You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2023

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 08, 2022, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Tyrannosaurus rex / "imperator" FMNH PR2081 SUE

Digital Images
Spoiler
Reveal Image

Quote from: EoFauna Scientific ResearchSue #Tyrannosaurus step-by-step restoration.🦖💻
ℹ️Note: we found that at the rear end of the jaws there is not enough space to contain the outer skin folding in. So, the cheek extending down from the jugal is similar to what is found in living theropods.
https://eofauna.com

Full Render Image

[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Rain

We're only seeing one half of it, but does anyone else feel it looks a bit too, for lack of a better term, skinny? It's silly to complain at this stage but I can't help but think that the arms look like they're too close together.

I'm sure it's just the angle but thought I'd share anyway.

Lynx

Quote from: Rain on November 08, 2022, 02:43:14 PMWe're only seeing one half of it, but does anyone else feel it looks a bit too, for lack of a better term, skinny? It's silly to complain at this stage but I can't help but think that the arms look like they're too close together.

Wanted to see if anyone noticed this as well. Until we get a front view, the skin feels quite a bit plastered onto the bone. Maybe it's just me and tyrannosaurus is being made overly chunky in other reconstructions, but it seemingly is on the skinnier side.
An oversized house cat.

Rain

I agree, it looks a bit laterally compressed right now. My first thought upon seeing it was "Huh, it looks a lot like the REBOR GNG rex", a model that was also a bit too thin.

Lynx

This issue is made a bit larger considering it is meant to be Sue.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Rain on November 08, 2022, 02:43:14 PMWe're only seeing one half of it, but does anyone else feel it looks a bit too, for lack of a better term, skinny? It's silly to complain at this stage but I can't help but think that the arms look like they're too close together.

The actual Sue mount is improperly set up so it looks wider than it would have been in life

CARN0TAURUS

I wonder what the timeframe for this release will be.  I'm thinking May 2023 at earliest?

CARN0TAURUS

I see the chest being very deep from top to bottom unlike most Tyrannosaur models, how wide it will be is undetermined from  this, not enough has been shown.  I'm expecting a heavy beefy tail too so she's going to be big and curvy  :)

CARN0TAURUS

One thing that really pops is how incredibly massive her head was!  The neck looks appropriately equiped to handle the burden too!

I can't wait, been anticipating this for five years since the mammoth release.

suspsy

I think people are making up their minds too soon based on a single image of what is clearly not the final product. We need to see a painted version from multiple angles. Hopefully that will be soon.

I wonder if Eofauna will bother with that slow "curtain raise" reveal that they've done with previous releases. I suppose it would still be neat to see the colour scheme teased out.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ludodactylus

I agree avatar_suspsy @suspsy , I want to see the finished figure before I pass any judgment. The Eofauna Triceratops is one of my favorite figures in my collection and I'd love to have a "matched set" with a Tyrannosaurus.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on November 09, 2022, 05:23:18 PMI think people are making up their minds too soon based on a single image of what is clearly not the final product. We need to see a painted version from multiple angles. Hopefully that will be soon.

I wonder if Eofauna will bother with that slow "curtain raise" reveal that they've done with previous releases. I suppose it would still be neat to see the colour scheme teased out.
They didnt with the Diplo so I doubt it. Maybe we're getting two at once again

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Over9K

Quote from: Rain on November 08, 2022, 03:40:19 PMI agree, it looks a bit laterally compressed right now. My first thought upon seeing it was "Huh, it looks a lot like the REBOR GNG rex", a model that was also a bit too thin.

"A bit too thin"? The GNG rex and PNSO's Wilson 1.0 are built like Iggy Pop, lean to an unhealthy level.

IMO, If one accepts the idea that REBOR's Kiss is a touch over muscled (Vin Diesel?), then EoFauna's Sue render is more akin to say, Chris Pratt, not skinny, not fat, muscled without being over-cut. 

SidB

It's too early to say that 'Kisses' reign is over yet. After all, the knives are already out over the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus.

Sim

I would argue that Kiss never had a reign to begin with, due to those evil eyes REBOR gave it.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on November 15, 2022, 09:11:12 PMI would argue that Kiss never had a reign to begin with, due to those evil eyes REBOR gave it.
Clearly you haven't felt their lure. The window to the soul ...hmm.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim The eyes are yellow with a black round pupil. Nothing "evil" about that. Do you mean the keratin brows? I thought that was commonly accepted on T. rex these days? PNSO, and BotM also have them, if not others.

Come to think of it, hard for me to tell here, but it almost looks like Eofauna's sculpt lacks them? I'll have to check again when I have access to my laptop in another week or so.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I was referring to how the figure has black around its eyes that makes it look evil.  Black around the eyes doesn't necessarily have that effect but on REBOR's figure it does in my opinion, and I have the feeling it was intentional.

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I don't think avatar_Sim @Sim referred to the keratin brows, which are fine, but rather the sort of "angry expression" the eyes give off (avatar_Sim @Sim you beat me to it) . Not sure I would necessarily qualify that as an inaccuracy, but those eyes are certainly not what you'd envision when you think of a real, living animal, they feel more akin to one of those movie monsters.

I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim in that I never believed the Rebor Kiss to be the best T.rex figure either, and even less I considered it to be the "ultimate, definitive" figure of the species that I've some people mention. Its main problem is the musculature, which they got wrong. That detail is clearly more important than the eyes thing. I think that figure was overhyped, at least relatively compared to the BotM (which was already a thing by the time the Rebor was announced, and could have easily be considered the "ultimate/definitive" T.rex instead) and this upcoming Eofauna. I think maybe it's because the BotM & Eofauna figures are just excellent representations, like their figures usually are, whereas the Rebor Kiss immediately stood out of Rebor's lineup for the mere reason of being an attempt at a scientifically accurate figure when they never cared for scientific accuracy. What it also had going for it is that it was the first mass-produced T.rex to be chunky (even if actually too much) and have "lips" and those 2 things are what a lot of people were looking for). Props to Rebor for at least giving it a try though.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin on to the Eofauna's keratin brows, check this post out:

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 08, 2022, 11:20:47 PMI also asked them if they will keep using the T.imperator name and apparently yes, they will. They also told me Paul and colleagues have found more diagnostic traits supporting their hypothesis ever since, and that this work is ongoing. From what they said this work may take some years to publish. Moreover, I saw this on Facebook:

(in response to someone who asked why the pre- and post-orbital lumps weren't more developed)

It looks like they have access to some of the unpublished information, I imagine they contacted the authors.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: