News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Bread on June 15, 2022, 01:28:05 PMI've always been bitter about how PNSO never adds those bases anymore to their Museum Line figures, yet we're still paying the same price as the old museum line figures.

At this point I think it's fairly obvious the Museum Line is literally the same as the Prehistoric Animal Models Line but with (even) more paper and a fancier (?) box. Such a difference in price between those 2 lines is totally unjustified imo. And this comes from someone who likes some accesories with their figures. Sure, I would gladly take a collector card, a bit of information...that's nice (what's included with the Prehistoric Animal Models line is more than enough I'd say), but what's included with the Museum Line is simply exaggerated and I don't care for it, especially if it's involved in steeping the price that much on already expensive figures.

Regarding those accesories I posted... For me those bases have no value. Granted, I don't care for bases in general, I'd rather my figures lack them, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate some well made bases like their older ones, or the bases used by GR Toys or Vitae. At least those have aesthetic value, and lend for a nicer display. However, what I would find very useful is they offered the possibility to buy those acrylic stands they include with their bipeds/marine stuff alone. They would come handy for other figures with stability issues (or imagine you lost the acrylic stands for their respective PNSO figures). That would be interesting, and I hope they would consider it.

Medzo

Quote from: Concavenator on June 15, 2022, 02:03:28 PMAt this point I think it's fairly obvious the Museum Line is literally the same as the Prehistoric Animal Models Line but with (even) more paper and a fancier (?) box. Such a difference in price between those 2 lines is totally unjustified imo.

I beg to differ. We knew this all along. I myself adore the extra packaging quality that comes with the Museum Line, altough I'm mostly satisfied with the standard line boxing as well - if it delivers unharmed.

Carnoking

Just got PNSO's new Sinraptor. I'll admit, it's a bit of an odd duck but not without a unique charm.

Certainly not the strongest follow up to the dope Acrocanthosaurus.

But hey, at least it's got a better look than Vitae's shoe leather sculpt.

SidB

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking , yes the quality of the Sinraptor sculpt is sharply better than the Vitae one, though I'm keeping the latter in my diorama, since following L @Leyster 's observation, I'm using one as S. dongi, the other as S. hupingensis. Still the improvement is noticeable, analogous to the dramatically better sculpt detailing of the PNSO Sinoceratops over against the Vitae Sinoceratops.

PrimevalRaptor

Not really a fan of that 'snaggletoothed' look on the Sinraptor, would have been MUCH better with some semblance of lips or at least something like the Acro imo but I do gotta say the sculpt itself and the pose is really pleasant to look at, very natural.

dragon53

Video: The Story of Creating Fergus the Acrocanthosaurus.

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.).

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajWzFUORpnw

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 30, 2022, 12:15:09 AMYour first point is relevant for the primitive feathers of emus and Tyrannosaurs. Deinocheirus as an ornithomimid would have had the ability for more derived feathers with traditional shafts (even though ornithomimids typically have more primitive feathers on their bodies, they show the presence of both), which transport blood along them and absolutely, provably, do allow animals to disperse internally generated heat.

No, it didn't have three foot long strands of shaggy sloth clumps, that's just not how feathers (even relatively primitive ones) grow. But it also fundamentally should not be depicted as bald or scaled, and there is no serious reason to think it would have been feathered to any extent less than birds, therizinosaurs, etc.

My understanding is feathers only have a blood supply while they are growing, so I'm not sure they would be used to disperse heat as they would be curled up next to the animal's skin.

The type of feathers ornithomimosaurs have is not clear due to poor preservation.  There is no evidence they had pennaceous feathers, the argument that they did was based on carbonised marks left on the forelimbs of Dromiceiomimus but it has been pointed out filamentous feathers can leave those marks too, for example the single quill-like wing feathers of a cassowary.

It's reasonable to think Deinocheirus was featherless, and Therizinosaurus too.

stargatedalek

I dearly hope you are never put in charge of caring for a bird. Their feathers absolutely have blood in them and birds can even bleed significantly or become infected if they are damaged or removed improperly.

Sim

I've looked in more than one place and what I've found is a feather only has blood in it while growing, once it's mature it's a dead unit, like hair.  Here's one place that says that: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/pin-or-blood-feathers-in-birds

Sim

Also, avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek, your comment about how you hope I never get put in charge of caring for a bird was uncalled for.

Rain

I'm no avian expert but I took a ton of animal physiology and biomechanics courses during my degree and I don't think I ever, once, heard of fully developed feathers having a blood supply, only pin feathers as Sim mentions.

Hey, maybe I just had a sub-par education

Gwangi

avatar_Sim @Sim is correct here, feathers only have a blood supply while growing. Speaking from experience, I've trimmed the wings of many birds without ever seeing a drop of blood. If a growing "blood feather" is broken it can certainly be a serious problem.

suspsy

I wonder when the next reveal will drop. Sure would be a welcome change if it wasn't a dinosaur. Or at least a dinosaur that isn't a big theropod, a big ceratopsian, a big ornithopod, or a big thyreophoran.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GiganotosaurusFan

We already got the list of releases, remember?
Do you hope Lingwulong is next? Personally, I would like Suchomimus next.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

SidB

Quote from: GiganotosaurusFan on July 05, 2022, 06:05:18 AMWe already got the list of releases, remember?
Do you hope Lingwulong is next? Personally, I would like Suchomimus next.
Was that official, or rumored?

Duck

What's the full rumored list? I didn't even know there was a new one
He who dwells in pond

Concavenator

S @SidB avatar_Duck @Duck

Check this out:

Quote from: Faras on May 26, 2022, 03:47:44 PMHmm I'd take Paleofiguras' rumours with a grain of salt, as I don't know if all info (namely ichthyosaur and plesiosaur in this case) came from trusted source.

Meanwhile the Chinese forum moderator who posed previous list wrote some stuffs in WeChat group:

Sauropods (no clue of the scales as he didn't ask)
Lingwulong
Suchomimus

Again, just *rumours* ;)

Medzo

May be an unpopular opinion, but I want a couple of sauropods to be ~1:35 as well so I could display them with the other 1:35 pieces I have.

I reckon PNSO has evolved enough to create a Huanghetitan sized model with even better quality now.

Darko2300

Quote from: Medzo on July 05, 2022, 10:49:34 PMMay be an unpopular opinion, but I want a couple of sauropods to be ~1:35 as well so I could display them with the other 1:35 pieces I have.

I reckon PNSO has evolved enough to create a Huanghetitan sized model with even better quality now.
Wait. Why is this an unpopular opinion? Bring on the titans!

GiganotosaurusFan

Because of this issue, this great plague, called not enough shelf space!  :)  :)
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: