News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Metriacanthosaurid tails were depicted like that for a bit, but when better material (ie. somebody scanned some Chinese pubblications no one bothered before) it surfaced they have thicker, more normal tail. Compare this depiction of Yangchuanosaurus:

With this, realized using the newer scans

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

JohannesB

I think tails are sometimes being reconstructed too thinly, especially in bipedal dinosaurs. I assume there are studies that take into account all kinds of factors (how much muscle and fat, total weight in relation to the rest of the body so as to aid in balance, and other things) to come to a conclusion about the thickness and weight of the tail. PNSO did not take those into account, it seems.

Leyster

avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB this would be the case was it the tail too compressed laterally, but the problem is more of its dorsoventral height. The chevrons simply do not fit.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

L @Leyster It's odd they depicted the Sinraptor with such a thin tail, then, when their Yangchuanosaurus from (more than?) 3 years ago had a more normal tail.

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I think they used Paul's restoration, which has a normal tail (he based it on Allosaurus I suppose). Fun thing is that Paul has a S.hepingensis too (his supposed "adult Yangchuanosaurus", we have an adult Yangchuanosaurus and it looks nothing like that), and it has a normal tail too. So PNSO switched to Paul to other sources in the more recent years.

Carnoking

Fergus in the house! I had my concerns about this one when the promo images were revealed but I think it's safe to say all of my misgivings were misguided! This is an awesome figure!

I particularly enjoy pairing him with the REBOR Deinonychus clan and Tenontosaurus carcass!

Stegotyranno420

Congrats avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking ! This is one of their best figures, save for how he's a bit thin and narrow. Looking forward to your review

Sim

Seeing the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus with the REBOR diorama, it looks a lot more natural than the REBOR Acrocanthosaurus.  REBOR tends to not be able to make prehistoric animals that look natural.

Concavenator

Behold the new PNSO Suchomimus accesories:

Spoiler

[close]
No information regarding price or release date yet.

ceratopsian

Generally I'm a PNSO fan - but I don't find these bases appealing.  I can see they could be useful for marine animals though.

Darko2300

Huh. Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I'll bite. (Although does this mean they'll stop including stands with their figures in an attempt to get people to purchase these sets? That might irk me more than a little. 😒)

EmperorDinobot

I am *this* close to opening up a shelf for PNSO animals... I want to start with some smaller, aquatic or semi-aquatic animals. Any recommendations? They can be anything and from any period.

Gwangi

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 14, 2022, 10:35:44 PMI am *this* close to opening up a shelf for PNSO animals... I want to start with some smaller, aquatic or semi-aquatic animals. Any recommendations? They can be anything and from any period.

I think the Atopodentatus fits that description. It's not smaller per se, but it's a semi-aquatic animal and at about $20 one of their more affordable offerings. Plus it's just a great figure of a neat animal.

EDIT: I should mention the Eurhinosaurus too which is quite small and also in the $20 price range.

EmperorDinobot

I own the Eurhinosaurus, avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi. It is the only one I own, and it is beautiful. I was thinking of Atopodentatus, and I also wanted the Henodus.

CarnotaurusKing

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot there's also the Dakosaurus, which is (I believe) a bit smaller than the Atopodentatus. Those two are also in the mini-line, along with other aquatic animals, like Keichousaurus, Ectenosaurus and Himalayasaurus (though there's also a medium-sized vinyl model of the latter).

ceratopsian

Quote from: Gwangi on June 14, 2022, 11:28:35 PM......

I think the Atopodentatus fits that description. It's not smaller per se, but it's a semi-aquatic animal and at about $20 one of their more affordable offerings. Plus it's just a great figure of a neat animal.

EDIT: I should mention the Eurhinosaurus too which is quite small and also in the $20 price range.

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot - I don't collect many marine animals, but these are the two medium range PNSO aquatics that I own. I love them both, especially the Atodentatus - it has such a beautiful swirling pose. (My Eurhinosaurus doesn't have the iridescent sheen of the promo images.)

EmperorDinobot

Really, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian ? Mine is quite shiny. It is one of the things that drew me to it. Mine is as shiny as the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus. I had been meaning to review it, but life got in the way.

C @CarnotaurusKing Dakosaurus has been in my list for quite some time. Hopefully I will be able to get one soon.

ceratopsian

Yes really!  I was surprised and initially a bit disappointed when I took it out of its box. It's quite matt, avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot. Maybe it missed some final process at the factory...

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 15, 2022, 11:29:16 AMReally, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian ? Mine is quite shiny. It is one of the things that drew me to it. Mine is as shiny as the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus. I had been meaning to review it, but life got in the way.

C @CarnotaurusKing Dakosaurus has been in my list for quite some time. Hopefully I will be able to get one soon.

Eocarcharia

Remeber when PNSO made natural diorama bases? Pepperidge Farm remebers.

On the subject of marine animals, I agree that the Eurhinosauus is surprisingly fantastic. I can't speak for the Atopodentatus as I don't have it. I do own and quite like the Cretoxyrhina, though.

Bread

Quote from: Eocarcharia on June 15, 2022, 01:17:42 PMRemeber when PNSO made natural diorama bases? Pepperidge Farm remebers.
Ahhh yes... Miss those bases! I've always been bitter about how PNSO never adds those bases anymore to their Museum Line figures, yet we're still paying the same price as the old museum line figures. Those bases always separated the museum line figures from the medium size line.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: