News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Kangaroa on November 25, 2022, 12:19:40 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 25, 2022, 12:12:10 PMIn case I missed it, how big will the Koolasuchus be? I see the Stegouros appears to be '1:6' which means it will be too big for me (much like their Protoceratops, I has assumed).

21cm, so around 1:25

that's not bad if they indeed got to 5 meters long in life

Bread

Koolasuchus is an instant pickup! Definitely need that one.

Stegouros is also an instant pickup. The 1/25 scale is not too large of a scale so I can fit it into my collection. I was worried if the model was going to be 1/20+

Also, I feel as though the Stegouros color pallet works well. A lot of this genus' paleo art has a similar color pallet.

Odobenocetops

I agree on the scaly looking koolasuchus... It worries me a bit.

I'm also worried by the colour of the real figures. CollectA downgrade is not so big, but this has some of the features that got downgraded most... check the iguana from last year, for example

Pliosaurking

I love that koolasuchus, hopefully they continue making amphibians in their prehistoric lineup! The Stegouros is great but too large for me, although I think I'm gonna wait and see what it turns out like in hand, and then decide weather to get it or not. Overall next year seems in my opinion to be one of their best in recent years!

SidB

I collect 1/35 to 1/40 generally, with 1/32 and 1/45 sometimes slipping in. Less frequently I'll get figures in the 1/25-1/30 range, if I really like them, as with the Carnegie and Wild Safari Carnotaurus'. That's where something like Stegouros can fit in. It's a 'Minority Report', but still counts for display purposes from my perspective.

Ludodactylus

So this morning I learned that my wife has been utterly terrified of Koolasuchus since seeing "Walking With Dinosaurs." Guess I'm passing on that one!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Carnoking

This is the first year I recall that they had something I felt an instant tug to pickup with each week of reveals so I would definitely I would definitely say this is a banner year (from my standpoint at least). CollectA continues to convince me that they have a place on my shelves.

Quote from: Ludodactylus on November 25, 2022, 02:35:59 PMSo this morning I learned that my wife has been utterly terrified of Koolasuchus since seeing "Walking With Dinosaurs." Guess I'm passing on that one!

And weirdly enough, I'm in the same boat! Something about it looming in the frigid waters terrified me as a kid, even as someone who loved amphibians growing up!

Dusty Wren

The Koolasuchus is such a weird little gremlin, I love him. Credit to CollectA for filling their lineup with diverse and interesting species.
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

All in all I'm very pleased with this month's reveals from CollectA. I won't be buying all ten, as some don't fit my interests, but a good number of them will be coming my way in due course.

dinofelid

Quote from: Bread on November 25, 2022, 01:00:28 PMStegouros is also an instant pickup. The 1/25 scale is not too large of a scale so I can fit it into my collection. I was worried if the model was going to be 1/20+
I may be misunderstanding you, but Stegouros isn't 1/25, that was the scale for a 5-meter Koolasuchus (though it could also be more like 1/15 for a more typical 3-meter individual)--Stegourus is 1/6.

Thialfi

Perhaps someone with better knowledge than me about (Angel)shark evolution knows if the 2023 CollectA one could pass as an extinct species? Angelsharks have been around for about 160 million years and I am under the impression that besides some changes in their neurocranium their body shape hasn't changed too much. I could be awfully wrong of course! Either way, I dig this little flat dude.

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on November 25, 2022, 03:22:16 PMThis is the first year I recall that they had something I felt an instant tug to pickup with each week of reveals so I would definitely I would definitely say this is a banner year (from my standpoint at least). CollectA continues to convince me that they have a place on my shelves.

Quote from: Ludodactylus on November 25, 2022, 02:35:59 PMSo this morning I learned that my wife has been utterly terrified of Koolasuchus since seeing "Walking With Dinosaurs." Guess I'm passing on that one!

And weirdly enough, I'm in the same boat! Something about it looming in the frigid waters terrified me as a kid, even as someone who loved amphibians growing up!

It's those round, pure black eyes that are devoid of any emotion.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Quote from: Thialfi on November 25, 2022, 07:34:22 PMPerhaps someone with better knowledge than me about (Angel)shark evolution knows if the 2023 CollectA one could pass as an extinct species? Angelsharks have been around for about 160 million years and I am under the impression that besides some changes in their neurocranium their body shape hasn't changed too much. I could be awfully wrong of course! Either way, I dig this little flat dude.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres your expertise is required ;)

But yeah that Angelshark is a gem alright. Missed out on the PV version so definitely going to add this one to the collection.

Halichoeres

I do believe I've been summoned. The fossil record of the genus Squatina goes back to the late Jurassic, and there are Cretaceous fossils (mostly teeth) from all over the Northern Hemisphere. I don't know of any Mesozoic fossils from the Southern Hemisphere, but that might just be an effect of sampling effort. Anyway, those extinct ones would probably have had quite minor differences from modern ones, so I think this angel shark can be at home in a variety of Cretaceous displays.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with this lineup from CollectA, great variety. I have 7 definite yeses:

Brighstoneus
Hadrosaurus
Koolasuchus!!!! (side note, there is an excellent chance this animal would have been scaly in life)
Mosasaurus
Ruyangosaurus
Shastasaurus
Stegouros (despite being a bit larger than I'd have specified if I were in charge)

1 maybe:
Ceratosuchops, which looks nice but do I need another fragmentary spinosaurid?

2 noes:
Anomalocaris (the first CollectA prehistoric invertebrate I'll skip)
Triceratops
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 25, 2022, 09:20:27 PMI do believe I've been summoned. The fossil record of the genus Squatina goes back to the late Jurassic, and there are Cretaceous fossils (mostly teeth) from all over the Northern Hemisphere. I don't know of any Mesozoic fossils from the Southern Hemisphere, but that might just be an effect of sampling effort. Anyway, those extinct ones would probably have had quite minor differences from modern ones, so I think this angel shark can be at home in a variety of Cretaceous displays.

That's great to know! Into the cart the Angelshark goes. Maybe I'll even replace all the angel ornaments on my christmas tree this year to angelsharks! ;D

QuoteKoolasuchus!!!! (side note, there is an excellent chance this animal would have been scaly in life)

Oh! I was unaware of this. What's the evidence supporting a scaly Koolasuchus? I was under the impression that only earlier members of temnospondyli had scales. But I admit I am not familiar with the group as a whole.

Thialfi

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres thank you for your Angelshark analysis, wholeheartedly appreciated!

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Just chiming in to say I am also curious to learn more about Koolasuchus possibly being scaly. It would be good to know more about that ahead of time, since I'd like to review this one for the blog.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

Stegouros does fall into that same brown/white/yellow trap a lot of the CollectA models have fallen but it's a nice and dynamic figure at least.
The Koolasuchus is amazing, we've been due a figure of this one for SO long and depicting it open-mouthed is a great choice imo. Also interested in the integument bits.
Here's to hoping for more amphibians but this is a really nice lineup!

bmathison1972

Here are my 2023 CollectA 'yes' choices (including extant animals)

1. Amazon River Dolphin
2. Jersey cow
3. Hadrosaurus
4. Honey ant
5. Anomalocaris
6. Brighstoneus
7. Rough collie
8. Mosasaurus
9. Koolasuchus
10. Angel shark

ceratopsian

I won't get the Shastasaurus and Mosasaurus (not my collecting area) nor the Triceratops (bought the deluxe and the Melbourne exclusive this year and have a huge herd of others). But most likely everything else.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: