News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

LIFE ON OUR PLANET

Started by CarnotaurusKing, November 01, 2022, 06:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Another paleo-documentary (not that I'm complaining). CGI's a step-up from Stephen Fry's "Dinosaur", and it's not often you see Anchiornis or Maiasaura (?) in a paleo-documentary. Also happy we're covering the Palaeozoic as well. Mixed feelings about the Jurassic Park roar from the Tyrannosaurus though. Overall, however, I'm excited.

Lynx

Just wow. I didn't expect much at first, but this has surpassed my expectations. Such beautiful animation, and surprisingly good dinosaur designs. Plus the fact that it is on Netflix, and this seems like a decent documentary already.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

I'm not super taken just yet in regards to the paleo aspect (obviously the nature doc stuff looks just as good as you'd hope). I think Prehistoric Planet has just set too high a bar for me :o

Faelrin

Nice to have another prehistoric documentary popping up, and with beyond the Mesozoic. I'm also looking forward to those other nature docs on the way. Anyways, it really does feel like we're in a rebirth of documentaries post Prehistoric Planet (never mind the Forgotten Bloodlines: Agate one with Daeodon, etc still being worked on). Prehistoric Planet may have set the bar high, but at least these designs look good. Very glad to see the Paleozoic in some way will be featured as well what with that Arthropleura they teased.

I've seen on instagram that Morgan Freeman will be narrating this series, which has got me excited as well. He might not be Sir David Attenborough, but he does have a great voice for narrating docs. Here's an article confirming it:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/netflix-plots-natural-history-push-morgan-freeman-to-narrate-two-series-26-david-attenborough-returns-with-season-2-of-e2-80-98our-planet-e2-80-99/ar-AA13CnxG

Lol at the JP T. rex roar. I think it was just a place holder thrown in there. Didn't quite sync up with the animation there.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brocc21

It's been too long since we've had some good dino docs. Hopefully Prehistoric Planet was just the first of a long line of new shows. It looks fantastic, and I don't even need to get a new streaming service just to watch this one show! Interestingly they've decided to make what I think is their Anchiornis blue. Were the black feathers rolled back on or is this just some form of sexual dimorphism?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Gwangi

This looks good. Honestly, they all do. Looking forward to all of them.

Lynx

Quote from: Brocc21 on November 01, 2022, 11:27:45 PMIt's been too long since we've had some good dino docs. Hopefully Prehistoric Planet was just the first of a long line of new shows. It looks fantastic, and I don't even need to get a new streaming service just to watch this one show! Interestingly they've decided to make what I think is their Anchiornis blue. Were the black feathers rolled back on or is this just some form of sexual dimorphism?

I think it is just the lighting, but I may be wrong. Will double check.

Edit: Checked again, 100% just the lighting making it seem blue.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

Very excited for all of them, especially Our Universe.

As for the prehistoric ones, they look really nice. However the animations, especially the roaring, is very unnatural.
I hope it is of prehistoirc Planet quality, i suppose so

Bread

I think this looks great!

I am not worried about CGI quality. I feel like Prehistoric Planet was at such a high quality due to its funding and those who were part of it. I feel as though other documentaries should not be put down or compared to Prehistoric Planet's CGI quality.

A paleo documentary can be just as good or even better than Prehistoric Planet despite lesser quality in CGI/Visual Effects.

Hyped for more content!

Dynomikegojira

Glad I have Netflix I'm definitely checking this out. I wonder if this is a multi episode series. Definitely the best looking cgi paleo stuff I've seen since Prehistoric Planet.

Just checked it's 8 parts that's awesome.

Concavenator

That looks great! Too bad I don't have Netflix.  :-[

Bread

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 02, 2022, 03:53:56 PMThat looks great! Too bad I don't have Netflix.  :-[
I'd be open to create a temporary netflix account to share amongst a group here.

I also don't have netflix but when this is released, I will be creating a temporary account.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2022, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 02, 2022, 03:53:56 PMThat looks great! Too bad I don't have Netflix.  :-[
I'd be open to create a temporary netflix account to share amongst a group here.

I also don't have netflix but when this is released, I will be creating a temporary account.
Very generous of you.

Faelrin

Isn't Netflix charging more for people that share accounts now (or will be soon)? I heard quite a bit of a fuss regarding something like that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

Oh, that looks very promising!!  :))

As avatar_Bread @Bread has said, Walking With Dinosaurs was an incredible documentary without a superhigh quality of CGI, and so I expect this to be so! And the CGI looks very good, too.

Go on, Netflix!! :)) We love prehistoric life!

Carnoking

Quote from: Carnoking on November 01, 2022, 06:50:13 PMI'm not super taken just yet in regards to the paleo aspect (obviously the nature doc stuff looks just as good as you'd hope). I think Prehistoric Planet has just set too high a bar for me :o

I feel I should clarify that I don't feel the CGI is bad, far from it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it receives additional refinement before the actual release given how a common a practice that is when it comes to finalizing VFX. I'm just not quite sold on some of the movement and designs just yet.
YET being the operative word given that we've only seen precious little of the paleo aspect of the series and, like I said, additional tweaks could be underway. Either way, I'm keen to see more and am glad more services are throwing good money and effort into creating quality paleo documentaries.

Pliosaurking

I'm excited for all these documentaries!
The prehistoric doc looks very good And while it's not Prehistoric Planet, (I don't think anything will top it, anytime soon) I'm glad animals from multiple time periods are being featured, and Morgan Freeman is the narrator!

Halichoeres

I have found Netflix documentaries really hit-or-miss, but I'll definitely check this one out. I'm stoked to see the Arthropleura wrestling (mating?).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2022, 02:22:53 AMA paleo documentary can be just as good or even better than Prehistoric Planet despite lesser quality in CGI/Visual Effects.

You can already tell from the animal design that they didnt listen to the consultants like they did on PrePlanet
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 02, 2022, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2022, 04:38:59 PM

Very generous of you.

Of course! My only issue would be we need some sort of discord/email group chat, or whatever, to really be sure this can work.
And again, I'd only have it open for a week or two, depending on the release date(s) of episodes, which are hopefully all at once or each day and episode releases.

Quote from: Faelrin on November 02, 2022, 08:36:44 PMIsn't Netflix charging more for people that share accounts now (or will be soon)? I heard quite a bit of a fuss regarding something like that.

I believe you can only have 3-4 user profiles within the account. That's all I know. If they are charging more, I'll just have the shared users compensate the additional fee. If that makes sense.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: