News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonRider02

Quote from: Faelrin on August 23, 2022, 06:21:29 PMI think you called it avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 as far as that Monolophosaurus design goes. I wonder who the original artist is for the artwork. Anyone know?
Dinoraul's Mono is all over Google images when you type in 'Monolophosaurus' and is quite frequently used stock dinosaur, of course Schleich had to copy it :D

Anyway. Nothing looks offensively bad. Galli is probably the best, but it's hands look absolutely disgusting and kinda ruin the whole thing for me  :P
Also, I wish they ripped-off JW Edmontosaurus completely, not just colors. Then it wouldn't look like a weirdly elongated, malnourished alien creature...

Overall they're all 'decent', but absolutely not worth wasting shelf space and money on. Becouse if something is 'decent' for Schleich, it means it's still miles below compared to what other companies do.

Gwangi

The only one I'll likely get from this batch is the Gastonia (I like it more than CollectA's) but this is certainly one of Schleich's better years overall. The Gallimimus almost succeeds but the hands are really bizarre, I'm not sure what's going on there.

Szajmin

Wow, they look good.

Unfortunately, I am concerned about the dull teeth and claws, and the quality of the paint job

Chasmosaurus

The gastonia remind me the hylaeosaurus from kayakasaurus
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Lynx

Compared to the companies best (which I own), this isn't much for me to get too hyped about, though I will end up getting them anyway some way or another.

Also, I saw some people compared the galli to the JWA design, but honestly blue and yellows are really common on dinosaur designs so I wouldn't get on them yet. Not as obvious as the rest, if it is inspired, though.
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

Quote from: Takama on August 23, 2022, 04:24:23 PMAm i the ONLY ONE who sees a Suspicious simalarity between the "Tarbosaurus" and their Most Recent T.Rex Sculpt?

That's the one I was referring to, I wasn't sure which exactly of Schleichs countless Tyrannosaurus' it was, if it's not a retool it certainly feels like the same sculptor.

suspsy

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 24, 2022, 12:28:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 23, 2022, 04:24:23 PMAm i the ONLY ONE who sees a Suspicious simalarity between the "Tarbosaurus" and their Most Recent T.Rex Sculpt?

That's the one I was referring to, I wasn't sure which exactly of Schleichs countless Tyrannosaurus' it was, if it's not a retool it certainly feels like the same sculptor.

It's totally the same sculptor, but again, it's definitely an original sculpt.

Gods, shrink-wrapping is so damned ugly.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DragonRider02

Quote from: suspsy on August 24, 2022, 12:33:30 AM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 24, 2022, 12:28:56 AM

It's totally the same sculptor, but again, it's definitely an original sculpt.

Gods, shrink-wrapping is so damned ugly.
I honestly though at first glance they simply retooled their T. rex, it's so similar.

But is there actually anything that makes Schleich's Tarbosaurus a Tarbosaurus? Or could it be just labeled as Tyrannosaurus and nothing would change?

Flaffy

Quote from: DragonRider02 on August 24, 2022, 01:05:52 AMI honestly though at first glance they simply retooled their T. rex, it's so similar.

But is there actually anything that makes Schleich's Tarbosaurus a Tarbosaurus? Or could it be just labeled as Tyrannosaurus and nothing would change?

It's as much a Tarbosaurus as Mattel's rendition is. Which is another way of saying it's a generic Tyrannosaurus name-swap.
The arm proportions are no where near close to how small they were on the actual animal.

SidB

Really, it's so clueless to keep the oversized arms. I was just looking at my PNSO Tarbosaurus with its properly miniscule arms, and not only are they tiny, relatively speaking, but that very much accentuates the head's enormous size. COOL!  I don't get it why other artists didn't and don't get that. I find that it makes the animal more intimidating, more bizarre. That should sell.

Halichoeres

While the Tarbosaurus looks like a new mold, I think it's possible that it shares an underlying digital sculpt with the Tyrannosaurus, just re-posed and mildly re-textured. I could be wrong.

The Gallimimus meets the low bar of "best available," and I'll probably get it. If a company like PNSO, Safari, or CollectA had made it, it would be very disappointing, but on the sliding scale that is Schleich quality, it's decent.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 23, 2022, 03:17:38 PMthese aren't half bad, especially the Gastonia and Gall...Gall..Galli...Gallimimus. Not sure if I'll invest in any but nice to see some good offerings here.
You know, that line in JP always bothered me. Am I to believe that a kid who's into dinosaurs gets stuck on "-mimus" but remembers "Galli-?" It would make much more sense for him to be like, "Um, something -mimus...Struthiomimus? Garudimimus? No, GALLIMIMUS." It would be like a kid who's into birds saying "hmm, greater black-backed something..." rather than "a gull, but I'm not sure which."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

It really was an asinine line.

