awesome and nostalgic pose. This reminds me of a joke about the USA investing millions on a pen that can work in space without gravity, but the Russians simply used a pencil because it worked.  :)) We will just see if the new hybrid resin material will really make the details pop more.

Personally I would have preferred the usual 1 resin Dragon Soul version and 1 PVC version. This Ranger 2.0 has the same pose. Just changed the head, base, and colors. Would have been tempted to buy both if they were posed differently, like baryonyx. I will buy only the roaring version.

Anyway, they did say this:
Quote"Thanks to the optimization of the sales system of the company's series of products, the final price will satisfy most people, and there is no need to worry because it is the statue products that bring too much economic pressure"

I wonder what they mean with "most people". Maybe the domestic Chinese market not too much affected by unconscionable shipping fees?

Anyway for some good news, here is a new picture of Supplanter 2.0 Dragon Soul. I know that patience is a virtue but I just cannot wait for Supplanter 2.0!!! :D

Sturisoma

"Dynamic design will be completed in July and will be divided into two versions: fanaticism and Soul of the Dragon.
If you have good, practical suggestions that meet the needs of more players, you can leave a message below.
PS: this is a monster. Please don't advise us to change it to the one dug up in the museum."

Oohhh I like this! The word "fanaticism" I believe should be "fantasy" as in not "scientifically accurate." There are fanatics in both the scientific accurate camp and movie monster/fantasy camp. Just a bit of mistranslation I suppose  :))  I think the "fantasy" version will be in PVC?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems like they are pushing this one forward fast.   Looks good to me, I don't really see anything they should change aside from getting the sculpt as accurate as possible.

Takama mentioned mouth mouth articulation on their facebook post which I wouldn't mind.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: