News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

New angle of the Koolasuchus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Are the eyes just black holes?

SidB

Gums, feet, eyes and on the top of the head - there seems to be a a fair bit of black/blackish application - kind of like it, actually.

Flaffy

While it's cool that CollectA referenced Siderop's incredibly rugose skull, this however begs the question as to whether these grooves would've been this prominent in life.

I'd imagine at least some of the indents would've been covered by soft tissue or sensory organs.

Halichoeres

I'm not ignoring the temnospondyl skin questions, I'm just traveling and it's inconvenient to check references on my phone. I'll write more when I'm back at a proper computer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

I'll say it now, I heavily, heavily dislike their color choice for the Mosasaurus. It's easily repaintable, thankfully, but the pure gray is just so meh to me.

I've never liked pure gray mosasaurs, at the very least (like the old Mosasaurus), some stripes, even if faint, would be nice. (I just realized it does indeed have stripes, though basic. Couple points there.)

It's the same complaint I make for every company, don't make a design pure brown/gray/green. It doesn't need to be neon and flashy, but should have variation.

The Safari LTD Kronosaurus is a wonderful example of how to make a nice looking and stand-out color scheme while not being considered absurd.

Will be trying to do a custom repaint if I do pick it up (which I probably will, as I adore almost all the releases of this year otherwise.)
An oversized house cat.

Pliosaurking

As far as I know temnospondyls had smooth skin, some had scales, and some even had osteoderms. No clue about koolasuchus, it could have had either, although I've never seen it reconstructed with scales it may have had them.

DinoToyForum

I've added some exclusive new images to the Dinosaur Toy Blog showing most of the 2023 CollectA figures from different angles: https://dinotoyblog.com/2022/11/25/upcoming-releases-from-collecta-new-for-2023/

Faelrin

I feel like the grey background helps bring out some of the detail better, like with the Mosasaurus. I think these were the same shots given to avatar_SpinoDude @SpinoDude as well, but nice to see them on the blog as well, as anyone who doesn't watch his videos would miss out.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on November 28, 2022, 03:28:07 PMI feel like the grey background helps bring out some of the detail better, like with the Mosasaurus. I think these were the same shots given to avatar_SpinoDude @SpinoDude as well, but nice to see them on the blog as well, as anyone who doesn't watch his videos would miss out.

Oh! CollectA told me they were exclusive but maybe not just exclusive to the DinoToyBlog then!

Renecito

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 28, 2022, 05:49:11 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on November 28, 2022, 03:28:07 PMI feel like the grey background helps bring out some of the detail better, like with the Mosasaurus. I think these were the same shots given to avatar_SpinoDude @SpinoDude as well, but nice to see them on the blog as well, as anyone who doesn't watch his videos would miss out.

Oh! CollectA told me they were exclusive but maybe not just exclusive to the DinoToyBlog then!

Those images are indeed exclusive for DinoToyBlog, the ones shown by youtubers are different.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Flaffy

I need this Koolasuchus.

Faelrin

When did @ folks add the user image? New change? :o Took me by surprise to see that in my response above.

Also guess I'll need a look again. Thanks for the confirmation avatar_Renecito @Renecito that they are different.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on November 28, 2022, 08:08:35 PMWhen did @ folks add the user image? New change? :o Took me by surprise to see that in my response above.

Oops, that was me, I updated a plugin and forgot to update the settings. Should be back to normal now.

bmathison1972

Halichoeres

I think it will actually scale well with the WWD Leaellynasaura, so that's fun.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Absolutely love both of the last 2 figures as well.

With small but unusual animals like Stegouros, I like to have 2 figures, one really small one to scale with larger animals (which will in this case be the 3d printed one) and a larger one to show off the details.
I am glad that I ended up not getting the CollectA Deluxe Protoceratops, because there's no way I would have room for both that and the gorgeous Stegouros on my 1:1 to 1:10 scale shelf.

The Koolasuchus also looks fantastic and will go nicely with the WWD Laeallynasaura.
So few prehistoric amphibians too. It is excellent to add another.

A very good selection all round only 1 or 2 to skip.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Not only do I like that a big Deluxe Stegouros toy captures all the unique features, I actually like how it will dwarf all the other ankylosaurs in my collection.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

So are we done with reveals now? Or is there still a chance we might get some prehistoric minis this year?

suspsy

No, the reveals are finished.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: