You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Diplodocus carnegii "CATCH THE RAINBOW" & "STARGAZER"

Started by GojiraGuy1954, May 07, 2022, 01:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on September 22, 2022, 12:38:06 PMTo be fair to REBOR, Monty is a pretty old figure and I doubt they will repeat that major mistake again, + it may be a stiffer material.

I've always been a pretty big fan of REBOR, it's cool to see them improve, and I have high hopes for them! I wish them the best on their current projects.
Yes, it's good not to hold the shortfalls and PR failings of the past against them. Being pleased with their advancements is a win-win for them and us, avatar_Lynx @Lynx .

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on September 22, 2022, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 22, 2022, 05:27:29 AM
Quote from: Bread on September 22, 2022, 03:36:02 AMHonestly the colors really have to "wow" me with this one to justify a purchase.

For those who don't use facebook:

Edit: Also, where the hell is this Carnotaurus repaint seen here we've been expecting for quite some time now?!

its pretty good sized i'll give it that. interested to see the finished product.

lol apparently its right there in the studio.  There are a lot of repaints we are missing though..still waiting on those Primal Rage ones..

No kidding, I need that Sauron variant!

Right? I bought that darn Blizzard/Kong ages ago to go with him..

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 22, 2022, 12:05:06 PMAt that size a Diplodocus is just too big for easy display.  And I fear it will have a very obvious tail join in order to facilitate packaging/postage.  It would need to be wonderful indeed to tempt me, as I'm happy with my fairly recent Eofauna purchase.

It's about the size of Safari's Dippys I think all stretched out?

SidB

What with a rumored PNSO diplo, it suddenly seems that we are experiencing a potential surfeit. I'd have been much happier with a barasaurus or some other large but unrepresented genus. Well, at least we won't lack for choice, however circumscribed, in the diplodocus department.

Bucklander

Something tells me the tail will be bendable.

ceratopsian

Yes, I think that's probably right.  But I already have those Safaris (as well as the Eofauna).  Hence for me personally that's enough for this taxon.  But it's good that people who want a Dippy have plenty of choice.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 22, 2022, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on September 22, 2022, 12:05:06 PMAt that size a Diplodocus is just too big for easy display.  And I fear it will have a very obvious tail join in order to facilitate packaging/postage.  It would need to be wonderful indeed to tempt me, as I'm happy with my fairly recent Eofauna purchase.

It's about the size of Safari's Dippys I think all stretched out?

Flaffy

I'm just hoping the Diplo's success will lead to an alive adult Nigersaurus figure.

Pliosaurking

I have eofunas, but I will still get this figure if I really like it. Hopefully they give it a really great paint job!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SidB on September 22, 2022, 04:25:55 PMWhat with a rumored PNSO diplo, it suddenly seems that we are experiencing a potential surfeit. I'd have been much happier with a barasaurus or some other large but unrepresented genus. Well, at least we won't lack for choice, however circumscribed, in the diplodocus department.

Yeah, I'd have preferred a less frequently made genus, but given the prominence of "Dippy" in the psyche of British paleo enthusiasts, it's understandable.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2022, 11:55:13 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 22, 2022, 04:25:55 PMWhat with a rumored PNSO diplo, it suddenly seems that we are experiencing a potential surfeit. I'd have been much happier with a barasaurus or some other large but unrepresented genus. Well, at least we won't lack for choice, however circumscribed, in the diplodocus department.

Yeah, I'd have preferred a less frequently made genus, but given the prominence of "Dippy" in the psyche of British paleo enthusiasts, it's understandable.
Yes, and possibly inevitable. No sense standing in the way of a steamroller.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on September 22, 2022, 05:56:57 PMI'm just hoping the Diplo's success will lead to an alive adult Nigersaurus figure.

Or that Appalachiosaurus..

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on September 22, 2022, 05:56:57 PMI'm just hoping the Diplo's success will lead to an alive adult Nigersaurus figure.
I'd probably buy that, but considering there's still no live Tenontosaurus, I'm not holding my breath.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

New pics of the figure with bendy wire neck and tail, and maybe an articulated jaw as well?

Really like the attention to detail on this one. Not 100% sure about the spikes and skin detail, but the Eofauna also had spikes at least. I'll have to dig for it since if I recall right the spikes were no longer thought to belong to Diplodocus, and wasn't there skin impressions? Anyways still looks rather nice, and I'm also really glad the claws (and lack thereof) is correct, that it has lips, and it has nostrils in the right area (not on top of the head). Now I'm just wondering what the colorations will be for this one? I really dig the coloration the Eofauna one has, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Edit: A quick look at wikipedia shows they weren't explicitly found alongside Diplodocus, but were or could have been from its relatives instead. However Diplodocus sp. does have some skin detail preserved, possibly from a juvenile individual:

QuoteDiplodocus sp. scale shapes. These scale shapes include (1) rectangular, (2) ovoid and dome, (3) arching scale rows, (4) globular.

It's also nice that there will be another to join their Ceratosaurus, Saurophaganax/Allosaurus, and Stegosaurus, which will make for a nice little display of the Morrison formation fauna.

Edit 2: Here's some other images in case folks want to compare them to the above. Most of my thoughts were regarding these images, as they popped up on instagram recently, and I missed them earlier. I do see they are in the op however. I also just noticed they gave it the correct horseshoe style shape to the manus as well. I hope to see more like this one, and the T. rex in the future. I think the first two images confirm it has an articulated jaw as well. I'm also not sure if it has the cloaca present though? But not a big deal if it doesn't I suppose.

Edit: Fixed the broken FB images now, replaced with re-uploaded imgur ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Once again, we see REBOR making a very nice and rather accurate model. I'll see if I can pick this one up.

Also curious what it's colors will be like. This sauropod has a surprising amount of diversity color-wise in the market so I am excited to see what REBORs take on it will be.
An oversized house cat.

Joliezac

Really loving how this model looks so far. The bendable neck and tail are a great idea and are perfect for display/photos. I'd love to pick it up and display it alongside Eofauna's  :D

Carnoking

I thought they were just doing two different head sculpts instead of an articulated jaw, kind of like what they did with King Trident's horns. Of course, I'd be delighted if they just committed to the jaw articulation so I wouldn't have to choose between an open or closed mouth  :P

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Oh that possibly could be it. I had no idea which they were doing exactly.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

the poesability certainly lends one to want to make herds..

dinofelid

Quote from: Over9K on September 22, 2022, 07:05:41 AMEDIT: Ok, I did a quick and dirty, non-scientific size comparison, using the photo and I'll revise my length estimate to 34", still a massive figure!!

Nice, like a lot of collectors these days I have a bunch of 1:35 scale dinosaurs which I like to display together, 34 inches at that scale would be 99 feet or 30 meters, and the article here says "An adult Diplodocus might attain a body length in excess of 30 m". Though checking the reference (the book Jurassic West: The Dinosaurs of the Morrison Formation and their World), it says that Diplodocus hallorum was the species that could reach such sizes--the author says the type specimen might have been 33-36 m long--while Diplodocus carnegii is said here to be more like 24-26 meters long. But I'd bet this model could probably work equally well for either one (from what I've read even the more accurate sauropod models almost never get the proportions exactly right--the head is usually proportionally too big for example--with the possible exception of the Diplodocus from Eofauna, but that one is 1:40).

Bread

That second pose is nice, I find these way more appealing than Eofauna's so far. Really just because of the rubber neck.

Now... please avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO reveal the colors! Also, where the f*** flip are those Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus figures!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: