You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: KeU on August 11, 2022, 04:37:02 AMJust wow. This is the first Rebor I am seriously considering getting. The heft, pose, scale details, and proportions are spot on for me. I hope they can improve on the seam gaps.
If this is the limited run that it seems to be, that may not happen. We may have to cope on our own.

dinodamage

avatar_Abobo @Abobo that looks stunning!! This sold me on the sculpt- your repaint really shows off the details!

L @LBDINO whoa thanks for posting this, this guy is amazing. I seriously love when dino toy reviews end up being educational, that's half of why I collect them

It's too bad about the tail gap but if that can be mitigated with some modding I will absolutely get this and do a custom. Help me I'm acquiring too many chunky rexes

Faelrin

A shame about the jaw not fully closing, and the tail seam being so obvious/not able to fully seal (at least regarding the Kiss variant). I'm glad to hear this model does come with a support stand though. Regardless though, I'm still excited for this figure, and can't wait to pair it with their upcoming Triceratops as well.

And after watching DinosNDragons video, I wonder if Kiss' coloration was derived from that one Blue Rhino Studios sculpture? Seems close enough anyways. Glad to see it sizes closely when alongside the Safari Ltd one. Even if it's 1:30 scale or so, at least it's not much bigger then that figure, so it won't take up more space then it does.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: dinodamage on August 11, 2022, 04:59:38 AMavatar_Abobo @Abobo that looks stunning!! This sold me on the sculpt- your repaint really shows off the details!

L @LBDINO whoa thanks for posting this, this guy is amazing. I seriously love when dino toy reviews end up being educational, that's half of why I collect them

It's too bad about the tail gap but if that can be mitigated with some modding I will absolutely get this and do a custom. Help me I'm acquiring too many chunky rexes

It's a pressure fit so it's supposed to be tight, just twist and push a bit harder and problem solved. Use the force guys! 

SidB

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on August 11, 2022, 06:25:35 AM
Quote from: dinodamage on August 11, 2022, 04:59:38 AMavatar_Abobo @Abobo that looks stunning!! This sold me on the sculpt- your repaint really shows off the details!

It's a pressure fit so it's supposed to be tight, just twist and push a bit harder and problem solved. Use the force guys!
That sounds encouraging!

Medzo

Just realized the tail is again a separate piece, with like previous Rebor figures. Definitely a deal off for me.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Medzo on August 11, 2022, 07:45:34 AMJust realized the tail is again a separate piece, with like previous Rebor figures. Definitely a deal off for me.
And with most figures I've seen, it connects with a horribly visible seam. :'(

Faelrin

avatar_Medzo @Medzo avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs See Rebor's response above yours. Seems like it can be mitigated, if attached correctly.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Faelrin on August 11, 2022, 10:47:52 AMavatar_Medzo @Medzo avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs See Rebor's response above yours. Seems like it can be mitigated, if attached correctly.
Thanks, saw it right after commenting  ::)  next time I'll read first.

Medzo

Quote from: Faelrin on August 11, 2022, 10:47:52 AMavatar_Medzo @Medzo avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs See Rebor's response above yours. Seems like it can be mitigated, if attached correctly.

Thanks for the update, have not seen the comment above. Still I don't see that anything of a mitigation truly. The seam will be quite visible even after. This is just a thing Rebor likes to do for some production or design reasons and they won't sell me any figure with it unfortunately.

But I understand if others are not as bothered with that of course, the figure is amazing otherwise.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Medzo on August 11, 2022, 01:46:14 PM

Thanks for the update, have not seen the comment above. Still I don't see that anything of a mitigation truly. The seam will be quite visible even after. This is just a thing Rebor likes to do for some production or design reasons and they won't sell me any figure with it unfortunately.

But I understand if others are not as bothered with that of course, the figure is amazing otherwise.
You can't have a poseable tail otherwise.  It also means smaller packaging.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I haven't yet had an issue with the tails going on, you do need to push hard though.

Carnoking

Gosh I love the reviews on that channel. One of the few Dino YouTubers that gets me just as excited about the science behind a model as I am about the model itself.

JohannesB

The figures are very nice, but the seams I find a bit of an eye-sore. That doesn't mean the figures aren't worth their money, of course, and I understand the reasoning, but I still find it a bit off-putting. I did buy some other figures with attachable tails and quite visible seams (Nanmu Apatosaurus come to mind), but I always feel an urge to glue them in place and use modeling paste and a new paint-app to hide them. Secondly, I already have so many Tyrannosaurus figures that I will need to let this one (in my case that would be "Tusk", I think) pass me by.

Duna

I've just opened my Tyrannosaurus Kiss (I had received it last week but I was on holiday so I didn't collect the parcel until today).

And WOW! What a beauty :o It's my most expensive dino figure but it's totally worthy. I bought it in Aliexpress, there are (or at least) were two shops that sell them.
And that's THE SIZE a rex figure should have! Super bulky, absolutely impressive.

For those worried about the dark colours of Kiss, it has a (quite) generous brown wash so it looks very natural, just as a real large animal covered in dust. I highly recommend it, it looks very lifelike.

Mine closes the mouth perfectly and it's incredible how an animal can look so nice and powerful just without showing a single tooth. It has a perfect front view, too.

I applied generously olive oil in the tail insert and it went super soft and adjusted better than I thought. Less seam than some I've seen in a few reviews/pictures. In the right side is almost unnoticeable, more in the left definitely but unappreciable from a distance. I think that if the colours of the tail matched better with the body, it would be almost imposible to appreciate, if the edge of the inner part was painted just like the stripe it contacts with. If I would be bothered by the left side seam I could correct it by the matching colours or the seam but doesn't bother me.

Of course it reminds me of "Hank" the father rex in Prehistoric Planet. It's pleasantly incredible that both REBOR and Prehistoric Planet made a Tyrannosaurus just in the same accurate look without knowing each other design, but that's for me very good news as that shows how a Tyrannosaurus should look like.
I'm sure Eofauna's T. imperator model will look very much the same so that's another sure buy. But this model will be much larger so will always be more impressive. It's a model with a forever stay ticket at my home.

Sorry about the quality of the pics. I'll post some more in my thread.

Bread

Late to the party!

A lot of these in hand images look great!
Excited for mine!

Anyone receive any information regarding BigBadToy store's preorder(s) on these? I know they are usually last to receive these.

Thialfi

Thanks for the images avatar_Duna @Duna! What a marvelous model. The tail looks fine and the mouth seems to close fine as well. I can't wait for mine!

Carnoking

Looks like you got a great copy! Here's hoping my luck is in when they arrive in the states.

need4swede

Oh my lord, that boy eats! Almost tempted to throw a 'Golds Gym' tanktop on him with a weight belt around his waist  ;D

Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos - and I'm glad the mouth is able to fully close. I was a bit worried about that.

I got both versions (and the bases) ordered from BBTS, and I haven't received any information about when any of it will dispatch.
- Swede

Faelrin

avatar_Duna @Duna Glad to see your model can close the jaw properly.

Thank you for the excellent images as well and sharing your thoughts on it.

avatar_Bread @Bread I'm also still waiting on BBTS to deliver or send an email.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: