News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Smaller dinosaurs around 1/35 scale

Started by jc_4130, November 15, 2022, 02:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc_4130

Are there any good (quality, accurate) models of smaller dinosaurs around 1/35 scale?   Dromaeosaurs for example.  Apologies if this has already been discussed, feel free to point me to older threads thanks!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm not sure of the exact scale, but the Safari feathered dinosaurs toob Velociraptor feels close. Maybe some of the others in that set as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

Wild Past has a 3D printed Velociraptor in that scale on their shapeways I think? They also have Protoceratops and Tethyshadros in that scale.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dinofelid

Quote from: Faelrin on November 15, 2022, 04:03:06 PMWild Past has a 3D printed Velociraptor in that scale on their shapeways I think? They also have Protoceratops and Tethyshadros in that scale.

Wild Past's own site has a message at the top of some pages (like this one) saying "the 3D printing shop has to close again for health reasons", but like you said their shapeways page is still available here, they have a pair of mating Velociraptors and a face-off between a Psittacosaurus and a large Cretaceous mammal that are at 1:35 scale. For their non-3D printed 1:35 models, Dan's Dinosaurs has Wild Past's Protoceratops and their Tethyshadros.

The Hypsilophodon family, Dilophosaurus, and Kentrosaurus from CollectA all seem to work at 1:35 scale. The Kaiyodo Furuta Pachycephalosaurus has a tail that's proportionally too short so its overall length is too small, but the rest of the body is about right for 1:35 scale, going by the size chart here. And although the Kaiyodo Utahraptor and Ornithomimus shown here don't work at 1:35 scale if you go with those names, you could treat the Utahraptor as an Achillobator and the Ornithomimus as a Struthiomimus sedens, then they'd both be about right for 1:35 aside from the fact that once again the tails are proportionally a bit too short. And the Kaiyodo Oviraptor could maybe double as Anzu wyliei at 1:35, or maybe the "Big Mama" Citipati.

Remko

Thanks D @dinofelid for the tip about Kentrosaurus and the hypsilophodon family.

The Kentrosaurus will do nicely as an addition to my Tendaguru fauna together with W-dragon's Giraffatitan and the Dicraeosaurus.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The Collecta Struthiomimus, Megalosaurus, Einiosaurus, and Regaliceratops are all at about that scale too, as is the newer Safari Dilophosaurus.
I always get Toob sets when they contain creatures that could work for my 1/35-1/40 collection. I too recommend all the non-standard prehistoric ones you can get your hands on. The basic Safari Dinosaurs and Carnivorous Dinosaurs Toobs aren't really worth it, but the Feathered Dinosaurs, Prehistoric Crocodilians, and Prehistoric Sharks are absolutely worth it, though the latter two are discontinued and may be hard to find.
Some of the Collecta equivalents of Toobs have models that work in that scale, too. The Mini Dinosaurs Set 3 has Oviraptor and Guidraco at about the right size, and the Mini Prehistoric Marine Animals and the Mini Mammals set both have some species of the right size as well.

dinofelid

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 17, 2022, 03:50:50 AMThe Collecta Struthiomimus, Megalosaurus, Einiosaurus, and Regaliceratops are all at about that scale too,
The CollectA Struthiomimus is probably too large to work as that genus at 1:35, though it could work as a Gallimimus. Its head is about 7 cm high (2.45 m at 1:35), and about 5 cm (1.75 m) at the top of the hips, so larger than the largest Struthiomimus shown in this scale diagram, but about right for the Gallimimus in this one.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 17, 2022, 03:50:50 AMas is the newer Safari Dilophosaurus.

The CollectA Dilophosaurus is also about the right size, and it's more accurate than the Safari one in the way the crests appear to extend from side of the snout rather than the top, I learned about this issue in some posts on the Favorite co. thread here and here.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: dinofelid on November 17, 2022, 07:13:06 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 17, 2022, 03:50:50 AMThe Collecta Struthiomimus, Megalosaurus, Einiosaurus, and Regaliceratops are all at about that scale too,
The CollectA Struthiomimus is probably too large to work as that genus at 1:35, though it could work as a Gallimimus. Its head is about 7 cm high (2.45 m at 1:35), and about 5 cm (1.75 m) at the top of the hips, so larger than the largest Struthiomimus shown in this scale diagram, but about right for the Gallimimus in this one.

Oh really? I thought Gallimimus was slightly larger. Huh, well, now I now.

Remko

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 18, 2022, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on November 17, 2022, 07:13:06 PM

Oh really? I thought Gallimimus was slightly larger. Huh, well, now I now.

Most people know Gallimimus only from Jurassic Park. But it was actually quite a large animal. Much larger and stockier than it's North-American cousins.
Struthiomimus was very similar in size and shape to it's modern namesake, just with a long tail and claws.

But a nice high-end model of a Ornithomimosaur would be very welcome. These animals are very much overlooked, probably because they aren't interesting enough. Not that big (except for Gallimimus), no huge heads, big teeth, frills, plates, horns or anything.

Halichoeres

Here's a list of 1:30 - 1:40 smaller figures in my collection. Some are Yowie, which probably isn't going to meet your accuracy needs, but I included them just in case. "Life" means the Life game pieces by Oammararak. The scales are my point estimates, but you can assume error bars on either side of various sizes. The PNSO ones are from their "Little Dinosaurs" series and Safari figures are Toob figures.

Terataspis   LIFE   30
Serendipaceratops   Science & Nature   30.1
Orthacanthus   Safari Ltd   31.1
Slimonia   LIFE   31.2
Carcinosoma   LIFE   31.7
Siderops   Yowie   31.8
Hypsilophodon   CollectA   32.2
Xiongguanlong   CollectA   32.4
Koshisaurus   Favorite   32.6
Equinoxiodus   Dino Hazard   32.8
Pleuromeia   Schmalkalder   33.3
Stygimoloch   Takara Tomy   33.3
Suchodus (cf.)   Safari Ltd   33.6
Metriorhynchus   Kaiyodo   33.7
Isotelus   LIFE   34.3
Atlascopcosaurus   Yowie   34.7
Plesiosuchus   Safari Ltd   35.1
Desmatosuchus   Schleich   35.4
Diplomoceras   CollectA   35.8
Pholiderpeton (=Eogyrinus)   Play Visions   35.8
Nothosaurus   Safari Ltd   36.6
Pteranodon   Kaiyodo   36.8
Huayangosaurus   PNSO   37.3
Struthiomimus   Kaiyodo   37.7
Lystrosaurus   Kaiyodo   37.9
Umoonasaurus (=Cryptoclidus)   Yowie   38.1
Fukuiraptor   Kaiyodo   38.2
Panderichthys   LIFE   38.2
Plesiosaurus   Kaiyodo   38.3
Dimetrodon   Kaiyodo   38.5
Tethyshadros   Wild Past   38.8
Megalosaurus   CollectA   39.4
Metriacanthosaurus   CollectA   39.4
Baculites   CollectA   39.4
Parapuzosia   CollectA   39.4
Dakosaurus   PNSO   39.8
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures