News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

W-Dragon: New for 2022

Started by blnadal, December 06, 2021, 11:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Quote from: Flaffy on September 11, 2022, 12:26:32 PMFeels like what the JWD Prologue Tyrannosaurus design should've been. A bit of the JP design peaking through, but still noticeably more anatomically correct than the modern-day clone.

Yes, exactly!

JohannesB

Interchangeable heads instead of an articulated jaw. Not many have done that before, I think, but it sounds so logical. Maybe even cheaper (and certainly easier) than engineering a hinge in its jaws (that might not even work so great). At first glance I would love to acquire this, but I will probably pass - can't go on buying these expensive things every few months. And besides that I feel that although it does to a certain degree look like a beautiful "real" Tyrannosaurus, it still has a certain movie dinosaur or movie monster vibe about it. Not to say that that is a bad thing at all, mind you, but I already own W-Dragon's "Rexy". I do love Tyrannosaurus, but I am trying from now on to only buy figures that are scientifically correct (or maybe better: scientifically plausible? But where exactly does one draw the line between the plausible and the implausible? I am seriously interested..).

Sturisoma

I wonder how the head/neck seam would look. Would be a disappointment if you skipped Rebor for the tail seam and gambled on this, only to have an equally apparent neck seam!  :))

Over9K

Quote from: Sturisoma on September 11, 2022, 03:02:31 PMI wonder how the head/neck seam would look. Would be a disappointment if you skipped Rebor for the tail seam and gambled on this, only to have an equally apparent neck seam!  :))

If you look close, you can see where the joint is on the prototype. Hopefully the production version will hide it as well as we see here.

Their upcoming big old school/retro rex also has the interchangeable head feature, so we'll get an idea of how successful W-Dragon is at doing this soon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm seeing a bit of a resemblance to Smaug...

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 12, 2022, 03:01:15 AMI'm seeing a bit of a resemblance to Smaug...
I instantly thought of him as soon as I saw this.

This thing makes Rebor's look natural. I'm fine with how Rebor's is over muscled, but it had still a natural look to it. Otherwise, this beast has definitely that JP vibe to it. Not bad though, I find it neat to see a company primarily on JP/JW license tackle an up-to-date Tyrannosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on September 12, 2022, 03:15:21 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 12, 2022, 03:01:15 AMI'm seeing a bit of a resemblance to Smaug...

This thing makes Rebor's look natural. I'm fine with how Rebor's is over muscled, but it had still a natural look to it. Otherwise, this beast has definitely that JP vibe to it. Not bad though, I find it neat to see a company primarily on JP/JW license tackle an up-to-date Tyrannosaurus.

The color isn't helping.. lol  it's a bit speculative but not bad, my concern would be Rebor is about the same size for 55.00 vs this one at their current prices of triple or more.

Oh the new Brachiosaurus is up on Sugo Toys site now for preorder, estimated for December 2022.

https://sugotoys.com.au/product/wdjpb13mt72/

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 12, 2022, 03:08:29 PM

The color isn't helping.. lol  it's a bit speculative but not bad, my concern would be Rebor is about the same size for 55.00 vs this one at their current prices of triple or more.

Oh the new Brachiosaurus is up on Sugo Toys site now for preorder, estimated for December 2022.

Exactly, honestly I am shocked by the Brachiosaurus price, so maybe the Tyrannosaurus won't be so bad in price either.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon do you know which other sites will have this up for preorder? Thank you.

Concavenator

What do you think of this one's accuracy? L @Leyster I would like to know your opinion.

Carnoking

This is why I don't much care for officially licensed products. The inflated price tag really isn't worth that clout in my eyes.

need4swede

Quote from: Carnoking on September 12, 2022, 05:57:41 PMThis is why I don't much care for officially licensed products. The inflated price tag really isn't worth that clout in my eyes.

I believe there certainly is a market for people who value the merit of "officially licensed" products above the actual quality of the product itself. I don't find myself to be among these collectors, and by the sound of things neither do you, but I can certainly see that a market exists for it.

As far as I can tell, the un-licensed stuff, like Rebor's 'Killer Queen' and pretty much anything Nanmu has made as of late, is far more impressive than the licensed stuff, like Prime 1's small scale offerings and W-Dragon's recent releases. This supports my theory that getting the license is such a high price for these companies that they have to make up the costs somewhere - apparently by racking up the prices of the figures and skimping on the paint/sculpt of the product.

I'm sure there's more to it, but that's just my observation.
- Swede

Carnoking

I am also certain that officially licensed products have their places within the dinosaur collecting community, and the fact that I don't need such a stamp on my figures does not diminish the merits of the work. The licensed sculpts really do seem to hit the nail on the head, and the overall presentation of the figure with the bases and logos are quite nice. That being said, the unofficial stuff is more than satisfactory for me and comes at a much more manageable cost. I mean, you could buy two or three Nanmu figures for the cost of one of these W-Dragon offerings, and I imagine Universal gets a decent cut of that markup as well.

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on September 12, 2022, 05:24:44 PMWhat do you think of this one's accuracy? L @Leyster I would like to know your opinion.
Well, it's legs are ripped (like an Arnold Schwarzenegger version of a Tyrannosaurus), but if you reduce it in your head the muscolature appears to be (mostly) in place. My main problem is with that "rise" above the vertebral column in the sacral area. Also the head is not as bad as it looks... once you remove the JP-style keratin that makes it look so draconic. I understand that it's meant to be Stan? There is certainly some resemblance there in the head shape. It looks like they worked over an accurate Tyrannosaurus to somewhat stylize its look. I'll wait for the translation of the making of avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx is working on before further judging its accuracy.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

teamrexalltheway

I gotta know, where did you find the photos of the W-Dragon lipped T-Rex? I'd like to know so I can see if I can get it pre-ordered.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 12, 2022, 03:08:29 PMThe color isn't helping.. lol  it's a bit speculative but not bad, my concern would be Rebor is about the same size for 55.00 vs this one at their current prices of triple or more.

I'm hoping they'll be priced around the same as the Giganotosaurus redux, which Sugo has at $81USD, perhaps a little bit more, to cover the interchangeable heads.

Over9K

Quote from: teamrexalltheway on September 12, 2022, 10:46:46 PMI gotta know, where did you find the photos of the W-Dragon lipped T-Rex? I'd like to know so I can see if I can get it pre-ordered.

I found them on Facebook. I'm watching Sugo Toys for the pre-order.

teamrexalltheway

Quote from: Over9K on September 12, 2022, 10:52:31 PM
Quote from: teamrexalltheway on September 12, 2022, 10:46:46 PMI gotta know, where did you find the photos of the W-Dragon lipped T-Rex? I'd like to know so I can see if I can get it pre-ordered.

I tried pre-ordering on Sugo toys once. It didn't go well. But for this figure? I just might try again.

Over9K

Quote from: teamrexalltheway on September 12, 2022, 11:12:53 PM

I tried pre-ordering on Sugo toys once. It didn't go well. But for this figure? I just might try again.

How did it go sideways? I have a pre-order in with Sugo for the W-Dragon 1/20 Retro-rex, my first with them. It looks like W-Dragon has pushed the release back from September to November, but that's not Sugo's issue.

teamrexalltheway

Quote from: Over9K on September 13, 2022, 01:02:49 AM
Quote from: teamrexalltheway on September 12, 2022, 11:12:53 PM

How did it go sideways? I have a pre-order in with Sugo for the W-Dragon 1/20 Retro-rex, my first with them. It looks like W-Dragon has pushed the release back from September to November, but that's not Sugo's issue.

Well, when I first tried, they wouldn't take my card. IDK, maybe I'll customer service next time to see if they can help.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on September 12, 2022, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 12, 2022, 03:08:29 PM

Exactly, honestly I am shocked by the Brachiosaurus price, so maybe the Tyrannosaurus won't be so bad in price either.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon do you know which other sites will have this up for preorder? Thank you.

so far only Sugu has been carrying their products that I know of? Lana said somethingabout not carrying them, I think Dan decided not to or he couldn't?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: