News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 17, 2022, 10:27:36 PMPapo was what got me back into dinosaur collecting several years ago with their original Allosaurus(I have owned three total, one that was badly paint damaged after a tumble from a shelf and collision with a PS4, a replacement, and the recent repaint), but I agree.  The only dinosaurs they've put out in the past few years that I felt interested in buying were the "limited" Spinosaurus(despite potential inaccuracies it is still quite a fantastic figure and has a lot of shelf presence) and the Stygimoloch(which I was disappointed in when I got it and saw how absolutely tiny it was).

It is small, but, as you can see below, it makes a neat grouping with the old Papo Pachy and the newer PNSO one:

Carnoking

Well, Everything Dinosaur officially has the Protoceratops in stock. I'm almost tempted to pick it up just as a novelty item but even at just under 20 bucks shipped it feels like I'd be paying too much for that ugly thing.

Lynx

i really don't think its that bad unless you open the mouth still, but that's just me
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 17, 2022, 10:27:36 PMPapo was what got me back into dinosaur collecting several years ago with their original Allosaurus(I have owned three total, one that was badly paint damaged after a tumble from a shelf and collision with a PS4, a replacement, and the recent repaint), but I agree.  The only dinosaurs they've put out in the past few years that I felt interested in buying were the "limited" Spinosaurus(despite potential inaccuracies it is still quite a fantastic figure and has a lot of shelf presence) and the Stygimoloch(which I was disappointed in when I got it and saw how absolutely tiny it was).

Yeah, I started as a Papo collector back in 2015, probably had close to 20 at one point, but it didn't last. I only have four left and the last one I bought was the Gorgosaurus, just for lack of Gorgosaurus options.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Yeah, Papo was also what helped get me back into collecting dinosaurs way back in the early 2000s. The ones I've kept are the rare brown running T. rex, the upright rainbow T. rex, the baby green T. rex, Gorgosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Pentaceratops, Kaprosuchus, Megaloceros, and the cave bear. My sons have the baby Triceratops, feathered Velociraptor, and Apatosaurus in their collection.

And judging from how Papo's wares are become sorrier and sorrier, I cannot envision myself buying another one again.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

Any news regarding the Mosasaurus? Maybe it will be a "limited" like aquatic spinosaurus or moved to the next year.

SpartanSquat

Sorry for the second reply, but I saw dansdinosaur has stock of mosasaurus.
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/mosasaurus-by-papo/
Its true?

CityRaptor

Link says pre-order.

Since people mention their Papo collections, I currently only have the Ceratosaurus after selling off the others due to a number of factors coming together. My brother got some Papos, too, but they are not Dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpartanSquat

Weird because searching in google pics, appeared as dan dinosaur has stock

Prehistory Resurrection

I honestly cannot tell whether this is a Papo figure or a figure from another line. Very disappointed with this offering from Papo. At least the jaw is articulated,but still this can't help cover the hideousness of this figure.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on August 18, 2022, 02:27:15 PM
I honestly cannot tell whether this is a Papo figure or a figure from another line. Very disappointed with this offering from Papo. At least the jaw is articulated,but still this can't help cover the hideousness of this figure.

If it had come out in the 90's or 80's I might have owned it, but there is just way now.

PrimevalRaptor

It does look a lot better than the promo shots especially with the closed mouth but man this is just such a bizarre sculpt, those large scutes and the back of the frill really look...off and in itself this feels less of a Papo sculpt and more of a Schleich one.

Lynx

Can we just ignore that this figure existed entirely
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 18, 2022, 02:59:32 PMIt does look a lot better than the promo shots especially with the closed mouth but man this is just such a bizarre sculpt, those large scutes and the back of the frill really look...off and in itself this feels less of a Papo sculpt and more of a Schleich one.
Yes, you're right, it really does have a Schleichian air about it. Several years ago, there was a rumor that Schleich was trying to lure one or more or of Papo's artists to come and work for them. Maybe the reverse has happened!

Halichoeres

That is a powerfully ugly hunk of plastic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2022, 04:42:30 PMThat is a powerfully ugly hunk of plastic.
It might be uglier than that Schleich ReplicaSaurus Ceratosaurus ... it's close. I'll have to meditate on that. That's my gold standard for transcendent ugliness.

CityRaptor

Not as ugly as the Schleich Cerato, but still pretty terrible. Looks indeed very Schleich.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Primeval12

Eh, it's ugly but I still like it. I'll probably end up with one.

suspsy

Kronosaurus. I'm assuming this is a 2023 release. Doesn't look too bad.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

oscars_dinos

...... ok papo I see you ......

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: