News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Southlands Replicas

Started by suspsy, May 22, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I received my diprotodon from Soutlands Replicas yesterday and I can assure you that the figure is super detailed. It is a hard plastic to be vinyl but at the same time light.

They have made a figure that is in addition to a paleoartistic and scientifically correct work a great work of art from the sculptural point of view and details the painting is fabulous and colorful and from my realistic point of view.

I apologize to the forum for not having a camera for the reasons that I have previously noted in the forum (lack of budget and war economy especially now that my mother has died and we have to depend on my salary my father and me). But I can say that the details that stand out are those of the painting and all the details of the hair among other things.

SBell

They just arrived to me yesterday, and are now on my store site https://faunafigures.com/category/brand/southlands-replicas/

I was surprised that the Diprotodon is a hollow cast, but I get it...it's less expensive and lighter than way.

And it (and the other 3 newest models) are fantastic.

didusineptus

The next Southlands figure is a saltwater crocodile...

https://www.facebook.com/southlands/

postsaurischian

suspsy

I'm hoping that they do Megalania next.

And then, you know, some Australian dinosaurs!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

A procoptodon would be a necessary animal in Soutland Replicas and on the other hand among the dinosaurs a muttaburrasaurus is a very rare dinosaur in the market of collecting if we except the Invicta and WWD (hollow model) that I know. We need a muttaburrasaurus from Soutlands Replicas even if it's a vinyl model like its diprotodon.

terrorchicken

I just got the diprotodon and its a fantastic figure! the detail and paint is amazing! Id love to see a procoptodon and  dromornithid from them as well  some Australian dinosaurs.

Flaffy

Any news on this line? Or did it go the way of Battat  :(

bmathison1972

Quote from: Flaffy on December 20, 2019, 02:46:34 PM
Any news on this line? Or did it go the way of Battat  :(

They are still active, but mostly extant animals. they are scheduled to have a saltwater croc in Spring, 2020.

suspsy

Beyond the saltie, they haven't revealed anything, although Jason Smits says he does has plans.

RobinGoodfellow

Today on Southlands Replicas Facebook page:

" Dear Friends and Customers, by now many of you will have noticed some of our models appearing on the Mojo 2022 releases.

We have been quietly working with Mojo in the background and are thrilled that they have been able to continue the Southlands legacy into the future.

The rising costs, complexities and time pressures of producing mass produced figurines had become too much for a small player such as ourselves and so we had to discontinue, despite great support from collectors worldwide... to whom we owe a huge debt of gratitude.

Some of you will be aware that Southlands was a branch of www.minizoo.com.au. While we had to wind up Southlands, MiniZoo has continued to thrive. At MiniZoo, we are particularly happy to continue to stock and sell Mojo figurines, and therefore some of the original Southlands range into 2022.

Thank you once again for all your support. It's been an amazing journey! "

Sad news :'(

suspsy

It's a real shame. They made some of the best toys of Australian fauna I'd ever laid eyes on. There are currently no plans for the saltwater crocodile sculpt, but I'm hoping that Mojo picks that one up in the future as well. It's way too good a sculpt to never see production.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's a shame to lose such a great line of animals. I was hoping to see them come back with more figures someday. I'm still looking for the thylacoleo, myself. It's disappointing that Mojo picked them up, since I don't care much for them, and the paint quality isn't as good in what we've seen as it was in the original Southlands figures, but at least they get to live on in some form.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

suspsy

The Mojo versions may well end up being superior to the SR ones in terms of durability. My SR wedgetail eagle broke right in two when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the perentie lost a bunch of toes after my son got hold of it. I'm considering buying him the Mojo version for his Australian menagerie.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't handle my figures much, so I don't know how well they hold up, but the photos show quite a difference in paint detail:

I'm not too concerned, though, since I already have the original.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

bmathison1972

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 29, 2021, 09:06:15 AM

We have been quietly working with Mojo in the background and are thrilled that they have been able to continue the Southlands legacy into the future.

This line makes me wonder if Mojo will continue with planned SR sculpts as well. For example, Jason creates the prototypes for Mojo (much like Ana does for Mojo horses and other animals). The may be turn out to be promising in the long run.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 29, 2021, 04:16:44 PM
I don't handle my figures much, so I don't know how well they hold up, but the photos show quite a difference in paint detail:

If there is one downfall of Mojo, it is their paint jobs. And often, the figures themselves will look much simpler than even promotional photos (the pronghorn and honey badgers immediately come to mind).

For me Mojo is a 'transitionary' company; I don't like them as much as CollectA, Safari, and Papo, but I like them more then Schleich.

terrorchicken

too bad I loved their diprotodon and tylacleo! I also have their dingo and quoll.

Faelrin

While the paint apps on that Tasmanian Devil are definitely worse then the original, I'm still however glad to see the sculpts brought back into production in some way. Many were of often neglected animals in the first place, such as the Perentie. I do really hope they do the same for the Thylacoleo, etc, in the future though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SBell

Quote from: Faelrin on December 30, 2021, 04:18:54 PM
While the paint apps on that Tasmanian Devil are definitely worse then the original, I'm still however glad to see the sculpts brought back into production in some way. Many were of often neglected animals in the first place, such as the Perentie. I do really hope they do the same for the Thylacoleo, etc, in the future though.

When I asked...they said not all extinct animals...

Chasmosaurus

It seems that they have lost the mold of the diprotodon.
I found this on aliexpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtBcc3m

I tried to see if there was also the thylacoleo but I did not find it
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: