News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Concavenator’s Paleoart

Started by Concavenator, December 30, 2014, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Concavenator corcovatus (Ortega, Escaso & Sanz, 2010)

A new member of the Carcharodontosauridae family, Meraxes gigas was announced yesterday, but here's a portrait of one of its relatives, the smaller Concavenator corcovatus that lived in the Early Cretaceous of what is now Spain, Europe.

The integument on this one is tricky, and depends on how you interpret the quill knobs. I decided to give it a feathered look after all...Elena Cuesta, who did her PhD thesis on this theropod, believes some sort of structure was present on the arms...so in my case, I think giving it a feathered look is the safest bet.

Concavenator

Eotyrannus lengi (Hutt et al., 2001)

Here's my new reconstruction of this british basal tyrannosauroid (based on the skeletal featured in the new paper by Darren Naish & Andrea Cau), from the Barremian Stage of the Early Cretaceous, found in what is now the Isle of Wight, UK.

The colours were inspired by the european pine marten (Martes martes).

Concavenator

Deleted.

Stegotyranno420

Very happy to see you try a new medium for art :)

Concavenator

Deleted.

Halichoeres

The Jurassic period, when tyrannosaurs were still cool! ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Meraxes gigas (Canale et al., 2022)

Okay, so everyone was making paleoart of the new carcharodontosaurid Meraxes, so I jumped on the bandwagon, too. Based on the skeletal from the paper. This is also my first time at a full-body sketch on Sketchbook (and digital art, for that matter).

Utahraptor ostrommaysi (Kirkland et al., 1993)

Based on Hartman's 2017 skeletal. Aside from Utahraptor being a really cool dinosaur, I thought I'd do my tiny bit of sharing and letting people know about "The Utahraptor Project". If you don't know about it already, take a look at their Facebook page!

Concavenator

Kentrosaurus aethiopicus (Hennig, 1915)

My favorite stegosaur. Based on Hartman's 2015 skeletal. For the coloration, I was inspired by the desert horned lizard (Phrynosoma platyrhinos) for the body, and I based the plates' coloration on a ladybug's (Coccinella septempunctata) elytra.

This is my 2nd attempt at a full-body digital sketch, and also my first try at drawing a stegosaur of any sort. Dang, this took a while to do!

Stegotyranno420

Woah, you improved drastically!

Concavenator

Thank you!  :) avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420

Halichoeres

I've held a desert horned lizard! Excellent choice for inspiration.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Kentrosaurus colour scheme reminds me of some African art, intentional or not. Which could be fitting for an African dinosaur I suppose. I like seeing more colour on Stegosaurs too, they should have more display I think.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres that's cool! And funnily enough, I didn't know that species before. For some reason, I've always envisioned the Tendaguru formation as being relatively arid and I also wanted to take inspiration from a lizard, so I literally Google searched: desert lizard. And so I found it.  :))

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx yeah, especially because of the paleoart meme of stegosaurs always being depicted as green with red plates!

Concavenator

Tlatolophus galorum (Ramírez-Velasco et al., 2021)

Here's a rough sketch of the beautiful lambeosaurine hadrosaurid Tlatolophus galorum, hailing from the Campanian of Mexico, and formally described in 2021. Colours based off the scarlet macaw (Ara macao), a parrot species also found in Mexico. Based on @tiempodetitanes ' skeletal (check it out, as well as their amazing work).

References:

https://twitter.com/TiempoTitanes/status/1394027550372999169?s=20&t=oQVrRbExpLxwEliLj4Zdtw

Ramírez Velasco, A. A., Aguilar, F. J., Hernández-Rivera, R., Gudiño Maussán, J. L., Lara Rodríguez, M., & Alvarado-Ortega, J. (2021). Tlatolophus galorum, gen. et sp. nov., a parasaurolophini dinosaur from the upper Campanian of the Cerro del Pueblo Formation, Coahuila, northern Mexico. Cretaceous Research, 126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2021.104884

Aerosteon

I especially like the line of colors of the nasar appendage, I really like the color pattern works in dinosaurs

Concavenator

Thank you avatar_Aerosteon @Aerosteon  ^-^ And yeah, dinosaurs could've been more colourful than they're usually depicted!

Concavenator

Deleted.

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Halichoeres

I like that you're using a mix of palettes. While some dinosaurs were surely very colorful, it's likely that many were relatively muted.

Concavenator

Thank you H @HD-man and avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres , well, in general I don't like dinosaurs being depicted super colourful, though sometimes if a certain pattern is applied in a nice way I'm okay with that. Simply as a matter of personal preference, I'm not ruling out that dinosaurs could've been very colourful. But then again, the dinosaurs we know the coloration of (Microraptor, Beipiaosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Borealopelta, Psittacosaurus...) were not crazy colourful either. I mean, from what we know, colour-wise they were what you would expect to find in extant animals.

Chasmosaurus belli (Lambe, 1914)

Been a while since my last traditional art, so here's a Chasmosaurus to fix that. Definitely one of the most relevant ceratopsids (and one of the most impressive as well, due to its huge frill!). In a time where fancy new ceratopsids are being described every now and then, let's not forget about the classics!

I based this on Hartman's 2018 skeletal, which he calls Chasmosaurus belli, but isn't that a mistake? Am I missing something? Isn't C.belli the species that lacks the brow horns, and C.russelli the one that has those little curved upward brow horns?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.