Carnoking

Well, I suppose it sure helps the audience remember the name if anything.

Perhaps a better line would have been, "What is that, some kinda Gallimimus Squadâ„¢?"

Leyster

deleted
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Takama

Quote from: Flaffy on August 23, 2022, 06:43:26 PMNot bad, not bad at all... for Schleich. Save for the absolutely horrendous Edmontosaurus, all the others are relatively inoffensive. The three theropods in particular look rather pleasing. Hopefully in-hand pics will give us a better idea of the general proportions of these new figures.

Gastonia would've been great if the legs weren't so long. Reminds me of the wonky proportions of the JW Ankylosaurus desgin.
Still a vast improvement over their recent Animantrax and Ankylosaurus.

While maybe Unlkly, they Might of used this Skeletal instead, (Which was Recomended to an artist im working with by Tracy Ford On Facebook After Jim Kirkland criticized our own take of this creature

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: DragonRider02 on August 24, 2022, 01:05:52 AMBut is there actually anything that makes Schleich's Tarbosaurus a Tarbosaurus? Or could it be just labeled as Tyrannosaurus and nothing would change?

The skull looks slightly more wedge-shaped and thinner at the back, than that of the 2018 Tyrannosaurus. Could just be the angle though. As others have mentioned, the arms are still way too long. And I have a feeling that (like the 2020 Baryonyx)), it'll be much leggier in hand than the picture suggests. That being said, it's not too bad (IMO).

This is probably Schleich's most consistently good year. I'm especially a fan of the Tarbosaurus, Gastonia and Gallimimus. The Tarbosaurus falls slightly short on accuracy, but it's a good looking toy. Gastonia is a bit too leggy, and I wish more of the osteoderms were painted, but it is also a nice model. The Gallimimus might be my favorite (and probably the only one I'll get). I was hoping someone would make a Gallimimus, and I was worried Schleich's attempt would be another Jurassic Park copy, but it's surprisingly accurate. The Monolophosaurus looks kind of centaur-ish, though it could be the angle. But the Edmontosaurus is a dud. Not as bad as the Cryolophosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus, but still a bit disappointing. It's too lanky and has unguligrade legs. Reminds me of the WwD Tyrannosaurus *shudders*.

Overall, a surprisingly decent lineup from Schleich.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Hm hm hm. Schleich really seem to wanting to change things. But they move slowly. But they move away from super duper comical Figures. Still, nothing i would like to have, sry :D But i think this is a positive sign overall.

suspsy

It really is silly how two rows of osteoderms on the Gastonia's back have been left unpainted. Although perhaps the production version will have them painted? Fingers crossed.

Grimbeard

For Schleich, this is a far better showing that their past few years (which isnt saying much)

- Edmontosaurus: While clearly heavly inspired by the Jurassic Park Evolution version, the paint job still looks nice. That weird skin flaps running along its neck and belly is quite offputting though.

- Gallimimus: Finally a design by Schleich that stands out somewhat, the colorscheme is bold yet pausible and the coat of feathers is a nice and unexpected surprise. I REALLY dont like the hands, at least in the promo picture, their pose looks....painfull.

- Gastonia: As stated already, too leggs for a proper Ankylo/Nodosaur. The rest of the body looks great though. I think this has the weakest paint job though.

- Monolophosaurus: again nice colorscheme, but the entire sculpt looks somewhat ...off. Might be the angle of the photo. Not a big fan of the head either.

- Tarbosaurs: The sculpt looks quite similar to their current Rex (including far too big arms), BUT i REALLY like the paintjob. I'm a sucker for Tiger Stripes on Predators and this one looks really nice, league above the ones used on any of their rex. I would even say this is Schleichs best therapod just from a color scheme perspective.

All in all, im positively surprised (granted, my expectation were low). While not good enough for my collective taste, I would absolutely gift most of them to my niece and nephew.

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on August 24, 2022, 04:34:24 PMBut the Edmontosaurus is a dud. Not as bad as the Cryolophosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus, but still a bit disappointing. It's too lanky and has unguligrade legs. Reminds me of the WwD Tyrannosaurus *shudders*.
Surprised more people haven't pointed out the Edmontosaurus' unguligrade legs. It's a mess

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: