News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnoking on August 24, 2022, 05:12:19 AMWell, I suppose it sure helps the audience remember the name if anything.

Perhaps a better line would have been, "What is that, some kinda Gallimimus Squadâ„¢?"

That's true, it probably does help the audience remember the name, or be more open to purchasing merch bearing the name.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

uguligrade? I know what plantigrade and digitigrade are but never heard of this term. I did notice that the edmonto's back legs look weird.

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 25, 2022, 12:13:42 AMuguligrade? I know what plantigrade and digitigrade are but never heard of this term. I did notice that the edmonto's back legs look weird.

Only the hooves touch the ground.

Plantigrade, digitigrade, unguligrade.

You have a keen eye there avatar_Nyrorosaurus @Nyrorosaurus. I could tell that something (many things, actually) was off with that Edmontosaurus but couldn't put my finger on it. You nailed it though.

It's a shame that they only copied the color scheme from Jurassic World: Evolution and not the body too.  :P

terrorchicken

^thanks! No wonder it looked so strange!

also I like the gallimimus but wish the legs weren't so overly scaled...also I cant make out the hands clearly but they almost look like one is making a fist while the other is dragging its knuckles. :-\

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 25, 2022, 02:42:12 AM^thanks! No wonder it looked so strange!

also I like the gallimimus but wish the legs weren't so overly scaled...also I cant make out the hands clearly but they almost look like one is making a fist while the other is dragging its knuckles. :-\

No problem.

The Galli hands are atrocious and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about them. I can't see any individual digits. They look like lumpy masses growing off of stumps. They kind of gross me out.

suspsy

I'd like to see more images of the Gallimimus from different angles, and to actually examine it in person, but yes, the hands do indeed look very peculiar. At least it'll be something to talk about in the eventual review.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on August 25, 2022, 02:46:15 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on August 25, 2022, 02:42:12 AM^thanks! No wonder it looked so strange!

No problem.

The Galli hands are atrocious and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about them. I can't see any individual digits. They look like lumpy masses growing off of stumps. They kind of gross me out.
Sad to say, they remind me of a certain fellow who was taxiing around one of my staff members , but struggled to make a u-turn - the reason being that he had no fingers, a serious impediment for a taxi driver for sure. They had been cut off for theft, allegedly. My first glimpse of the hands of the Gallimimus, admittedly kind of fuzzy, immediately reminded me of this episode.

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on August 25, 2022, 04:13:17 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 25, 2022, 02:46:15 AM

No problem.

Sad to say, they remind me of a certain fellow who was taxiing around one of my staff members , but struggled to make a u-turn - the reason being that he had no fingers, a serious impediment for a taxi driver for sure. They had been cut off for theft, allegedly. My first glimpse of the hands of the Gallimimus, admittedly kind of fuzzy, immediately reminded me of this episode.

And I rest my case. That's not something a toy dinosaur should remind you of.  :o

suspsy

Again, it could simply be a bad angle. We shall have to wait and see.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on August 25, 2022, 02:37:59 PMAgain, it could simply be a bad angle. We shall have to wait and see.

You keep saying that, and it's cool that you want to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I really don't see how it could possibly be "a bad angle" when you can clearly see both of the misshapen hands, each from it's own angle, and they both look equally grotesque. Now I know, it's not the final product, we need to see it in hand, I know the drill. But this is Schleich we're talking about and I don't share your optimism. It looks like they tried to make clenched fists out of the digits and horribly failed at it.

There is more going on here than just a bad angle.

suspsy

Well, like I said, if the hands really are as bad as they appear in that image, then my eventual review will soundly slam Schleich's stupendously sloppy solecism.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on August 25, 2022, 04:19:26 PMWell, like I said, if the hands really are as bad as they appear in that image, then my eventual review will soundly slam Schleich's stupendously sloppy solecism.

Looking forward to it.  ;D

Halichoeres

It almost looks like they were trying to fold the hands backward like a bird's, but the effect is very odd-looking, like some kind of mitten made of glued-together pebbles.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

going to get the gallimimus simply because it is the only feathered version that's affordable at the moment!
An oversized house cat.

Dilopho

What on earth is the entire back half of the edmontosaurus? lol
and its lower jaw looks kinda weird to me, it looks a different colour and texture to the upper jaw

Still, these things will probably look better in person. I like the Tarbosaurus. It's refreshing to see Schleich shift towards some ...acceptable Tyrannosaurs in recent years instead of compressed JP ripoffs. Not that they're much better, but I think there is a definite improvement.

Skorpio V.

Whoa, been a while since my last post. The initial negativity without product images was pretty funny to me, but I have to say I wouldn't have expected this decent of a lineup myself.

Love the Gastonia!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Dilopho

Quote from: Gwangi on August 25, 2022, 03:36:44 PMThere is more going on here than just a bad angle.

If you look at the closer hand, one of its fingers is bending back over the wing...

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Dilopho on September 01, 2022, 03:14:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 25, 2022, 03:36:44 PMThere is more going on here than just a bad angle.

If you look at the closer hand, one of its fingers is bending back over the wing...

It resembles very much the Arthur fist meme...

austrosaurus

I'm pretty sure that Tarbosaurus is "based on" a piece of palaeoart by Raul Martin, down to the perspective-caused wonkiness with the skull. Other than that this is pretty standard Schleich fare - the Edmontosaurus and Tarbosaurus are very bad (and plagiarised to boot), the Monolophosaurus would be alright if they gave it a neck, same with the Gallimimus and hands, and the Gastonia is the best of a bad bunch (same sculptor as the Diabloceratops, maybe?). Definitely won't be going out of my way to get any of these, but if I see the Gastonia in-store I might pick it up. Schleich and Papo have definitely slid down the relevance scale at mach speed these last few years.

GojiraGuy1954

Why hasnt the OP been updated
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: