News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 14, 2022, 11:45:16 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 14, 2022, 11:31:23 PMavatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 an Istiodactylus figure would be nice. Funny enough, I had a dream in 2019 (I believe) where I saw a Papo Borealopelta (that was maroon-coloured) in a store. Because of that dream, I was hoping Papo would release a Borealopelta in 2020.
In my dream, a display case full of them spontaneously manifested in my bookshelf, which was for some reason completely without books.
That really is the dream (minus the vanished books), isn't it (no pun intended). In my dream, I was in a gift shop-type place in some rural North American town (somewhere in Minnesota, Montana or somewhere similar).

Grimbeard

Video review of the protoceratops (in german)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeuwGHOI8Y

While not as bad as the promo images suggested, you can still tell that Pape must have commissioned a different artist then their models of their "prime age" during the 2010s. The coloration is both brighter and blander than their older models and the details are also lesser, especially on the scales.

Carnoking

Good golly that is horrendous.

Ivántirrophus

For me that proto looks better than photos, it would be better without movable jaw.

Gwangi

That might be Papo's worst dinosaur ever.

SpartanSquat

I notice the protoceratops in the belly mentions it was done in 2018!
The design looks like first ark creature design.

stargatedalek

I think this general design of a monster Protoceratops could have worked and been pretty cool, if only the detail sculpting was finer.

PrimevalRaptor

It does look better like the photos at least but yeah...this ain't Papo's finest work. Reminds me a bit of their Tylosaurus tbh.
I still like the colors in itself but the osteoderms still look weird.

Jose S.M.

While I don't think it's horrible, it's definitely below the standard Papo used to deliver at least in terms of sculpt and paint job.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on June 16, 2022, 02:14:51 AMThat might be Papo's worst dinosaur ever.
In sharp contrast to, say, Eofauna, Papo appears to be a company that pays no attention to the considered opinions of focus groups, such as ours. The results, as above, or with the absurd Giganotosaurus, are obvious.

Medzo

Quote from: Jose S.M. on June 16, 2022, 12:14:06 PMWhile I don't think it's horrible, it's definitely below the standard Papo used to deliver at least in terms of sculpt and paint job.

I'm quite used to Papo's substandard quality at this point. Just visit a local toy store that lists their products. You can't find two items that has anything similar paint application. They are sloppy, all over the place.

Concavenator

Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2022, 01:29:37 PMPapo appears to be a company that pays no attention to the considered opinions of focus groups, such as ours. The results, as above, or with the absurd Giganotosaurus, are obvious.

Unfortunately, I think Papo is out of the market at this point. They lack a specific direction and no longer care. They obviously don't strive for scientific accuracy, nor they release JP figures as they once did. The noticeable drop in quality compared to their previous releases makes me think they somehow have a public that keeps buying their (prehistoric life) figures no matter how good or bad they are, maybe as a result of their reputation.

Medzo

Quote from: Concavenator on June 16, 2022, 11:25:16 PMThe noticeable drop in quality compared to their previous releases makes me think they somehow have a public that keeps buying their (prehistoric life) figures no matter how good or bad they are, maybe as a result of their reputation.

I'm pretty sure they've developed a circle of partners and they are just sitting on it without - as you've pointed out - giving any care to it. Those partners are not updated on the market - considering strictly prehistoric animal products -, their items are still being sold to casual buyers and that's it. I would not be surprised if the reduced number of releases is just a poor reaction to the dropping sales. They must have some "Meh, people are not into dino toys that much, lets not make them anymore" attitude and no real knowledge of the changing market. Dinos are just a tiny part of their portfolio.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't think it's really that bad. The color scheme and articulated jaw are just too distracting. I think it would have been better off in a sandy brown color. It still wouldn't be perfect, but would at least that would be more realistic. It's a shame too, since Papo makes great modern animals.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on June 16, 2022, 11:25:16 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2022, 01:29:37 PMPapo appears to be a company that pays no attention to the considered opinions of focus groups, such as ours. The results, as above, or with the absurd Giganotosaurus, are obvious.

Unfortunately, I think Papo is out of the market at this point. They lack a specific direction and no longer care. They obviously don't strive for scientific accuracy, nor they release JP figures as they once did. The noticeable drop in quality compared to their previous releases makes me think they somehow have a public that keeps buying their (prehistoric life) figures no matter how good or bad they are, maybe as a result of their reputation.
Perhaps, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , they have a certain momentum, or should I say inertia, that keeps their prehistoric line going, after a fashion. I think that Schleich (I can't believe that I'm typing this) outdoes them as a producer of extinct creatures.

GiganotosaurusFan

Absolutely nobody, remember the time when Papo was the standard in dinosaur toys? Boy, those were good times.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SidB on June 17, 2022, 01:01:28 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on June 16, 2022, 11:25:16 PM

Perhaps, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , they have a certain momentum, or should I say inertia, that keeps their prehistoric line going, after a fashion. I think that Schleich (I can't believe that I'm typing this) outdoes them as a producer of extinct creatures.
Dinosaur toy fan try not to spout exruciating hyperbole challenge
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

dyno77

I mentioned before that papo are slipping away in the dinosaur area,even though there other lines are doing fine as far as im aware..Their dinosaurs arent up to par anymore ,i haven't read any articles that suggest what direction they are taking with the dinosaurs,but i saw it coming from around when gorgosaurus was released.
Even back then most of the forums still praised them ,but it was clear to me as a collector they were slipping away in the dinosaur department,because their sculpts were inconsistent,with weird poses.
For all the flaws collecta has ,some of its deluxe figures are on par with resin kits...and as a collector i can attest to that ,having some high end statues as well...
eofauna,safari,and collecta,all do research on each figure and its usually passes some expert before its mass produced ,these other companies dont because they arent bothered about accuracy,its as simple as that...

SidB

I remember that when their dinosaur products first hit the marketplace, both aspects: high production values and haphazard research (to be mildly charitable) were immediately apparent. It was "WOW! ... but"; now it's just "... but".

Shadowknight1

Papo was what got me back into dinosaur collecting several years ago with their original Allosaurus(I have owned three total, one that was badly paint damaged after a tumble from a shelf and collision with a PS4, a replacement, and the recent repaint), but I agree.  The only dinosaurs they've put out in the past few years that I felt interested in buying were the "limited" Spinosaurus(despite potential inaccuracies it is still quite a fantastic figure and has a lot of shelf presence) and the Stygimoloch(which I was disappointed in when I got it and saw how absolutely tiny it was).
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: