News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Darko2300 @Darko2300 Yep. Definitely planning on getting both like mentioned in my instagram post. They'd make a great pair, with one having cooler tones, and the other with warmer tones.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Definitely feels that way, though I also loved the bearded vulture Velociraptor from the start (even if it was a bit of a paleo meme). It was my second choice after the Philippine Eagle for Utahraptor, so I'm really glad David used it on this one. Both were my picks as they are among the largest extant birds of prey. That said I do wonder what might get colored like the Philippine Eagle, if anything, down the road.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Dakotaraptor is still available for the Philippines eagle. So is Austroraptor, which I'd prefer more.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

I too thought of Dakotaraptor for the Philippine eagle colouration.  There's Latenivenatrix also.  I too would like an Austroraptor from BotM, but I think a water-dwelling bird would be a better colour inspiration for it than the Philippine eagle.

suspsy

Deinonychus is also a prime candidate.

SpartanSquat

https://twitter.com/Beast_SculptKit/status/1535299407289147394?t=t9tht_xMTA70hq5XcIkkuw&s=19
Some of the dragons for cyberzoic line

For now Im not a big fan of the art direction of these. Looks out of the place with the dinosaur accurate look. Maybe photos of the figures will change my mind. Now since Silvas is mixing dinosaurs, cenozoic and fantasy creatures, why not add some paleozoic fellas like Gorgonops, Dimetrodon, Scutosaurus, Titanophoneus or Moschops

Eocarcharia

avatar_SpartanSquat @RolandEden You beat me by 1 second.

Well, for anyone who can't/doesn't want to go on twitter:
Quote from: Creative Beast StudioSo far for Cyberzoic, we've seen plenty of armored dinosaurs, but today it's time to check out some dragons! Here are some dragon concepts designed specifically for the Fire Clan. Due to their harsh environments, these dragons represent some of the most adaptable and most aggressive species on the planet. Not unlike their human allies.

Rank your top designs in the comments! Concept art by Raph Lomotan.

Darko2300

I picked Number 2 as my 'favorite' but generally-speaking, I can't say I really care for any of these. They remind me a bit too much of Monster Hunter / Pacific Rim, which is definitely not my thing. I'm in this line for the Dinosaurs! 😁

terrorchicken

yeah I prefer my dragons with a more traditional look, these are too alien looking for my tastes. So Id pick 2, 5, maybe 8 if it had wings.

Faelrin

9 gives me real Kenner Ultimasaurus vibes so that's a must for me. I do like all the others too though. I guess I'd also pick 10, 3 (angry cat vibes, lol), and 4, assuming they were sculpted and I could afford them all (or had space for them), haha. I do like how unique all of them are. As much as I love my classic fantasy dragons, I do like to see some other fresh designs, especially since this takes place on an alien planet anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

4 and 6 look way too much like Pacific Rim monsters. 9 is pretty cool, though.

stargatedalek

I really like 1, 5, and especially 7! But all of them are pretty decent. 6 is the least interesting by far for me, as the others all have some degree of dinosaur/pterosaur/bird influence but it looks almost mammalian.

Carnoking

As much a monster movie fan as I am a dinosaur fan, I'm delighted by these designs. Some look like they'd be right at home with GdT's Pacific Rim Kaiju, and for that I can get excited. I don't know that I'm willing to spring that kind of money for a non-dinosaur figure, but David has at least won over my interest in the other creatures of Cyberzoic now

suspsy

I'd certainly like to see any of the winged dragons go to production simply because I'm keen to see how well David can pull off articulated wings.

Creature

As a huge Pacific Rim fangirl, I'm so into these designs. Nothing beats that gorgeous Arctic dragon yet, but these look awesome.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

suspsy

I prefer traditional European-style dragons myself. Although really, it's a moot point in the end given that I have zero intention of purchasing a single Cyberzoic dragon. I'm only interested in the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals.

Who knows, perhaps by the time Cyberzoic becomes a real thing in 2023 or 2024 or beyond, there actually will be a Fantasy Beast Toy Blog that the dragons can be reviewed on. They're certainly not eligible to be reviewed on the DTB.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on June 11, 2022, 07:06:58 PMWho knows, perhaps by the time Cyberzoic becomes a real thing in 2023 or 2024 or beyond, there actually will be a Fantasy Beast Toy Blog that the dragons can be reviewed on. They're certainly not eligible to be reviewed on the DTB.
The blog has reviews of fictional species from the Ice Age movies, Jurassic World/Chaos Effect hybrids, and several other misc examples of creatures from lines like Primal Rage. There is precedent for fictional extinct creatures being on the blog.

It seems silly to suggest the lore would be a deciding factor on whether these end up being fit for submission or not, but that context is the reason those other examples fit. We can have this discussion seriously when it's revealed what the context behind the dragons inclusion is (they might be made using dinosaur DNA, or might be meant to be a lost lineage of extinct creatures not known from fossils), but it doesn't feel right to exclude them wholesale while Scrat and the Indominus rex get a pass.

If it turns out they aren't meant to be extinct or somehow made from extinct animals? Then I'd also be leaning no.

CityRaptor

Aren't the dragons alien creatures according to the backstory?...or rather the humans and dinosaurs are the aliens here.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Eocarcharia

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 12, 2022, 12:35:38 AMAren't the dragons alien creatures according to the backstory?...or rather the humans and dinosaurs are the aliens here.
Yes, that's correct.

It's also worth noting that these dragon designs are specific to the Fire Clan, so we'll likely see different, some more traditional, designs for the other clans.

Sim

I got the impression the dragons were exclusive to the dragon clan, now they are present in all clans? ???  I can't avoid thinking David is making too much for Cyberozic and that it won't be as successful as some might hope.  I would have preferred if he had stuck with Beasts of the Mesozoic only.

Eocarcharia

Well, there shouldn't be any dragons in the Tech Clan, seeing as the two are enemies. The Fire Clan has been said to have an uneasy alliance with some of the dragons, and of course the Dragon Clan is cool with the dragons too, albeit different ones (I would think). The others remain to be seen, but I doubt they'll be getting the figure treatment for quite awhile.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: