News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DramaticoRising on November 10, 2022, 08:21:49 PMWhat's the appeal in general for kids or anyone else with battle damaged dinosaurs? On one hand I can imagine a kid having a scenario where a dinosaur is being healed or taken care of by a medic or whatever, but I feel like it ultimately depresses kids haha

Just like Grant said in JP3.. "these are carnivores and they really like to fight "

YesIAmaDinosaur

Thanks for all the insights! While I always made dinosaurs fight, I think as a kid I was always way more concerned with treatments, keeping species apart, upholding the order that never seemed to work in the movies. Makes sense that kids would want to see the injuries come to life, though.

Too fun!
@DramaticoRising on YouTube and Instagram

Blade-of-the-Moon

Got these for my birthday ( gift for myself, my family has no idea what to buy lol )

ceratopsian

Often the best presents!  My husband throws up his hands in defeat and I buy my own too!

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Happy birthday. Congrats on the new figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

One of the woes of being an adult collector is that generally, few of any family members are willing to indulge your hobby. Me, I would be perfectly content if all I ever received as presents were books, gift cards, or straight up cash.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Those are two of the Dino Trackers I'm looking forward to the most, congrats!

My wife and sister have recently started buying me figures for various occasions. Having a wish list helps.

Flaffy

A shame the Diabloceratops has the awful slider button... The lack of paint application is quite noticeable with these recent releases too.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on November 15, 2022, 09:49:55 PMA shame the Diabloceratops has the awful slider button... The lack of paint application is quite noticeable with these recent releases too.

I think the Sinotyrannus has a decent paintjob. I like the color choices and facial pattern, and there's paint on the tail, which is rare these days for Mattel. I like the red for the Diabloceratops but I do wish all the horns were at least painted, which they did do with the Pentaceratops IIRC. I hate the slider buttons too though, I thought they were a thing of the past but I guess not.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks all!

The color is nice on the Sinotyrannus, I like the subtle green around the arm and shoulders. I'm calling him a Christmas Dino lol

The Diabloceratops is nicely detailed if it's a bit too much red.  The buttons don't really bother me.

DinoFan2010

I really hope that they make a new version of the Red Rex and the Sprinters for the JP30 line. A Mattel Coelophysis toy is long overdue, especially considering the fact that they already are making an Elaphrosaurus.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Flaffy

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on November 17, 2022, 03:19:22 PMA Mattel Coelophysis toy is long overdue

TBH I just treat the Ornitholestes as a Coelophysis, as the figure looks nothing like the former, and resembles the latter a lot more.

DinoFan2010

Yeah, but I would love a Coelopysid(?) That is nice and skinny like the Kenner one, preferably posable.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Gwangi

I used to think I wanted a Mattel Coelophysis but they've done so many small, lithe theropods that I don't really feel the desire for a Coelophysis from them anymore.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Prehistory Resurrection

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on November 21, 2022, 03:21:24 AM

What an odd one, love more feathers on em but why this species?  the red on the eye is a lot too with that red facial marking

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 21, 2022, 03:52:54 AM
Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on November 21, 2022, 03:21:24 AM

What an odd one, love more feathers on em but why this species?  the red on the eye is a lot too with that red facial marking

The irony is that Mattel puts feathers on species which most probably didn't have feathers whereas it's the opposite for most likely feathered species. The red splash of paint on the eye reminds me of a battle scar; which is a nice touch. The cartoony-looking teeth and feathers are downsides for me but obscure species are always a pleasure to see in figure form.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: